“A little throw back from yester year” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coquina On The Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Coquina On The Beach
Save Saved
You added Coquina On The Beach to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1008 Ben Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #24 of 48 hotels in Sarasota
Orlando, Florida
“A little throw back from yester year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

If your a bit snooty and uppity, this wonderful little hotel from the 40's is not for you. The Helmsley
Is right next store. It is my third visit and enjoyed it very much. From the sign in cards, a real door
Key and towel sign out sheet, it was a throw back to simple times that we wanted. The other guests were from all over the world. The small court yard was alive with international energy. We
Come to pattle board with two protected beaches on each end of the island, it is short distance to
Each of the inlets with mana rays swimming everyway. If your a SUP or kayaker- this is the place to stay! Scott Kiesling

Room Tip: Wear flip fops when walking around, bear feet hurt with all the sea shells
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
On behalf of all of us at Coquina on the Beach, we want to thank you for your recent stay with us!

We really appreciate the time you took to write this review and share your opinion with us and others. It’s great to hear that you all enjoyed your stay and were able to get in some quality time paddle-boarding right on the beach here.

While we do work very hard on keeping our accommodations clean, comfy and updated – we still strive to keep up the charm of this quaint, old-Florida and family owned beach hotel. We are happy to still be providing affordable accommodations to returning guests and families year after year.

We’re glad you’re one of them and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kindly, -Tom Q., GM

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We've been staying at Coquina for over 15 years and hope to keep coming back for years to come. As well as a fantastic location on Lido Beach, which offers beautiful sunsets and miles of white sand. Coquina has good sized rooms which are kept spotlessly clean, a small kitchen area and really great showers. You get the privacy you don't get when staying at a hotel or big resort, and the staff are friendly and always on hand to help and take pride in the place, especially Tom and Amy. I travel a lot and stay in all types of hotels from 5* chains to small motels. I can honestly say that Coquina is one of my favourite places to stay. Top tip: You must take a beer or a glass of wine to the beach at sunset, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room by the pool or beach on the upper floors, great balcony and view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
From all of us at Coquina on the Beach, thank you for your recent stay with us and this review!

It’s always great to hear from guests who return each year. We can’t thank you enough!

We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed a couple sunsets at the beach and consider us one of your favorite spots to return to year after year.

We look forward to your next stay. Cheers!
-Tom Q., GM
HIALEAH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

What can I say about Coquina me, my husband and couple of friends we stay at the motel twice a year, we are being doing it for around eight years now, and to tell you the truth we cant wait for summer next year, every single friend I recommend the place they love it too. The staff are great people they treat you like family any thing you ask they always tried to please you and if you take your pets they are going to like too. LOVE IT!

Room Tip: rooms facing the beach
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
From all of us at Coquina on the Beach, Hi! We always look forward to your returning stays each summer, too! :)
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review to let us and others know how much you enjoy our property and accommodations. It’s always a pleasure to have you stay with us year after year. We sincerely appreciate your patronage and all those recommendations to friends over the years.
See you soon!
Kindly, -Tom Q., GM & Amy :)
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were visiting relatives and their condo was too small for two adults and two children under 3, so we looked for something on Lido Beach and were pleasantly surprised to find the Coquina. Although old, they were replacing the dining tables and chairs. They even called to let us know in case our kids were taking naps. Looks like the are in the process of updating the rooms, but with such a nice beach you don't spend much time in them. Family friendly and a great value, we will return next time we are in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
From all of us at Coquina on the Beach, thank you for your recent stay and review with us!

It’s wonderful to hear that you and your family found our accommodations friendly, value-driven and noticed our updates, which are still in full swing. Much of the property, inside and out has had a fresh coat of paint and all of our Studio Efficiencies, like your accommodation, are also expecting new headboards, night stands and the like to compliment the new kitchen tables and chairs.

We look forward to your visit to our area again soon! All the best to your family.
-Tom Q., GM
Vilano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a family reunion at Lido Beach Resort and since it was going to be a long weekend we wanted to take our dogs with us. We were recommended the Coquina On The Beach. It was right next door to the motel where all of our family was staying. I was very surprised after reading mixed views how much we loved this place. We had one of the upstairs rooms in the patio building and another family member had the downstairs poolside rooms. We brought our bikes and kayak in addition to there was plenty of room in the front of the poolside room to keep them. The rooms are very roomy, clean & very comfortable plus the added bonus of chairs & loungers that you have either outside of your room or balcony. Loved the heated pool for night swimming, free Starbucks blend coffee at the office with the very friendly staff. We sure made use of the charcoal BBQ’s area on the beach with the picnic tables and invited the whole clan over from the other motel.
The only shortcoming we had was a pet owner did not have a leash on his dog and the dog came out of nowhere that aggressively attached the 4 dogs 3 of us were walking. It took the man 5 minutes before he could get a hold of his dog. I cannot blame the hotel for this episode. You always have one in a crowd.
I would like to mention I was told by a local resident that dogs were not allowed on the beach and it was a $200 fine. After we were told that we just kept our dogs at the hotels beach & walked them in the street.
I highly recommend this motel. Our family that stayed at the other hotel decided they would stay at the Coquina on the next trip because we all loved the set-up & the large rooms.

Room Tip: Beachside rooms at not at the beach. They just face the beach and the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of all of us at Coquina on the Beach, thank you for your recent stay and review with us!

We’re so thrilled to hear you all had a great time while in the area for your family reunion. We really enjoy learning that your expectations of our property and accommodations were exceeded once you arrived and settled in. And even better to hear that a few other family members will give our hotel the same opportunity in the future, too.

At the front desk, guests can pick up a handout of nearby pet friendly waterfront spots and also find us asking our pet owners to review/sign our pet policy which will remind everyone to keep their furry family members on leash, picked up after and about the county ordinance regarding dogs on Lido Beach.

We are disappointed to hear about your run-in with a pet owner who wasn’t complying with our policies. We have numerous signs about property to remind everyone and are always happy to re-remind someone if it’s brought to our attention.

Regarding your room tip, we do have rooms with a view that are nestled behind the pool and face the beach, but we also have some truly beachfront rooms, too, right on the sand. And, not to forget about our spacious rooms nearer our office and parking, but still only a hop and skip from the pool and beach without crossing any streets. Lots of options for lots of budgets. We hope when you return we can find just the right one for you again, too!

Kindly, -Tom Q., GM
Kissimmee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had to listen to a teenager birthday party with a DJ for over four hours. The music thumped into our room which was just two doors from the "teenage party". When I went to speak to the staff about the noise, our complaint was taken with a smirk and comments such as "it is a birthday party lasting only a couple of hours, the music is not that loud, etc". When in fact the music lasted over four hours and we were not notified that this would be happening. How easy it would have been for the staff to have told us about this, our reservations had been made back in the spring. The two girls found our complaints to be silly and seemed to not understand why we could not understand it was JUST a birthday party. So much for rest and relaxation. We were there to celebrate a 70th birthday party in what was supposed to be a handicapped room, which it was not. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Coral Springs, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am giving an overall rating of Average, but I think it is really somewhere between average and good. Upon arrival at Coquina I realized that this place was quite old and my main concern is that the accomodations are clean and bug free and was pleasantly surprised after checking out the room. This was a short notice booking and the main request was that the room have direct access to the beach. The room had a perfect access to the beach and the bedroom also had a great view of the beach. The accomodations met my expectations, with one exception-the TV could be a little larger as it was a distance from the sofa to watch the small screen, but no big deal as I was there to enjoy the beach and not watch TV!!!! Next visit (I hope there is another) I will be a little bit more prepared as there is a kitchen to utilize to cook meals, however the grocery stores are a fair distance from the hotel. I did not want to leave my parking space as I was afraid there would not be any when I returned as it was a busy weekend. We did not have any unpleasant experiences during our stay as other guests have reported in their reviews. A funny thing did happen as I pulled into the hotel and that is the parking spots are very small and I actually passed up 3 of them before I attempted to squeeze my vehicle into one and squeeze out my door to register at the office. Again, no big deal, guess I need to lose some weight!!! The staff are very friendly and I would love to come back again if possible. I would like to see some upgrades upon my return and of course would request the same accomodations. Thanks again for making my stay a short but pleasant one. Oh yes, loved relaxing in a hammock listening to my ipod music!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I would say if you want to walk out the door and be on the beach and have a view of the beach from y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Coquina On The Beach? Share your experiences!