“Good with Limitations” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 128 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: Florida Studio Theatre (FST) is one of the major cultural resources in the Gulf Coast region, bringing the best in Contemporary plays, musicals, and comedy to the Sarasota community since 1973. An Equity theatre, the FST campus is a village of theatres - the historic Keating and Gompertz Theatres,the Parisian style Goldstein Cabaret and the new John C. Court Cabaret. In January 2014 we opened our fifth venue, The Bowne Lab Theatre. Near the Sarasota bayfront, FST brings an energy and vitality to the downtown area. Each theatre is small in size and large in impact - providing an intimate and engaging setting for high-quality, professional performances. Hip and historical, entertaining and challenging, we are the theatre where the street meets the elite, where everyone is welcome to come and engage in the art of theatre.FST has modeled itself on the strength of creating the best in contemporary theatre at an affordable price. Overall, FST serves over 160,000 attendees per year through its major programs: the Mainstage Series, the Cabaret Series, WRITE A PLAY, Education, and New Play Development.
Orlando, Florida
“Good with Limitations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was looking for a family-friendly venue during our vacation on Siesta Key. Made reservations for Magic Show. Arrived 1/2 hour early and was surprised to be ushered to tables against the wall of the upstairs balcony where we could not even see the stage. We were advised that we would be permitted to move our bar stools to sit behind the tables around the balcony railings once the show was ready to begin. I voiced my concern to guest services and was shown that a message appears when you hover over the seats on the reservation website that indicates that our choices were "limited vision seating". Obviously, I had not hovered over the seating options or I would have passed. We paid $100 for limited vision seating to watch a slight of hand magician. Very disappointing. I feel the theater should be more upfront on these seating challenges - I was told that I got the seats for $6.00 discount due to the challenges. That doesn't really make much difference and since these were the only seats available, I didn't have opportunity to see what others paid for their seats.

Now, a big kudos to the volunteer working the upstairs balcony!! He went to bat for us and we were permitted to move to a table that was unoccupied at the start of the show. My daughter overheard his intervention on our behalf, otherwise, no one was going to try to address the concerns we expressed.. THANK YOU - I wish we would have obtained his name.

The Magician was quite entertaining - the theater is lovely. Just be cautious with the seating issue. The patrons who say that there is not a bad seat in the house obviously have not been upstairs. Also, my granddaughter was the only child in the entire place. I guess this is not really a family kind of place, but the entertainment was suitable and my family enjoyed the show.

Longboat Key, Florida
“Intimate venue with reliably superb performances”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

FST is a jewel. The productions are first rate and there literally is not a bad seat in the house. Even at full price, the shows are a bargain and if you are around for the entire winter or summer season you can get a package deal which gives you 3-4 shows at 50% off the normal rate.

Visited May 2014
AudraL_FST, Public Relations Manager at Florida Studio Theatre, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at FST. We hope to see you again!
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“Becoming Ruth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

An outstanding one woman show about Dr. Ruth. I learned lots about her life and really made me admire her . She had a difficult and fascinating life. and overcame so much.

Visited July 2014
We're glad you enjoyed Becoming Dr. Ruth! Hope to see you again soon at the theater!
Sarasota, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss this Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

FST delivers great theater, whether on the Mainstage or Cabaret. The cost is VERY low: kudos to the board, who is committed to making theater accessible to all. The campus is charming and all the seats are good. Enjoy!

Visited July 2014
AudraL_FST, Public Relations Manager at Florida Studio Theatre, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you so much for coming to FST! We are so delighted that you had a wonderful experience. We hope to see you back here soon!
Sarasota, Florida
42 attraction reviews
“A Sarasota gem for patrons of the arts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I attended the world premiere of Tom Jones at the Gompertz Theatre--the organization's largest of five theater spaces. The venue was recently renovated, and the atmosphere was one of elegance and class.

Overall, the show was well organized, and highly entertaining. The cast was very professional and engaging, as well.

As a resident of Sarasota, I definitely plan to attend more shows in the future, and I'm thankful that this wonderful theater arts venue is thriving in my community.

Visited May 2014
AudraL_FST, Public Relations Manager at Florida Studio Theatre, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience and that you plan on coming to see more shows in the future!