“Under rated” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Under rated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The reviews are so off. We are seasonal residents of sarasota and had bee driving all the way up to Tampa for truly great Cuban food. We're delighted at our experience at The Floribbean today. Ihad fish with black beans and rice and Maduros. My husband had a delicious platter of mixed meats, rice and testarones. So good.
I think ther is a political issue going on that is influencing the reviews. Long time residents told me that ther is a lot of resentment that the landlord upped the rent on th previous restaurant located where the Floribbean is now located and are negative about it.
Try this place! Great food. Wonderful service. 99 cent margaritas not top shelf liquor-wise but very refreshing out on the lovely outdoor patio space that the former restaurant was known for. Place is clean with lovely decor.. I don't usually take the time to do reviews but too many were so far off that I began to think ther was a hidden agenda going on

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

28% Recommend
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Mediocre Overpriced Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I found this restaurant to be overpriced with mediocre (at best) food. I went with a group of people, and almost all of them complained about the food. Almost nothing on the menu sounded appetizing, so I went with a chicken dish because I've found that you usually can't go wrong with chicken. It was edible, and that was about it. Based on what I ordered, I found the food to be overpriced. I also found the restaurant to be dirty, and the music was too loud.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Perfect place for a nice lunch....Carribean flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I were in downtown Sarasota this past Sunday and were walking to see the shops and sites and came across this lovely place on the corner with indoor and outdoor seating. We opted for the outdoor seating since the weather was so nice.They were having a special, 2 pork dinners with 2 sides for @ $6. An unbelievable deal for this neighborhood. They have a wide selection of side dishes, with a Caribbean flair. They also had Margarita's for 99 cents which we did not order. I did see the table next over and they did not look like they were skimping on the drink. The service was fast. and lunch came out promptly. I did not expect much volume for the price but I was presently surprised. The pork was served in a long trail, bathed in it's own juices. Very tender, with a little fat. The rice was done perfect. I had a yellow rice with chickpea and my wife had the rice with black bean. We had salads with siding on the side. Everything was perfect. The waitress was attentive. I read some other reviews, and was surprised how some were negative. I definitely will go back here if in the area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Excellent food, fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went for the Margaritas, Music and the "Mob" (meaning great local bar scene to meet people), but stayed for dinner. It was scrumptous! I had the Cuban steak, my friend had the fish of the day. The prices are great as well, don't know how they do that with a downtown location. Everything was perfect and it's a fun place to meet new people.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota
“Decent, if bland food with Horrendous Prices for alcohol”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This restaurant has a hard time finding itself. The food is good: fresh fish, interesting menu, but bland execution. The wait staff: friendly and attentive. The drinks: WHOA, DO NOT DRINK HERE! The entertainment that night, a reggae band, sang one reggae song for the two set we sat through.

First the food: Nice menu with interesting and wide variety of cuisines. My wife and I were in the mood for seafood. I had the blackened mahi. It was good: fresh fish, cooked perfectly, but bland. Blackened should not be bland. But it was OK. My wife have the shrimp mofongo, which was really good, if a little bland. The shrimp was fresh, the sauce nice, if not sharp or spciy, and the plantain bowl was excellent. We opted for the side salad which was iceberg lettuce, some very strong onions, poor excuse for tomato slices, and a nice piece of avocado with run of the mill dressing choices. I had the arroz moro (black beans and rice). It was OK, I have had better, of course it was bland.

We order a couple drinks: pinot grigio and a screw driver. The pinot was from Italy, and fairly good. My screwdriver was the smallest screwdriver I have ever had, made with the cheapest vodka I have had in the last 30 years. My wife was enjoying the band, so we ordered another round after dinner and listened to another set. When I received the bill, I found out to my SHOCK that the drinks were $8.25 each! $33 for two rounds of decent wine and small, crummy screwdrivers. So, please do not drink alcohol here. WOW.

The entertainment was made for the Sarasota old folks. That is OK, but when I saw it was a reggae band, I had more Bob Marley in mind than Louis Armstrong. But they were pretty good (but no guitar? How do you play reggae with no guitar? The synthesizer and banjo stood in for the guitar), quiet and very Sarasota, if you know what I mean.

We came to this place because of Living Social. We were told that we could not get the evening specials (which is not a stated limitation of the Living Social fine print), and there was general confusion by the manager and staff on how to handle Living Social. They added the tip on to the bill, which infuriated me. Particularly with a huge bar tab for FOUR drinks. I tip well, and I tip on the full meal, so treating me poorly was just not called for.

So, it has some good points, the waitress was friendly and attentive. The food was OK, if bland. However, their idea of first impressions is not my idea of a good first impression, and the pricing for alcohol is INSANE. Be warned.

• Visited February 2013