“Schnitzel Kitchen delivers Big Time.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 794 Restaurants in Sarasota
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Here in Sarasota it is our pleasure to present to you authentic German food at our quaint restaurant. The owner is from Berlin, so you get to enjoy not only the food but also the culture. Wir wünschen Guten Appetit!
Venice, Florida
“Schnitzel Kitchen delivers Big Time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Wednesday evening, during a driving rain, 28 friends from Venice trekked up to Gulf Gate village to dine at their latest discovery - Schnitzel Kitchen - not to their surprise, Paul and his Mom, who does all the cooking, wined and dined the group like visiting royalty. Everyone enjoyed their various choices - Pork Schnitzel, Schweinbraten, Beef Goulash - and all the other delicious German goodies. I planned this outing and am pleased to say it was a big success, Paul and their lovely waitress worked very hard to keep everyone happy. Of course serving a large group as ours presented some difficulties in waiting time, but no one seemed to mind, they were busy enjoying their wine, beer and appetizers while visiting. Food was a big hit and a great time was had by all.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbia, South Carolina
“Great German food in Sarasota”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We visited the Schnitzel Kitchen mid week; arriving about 6:30 PM. We were the only one in the restaurant so we got to sit whever we wanted, but this scared us. Another couple joined a little while later so that eased our fears a bit. No other customers arrived the remainder of our visit there though. The waiter indicated that many folks were out of town "up north" for the summer but in the next several weeks should return and attendance would increase dramatically.

We were offerd a dessert discount of $2 if we purchased any appetizer. After ordering a glass of chardonnay each, we reviewed the menu and did opt to get the chef's combination salad appetizer which included a good portion of 4 different types of salads. This was a good value for only $6 and we shared it and enjoyed it. We ordered one veal schnitzel and 1 pork schnitzel; getting both "Jager" sauce style (mushrooms and brown sauce). Both came just as we finished the salad and a small bread roll. We shared some of each between us to compare the veal and the pork. Both were exquisitely prepared, was extremely large in portion size and was accompanied by the red cabbage and spaetzel as ordered. To our surprise, we both enjoyed the $14 pork schnitzel more than the $22 veal schnitzel. The pork seemed to melt in your mouth but the veal seemed tough to cut as well as was much more "chewy" rather than the pork "melt in your mouth" one. This was disappointing as we both love veal and it was considerably more in price for the base meat. We were glad we ordered one of the pork to compare.

The meal was so filling there was no room for dessert; but we were reminded that we had a discount for dessert if we wanted to consider purchasing and just taking it home with us. We ordered the strudel and did exactly that; took it home to enjoy another time.

The service was very good; the gentleman's costume of typical German fashion was enjoyed. They were very accomodating to our requests. Since we were the only customer there at first, getting service attention was of no concern.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed eating here; the value of the veal was the only surprise at it being so much more than the pork. Everything else seemed very reasonably priced. We enjoyed it; hope you do too.

Monroe, CT
“Maybe too much hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stopped here for a dinner. I had Schnitzel vom Schwein (pork) while my wife ordered the Schweinebraten and potato pancakes for an appetizer. My wife is an aficionado of German food and was pleased with her choice. The pork I ordered I found was a bit on the dry side and I am thinking it was fried just a bit too long. We enjoyed a beer with the meal which always seems a good choice when eating German food. Our waitress (server) was throughly charming and attentive. The restaurant may not look like much on the outside but is quite cheerful and warm on the inside.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Thrapston, United Kingdom
“Fantastic German Home Cooking.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We visited the Schnitzel Kitchen as a change from the standard offerings of burgers and hotdogs, and my, Oh my what a fantastic difference. Clearly all the food is prepared 'in house' and probably the closest you could find to genuine German home cooking. We descended on the unknowing establishment as a party of four adults and three children, one child being a little 'unruly'. With huge respect for our host Paul, he dealt with us with calm deliberation and conquered a language barrier which most folk would have found insumountable, I'll try to explain, six of our party were Russian, one having a slight command of English, myself I speak fluent English with a passing knowledge of Russian. Paul managed to translate our feeble utterings into exactly the items we had ordered and did so with a calm demeanour and good humour. In all we tried various salads, chicken schnitzel, the bratworst sausage, and a dish of braised beef. Our children were happy with a plate of french fries each and samples from the adult's dishes. I have to say that I tried the German Beer but as I don't like the taste of the stuff it was sadly wasted on me. However the house red wine was better than most red's that I've tasted in a long, long time, truly superb and way better than any house red has a right to be. Considering the size of the place and the restricted seating, the 'kitchen' is a truly remarkable establishment. Fantastic food, a superb atmosphere and great service. Highly recommended to anyone visiting Sarasota. Paul, I take my hat off to you!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sarasota, Florida
“Authentic German cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Schnitzel Kitchen is a family owned and run operation. The Mother is the cook and the food is great. We tried both the Pork Schnitzel and the Veal Schnitzel served with traditional red cabbage and spetzle. A friend told me that the potato pancakes are to "die for". They are on my list for our next visit. They serve beer and wine and many kinds of beer. My only criticism is that they are not open for lunch, our favorite time to dine out on these hot summer days.
The prices are fair for the quality and amount of food served.

• Visited June 2012