“Fantastic, Healthy, Road Side Café in Sarasota” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
New York City, New York
“Fantastic, Healthy, Road Side Café in Sarasota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Looking for something tasty and healthy to eat in Sarasota? Look no further than Simon's Coffee House. It's on Highway 41, the main drag, on the southbound side. This place is a gem that stands out among chain after chain that you pass in strip mall after strip mall on 41. In fact Simon's is in a strip mall--it's easy to miss so make sure you have your coordinates set before you take off. Once you do find it, you are in for a treat!

They're open for breakfast and lunch--we stopped in for the latter. The food is largely organic, locally sourced. They have a solid vegan selection. I started with soup (4-6 soup specials daily)--a Moroccan Cauliflower soup...Fantastic! For my main course I had a yummy french salad with tofu (you could order chicken, salmon or other proteins)...it included mushrooms and pecans and goat cheese and apples and dried cranberries. So good and so fresh. For dessert, my brother, sis-in-law and I shared an organic berry tart that was fantastically great. Finally, while I had coffee, my co-diners each had lemonade sweetened with all natural apple juice. I had a sip and--WOW! Really good. I imagine the rest of the menu would elicit "wows" as well.

The service was top notch, with a hint of British hospitality. This is due to the fact that the owners are Brits--the wife certainly has the accent and the husband was wearing a West Ham United soccer jersey.

You can eat inside (they have a small inside seating area) or al fresco. We chose the latter, even though that meant we were eating on the strip mall sidewalk. Not much in the way of atmospherics but who cares. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Florida
“Healthy and wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A nice variety of sandwiches, homemade soups and salads. All ingredients are very fresh and many of the menu items change daily. Very healthy eating with exceptional flavor.

Visited November 2012
northport
“BEST SANDWICHES IN TOWN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have frequented Simons for well over 10 years from the time they were on third the present size.
as most places grow they lose a lot in the service and or quality of food. Not Simons.
The food is still the best to be had in Sarasota and the quality of both the service and the owners is always above board.
My favorite has always been the London sandwich, and my wife has more adventurous soul so she has tried almost everything they offer over the years. We have never been disappointed and gladly travel 35 miles every once in a while just to eat there, and anytime we are in Sarasota for business we make sure we stop in and say hi to Simon who is the only Englishman I have met who can actually create great food, ( stop laughing Simon.)

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you are in Sarasota or Siesta Key, this is a must try! Simon, the owner told us today that he uses all fresh ingredients, nothing frozen. The salads, are made with the freshest ingredients as are the soups. The tuna salad is so tasty. All salads and soups come with an amazing chunk of multigrain bread that is so delicious. They make all fruit smoothies and veggie ones if you're up for that. They also sell wheatgrass shots -- I've had one everyday -- haven't noticed a difference yet but it's only been a week! The restaurant isn't huge and if there is a line, don't be discouraged, Simon has a way of fitting everyone in without a long wait. Tables are cleared as soon as one party has let so another can be seated -- it all works like clockwork. Wish we could take this place home with us.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Coast, FL
“I hate to share this secret, but this is a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is one of those places that is so good, I almost hesitate telling people about it because it's already way too busy. The owners, Simon and Michelle, are friendly as are most of the servers (they tend to have an offbeat, kind of goth vibe), but it's the food that's the star.

Always fresh and with innovative specials, this is the kind of place that will satisfy the pickiest eater.

From the green health smoothie crowd that only eats vegan or raw to the gourmet that doesn't care about health or calories as long as the food is fantastic, this place will make everyone happy.

• Visited October 2012