“Frilly Enough” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Frilly Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Room77.com scored me a single queen room for $47 taxes included.

The layout is compact. This is a two-story place with all rooms entered from the outside. There is a small pool that is at the front of the property. Lobby/reception/breakfast bar all share the same space. I'd bet parking could be tricky when the place is busy. It was busy enough. The area is all about old-Florida motels. You are not far from CVS, Walgreens or various kwiki marts. Restaurants are not so close. If you have a bike, you're something like five miles from Lido Beach. It's an easy ride and recommended to do such a ride shortly after sunrise.

Check-in was quick and friendly. The breakfast bar was stocked with juices, cereal, bread and toaster and coffee. The selection was adequate for me.

The room is designed for two beds, so there was plenty of space between the door and my bed for my gear. The queen bed had clean linens and a decent bedspread. The bed itself had a mattress that felt like it was stuffed with pillows. Then again, I slept well. The room lighting is ok, kinda dim. The bedside table has a clock/radio and phone. The sink and bathroom lights are bright. There are a table and two chairs, dresser, luggage rack and CRT TV with remote. The a/c unit is a window-style unit occupying the space that used to hold a standard-issue room unit. The a/c worked well enough. Wifi was easy to access and speedy.

The sink area has a coffee maker and hair dryer. The hair dryer did not work (tried various plugs to be sure). I didn't try the coffee maker, so I don't know if the sink-mounted power outlet works. The sink has a constant drip. That was not a problem since the a/c unit masked that sound. The toilet is old and not so powerful at flushing. You may need to flush twice. The shower has adequate pressure and the shower head has multiple settings. The water can get plenty hot. There were towels, washcloths and hand towels for two people. There were multiple bars of soap and a bottle of combo shampoo/conditioner.

Stay here. If you can get a discount rate, even better. The sign price of $49 isn't bad, either. I'm sure a room costs more in the winter. There are enough amenities to make it very much worth the money.

Room Tip: I guess second floor would be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The first thing which was really good was about the employees who were really pleasant..particularly at the reception when we arrived. They are helpful and cheerful as well! There is a negative point (the perfect hotel does not exist ..) : it was not totally clean...above all the moquette. I recommend it if you want to spend 3-4 days or less.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Super 8 Sarasota, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. Please know that we value your comments and apologize for not delivering 100%
Los Altos, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is a property that appears to be in a time warp, or maybe on life support, as other reviewers have mentioned. Maybe the owners are holding out for eventual buy-out as Tamiami Trail gets developed further. In any case, the ship is not leaking water and sinking here, but damage control is adequate. The front desk area is minimal, the breakfast is, well, using the term breakfast is far too kind! But they have something. You may want to paln on a real breakfast somewhere else.

The room was clean but of course, it is a Super 8, so not exactly luxurious. Functional is a better term. I am always amused by the towels at some of these lower-cost places, here I could hold it up to the light and almost see through it. But, plenty of clean towels so no major argument there.

WiFi was weak in the room, so I used my Sprint handset as a hotspot. The pool area is out by the main road, but is working and open.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
GMmaggieA, Manager at Super 8 Sarasota, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for the review, we appreciate the time you took to review our property.
We will use your comments to assist us in improving our property and making it more comfortable for our guests stay.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This place seems to have received mixed reviews, but I found it very comfortable. It was the first Super 8 I stayed in with my family, and it left a positive impression. The room was large and had two decent beds, a tv, fridge and coffee maker. The WiFi didn't work very well in the room though, so I used it in the dining area in the morning over breakfast, which was included in the price.

I booked online, but ended up paying the same as I would have if I'd just turned up and paid at the counter. I suggest others just do that during low season.

One benefit of this motel was provision of washing machines and dryers, which came in very handy. Overall it met our needs for a short stay and I would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms have easier access.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
GMmaggieA, Manager at Super 8 Sarasota, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you, we are working hard to keep the property clean and affordable
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Very average motel. Basically what you expect from a Super 8. Decent size room with comfortable bed, big TV with LOTS of channels. No extra frills, but adequate. Basic breakfast. Had a problem in the bath - reported it and it was fixed that day. Not as cheap as I would prefer, but good value compared to other options in the area. Not a great motel, but nothing that would prevent me from staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This Super 8 was clean and comfortable. It compared most favorably with other motels where we've paid twice as much. I give it four stars for that. The people in the office were busy but helpful. The only negative, we were supposed to be able to get wifi but couldn't connect in our room. We didn't pursue it because it wasn't that important. It was readily available in the reception area though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GMmaggieA, General Manager at Super 8 Sarasota, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments about us,we strive to keep Super 8 clean and comfortable for all our guests.We hope to see you again.
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

All rooms were booked, had a bad experience up the street at the Days Inn and they gave us a room (lady at the front desk was very nice, she switched some rooms around so that we could hve a place to stay with our kids) unfortunantly, the room reaked of mildew. There was also some sort of mishap that occured in the wee hours that involved a screaming lady, her friend and about 4 cop cars. Bed were comfortable thought! If I've learned anything, its that:

1. Southern Hospitality is not dead.
2. Pay the extra $20/night to stay somewhere decent with your family.

Lesson learned.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 Sarasota? Share your experiences!