“Put on by the Ritz!” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, IL
“Put on by the Ritz!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We were looking for a place for perfect relaxation for the 2nd half of our trip to Florida over Memorial Day Weekend. What better place than the BEST hotel in a not-so-touristy Florida city?

All I can say is that with the breadth of quality of hotels/motels I've stayed in in travels throughout my life, I've never once uttered the words "I hate this place!" before now.

I am a light sleeper, and was woken up at least twice each night of our stay. From inside our room people talking in the hall sounded like they were sitting on the bed next to me, and I made a game of listening to housekeeping knock on consecutively closer doors until they got to ours. I could hear someone communicating with hotel worker "Eduardo" on his walkie-talkie only to be percussively interrupted by the slam of a fellow guests' door as they left their room. The powerful toilet flush is also disturbingly loud inside the room. I am very surprised I did not come across this noise complaint in a review.

Housekeeping does come to the room twice a day. And promptly at 11 a.m. -checkout time- (even though we weren't checking out) we found out on the morning we decided to spend some quality time together in bed. Our last night housekeeping didn't restock our coffee/tea, which I didn't realize until the next morning, nor did they replenish our washcloths (washcloths were also not replenished the previous evening). I called housekeeping, and 20 minutes later they showed up with hand towels and no washcloths, while we needed to be on the road in 40 minutes to the airport.

We were offered water once at the Beach Club hot tub (there were less than 10 people poolside), and it never came, even though the pool workers looked desperate for something to do, and were told someone would be with us shortly after arriving at the beach the next day, and 3 hours later when we were packing up to leave, no one had attended to us. The Beach Club restaurant had only 3 interior tables being used by guests, and 2 servers working, and somehow my dining companion's soup was forgotten.

I could go on, but in summation, my experiences at the Ritz in Sarasota not only left me feeling neglected, our stay was the antithesis of the "Relaxation Getaway" I had tried to plan.

• Liked — That I got to leave the property
  • Disliked — The entire experience
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

THe hotel is very nice but in my estimation did not live up to the RItz Carlton Standards, this may be partially due to the fact that Sarasota is not that great of a city and the location wasnt all that special. The Beach club on the other hand was top notch as they did not overlook any detail.

Stayed March 2006
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for 5 nights in early February. Aside from the weather starting out a bit cold and wet and the flight being a bit of a disaster (we ended up flying into Tampa since we missed our connecting flight to Sarasota) we have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. The Tampa airport is about a 45 minute drive to the hotel and the Sarasota airport is about a 5 minute drive to the hotel.

As this was our babymoon (last vacation before baby) we splurged and stayed on the club level. We never had to worry about buying breakfast or lunch as there was always plenty of food to fill us up (there were 4 food settings each day which was a bit excessive- breakfast, lunch, appetizers and dessert). They repeated the same food almost everyday but we ate at the beach club a couple of days to break up the monotony. The club level also let us pack lunches in take-out containers to take to the poolside at the beach club. The appetizer setting before dinner was a bit much (delicious, but we tried it once and weren't very hungry for dinner) and the dessert setting was nice if we didn't get dessert at the restaurant with dinner for some reason. I did feel kind of guilty when we weren't taking full advantage of the club level, but excess is what vacation is all about.

The main hotel is close to the "heart" of Sarasota. We were a bit concerned about the beach club not being on the property (it's about 3 miles away), but it ended up being a nice destination and made us feel less like lumps festering at the hotel the whole time. There is a shopping/restaurant area near the beach club that is nice to walk around as well. We highly recommend getting a car so you can come and go to the beach club as you please. We didn't always use the car, for example, we walked to a few restaurants that were close to the main hotel. The shopping area near the beach club is not walkable from the hotel or from the beach club- so you would need a car for that.

Sarasota is not the best town and does not have the best restaurants, but overall we were content to be there. We liked a restaurant called The Table the best.

The spa was nice (we went for a couple’s massage) but we were disappointed that there were no relaxation/waiting/hot tub/common areas where we could relax together. Everything was within the respective locker rooms.

The service at the hotel was outstanding and the club level seemed very kid friendly although we were never annoyed by the kids. I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat although I wish Sarasota weren't so boring otherwise.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at this superb hotel during a business trip. All around, the staff was over the top service oriented and accommodating! The views from our end unit were fabulous of a small marina and bay. The new duvet-style bed linens were a nice luxury touch and housekeeping comes around late afternoon to refresh your towels. The elevator was fast and access to the pool is super easy via a nice game room for kids. An hourly shuttle takes you to nearby upscale St. Armand's circle for shopping or to a sister property if you prefer to be on the beach. The hospitality room on the 8th floor concierge level (with veranda seating!) is graciously stocked with everything you could want for a light breakfast, lunch,snack with a glass of wine or a sampling of gourmet desserts. There were many items that would appeal to Europeans as well. I had a fabulous facial and a nice massage in the opulent spa area. The gift shop was as expected overly pricey and not so exciting. They do serve afternoon tea. Another small thing...buying bottled water daily can get to be very pricey but here it was complimentary. Can't wait to go back to this pampering hotel!

• Liked — Level of service
  • Disliked — Shorted on the massage. Was supposed to be 50 min., but done & out the door in 40!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago suburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

We just returned from a 9 day stay at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota. We were on the 7th floor in a club level suite. Let me just say if you are traveling with kids the club level was worth every penny! My three girls ate there for all three meals every day, the best part was the chocolate presentation from 9-10pm. Our room was really large and well furnished, with 1 full and one half bath. Housekeeping was amazing, they kept our room spotless and left the kids squirty tub turtles everyday. The service at the pool was always quick, as was room service. We used North River Nannies for sitters while we were there and they were absolutely great, thank you Jennifer! Victoria, Mac, and Cindey in the club lounge were so helpful, they took care of every request we had from chocolate milk to packing a lunch for our girls for the plane ride home. Dino the doorman always gave us great directions and places to see. The beach club is about 10 minutes away and is very nice. I loved the baby pool, it had gates so you don't have to keep chasing your little ones away from the big pool. The changing rooms are perfect with every amenity you could need. My girls took a pastry class with the head pastry chef, who has been on a food network challenge, they loved decorating cookies and dipping fruit in the chocolate fountian. I think the Ritz Carlton is heads and sholders above any other resort I've stayed in. To the people who have issues with the service there, it pays to be kind and friendly to the staff, don't talk down to them, I think it will get you much better service. Who wants to go out of their way for someone who is rude? I'll be back to the Sarasota Ritz very soon!

• Liked — The wonderful staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2007

Our spring break trip to the Sarasota Ritz Carlton was a personal disappointment. We have come to expect a level of service from Ritz hotels and the hotel experience is something we look for in each vacation.
We had bathroom drain problems which led us to wade in ankle-deep bathwater after just a few minutes of running the shower. Problems like these if dealt with promptly would normally be forgiven and forgotten. Unfortunately, 2 separate morning reports of the problem (one to front desk) did not result in a resolution until we placed an irate call to the manager. The manager Guillermo was courteous and speedy in his remediation. After engineering was sent in to take care of drain issues though, the same problem came up later on in our stay. Beware of this room on the 9th floor overlooking the swimming pool.
My husband requested club concierge to make golf reservations in the Ritz golf course but ended up having to book it himself as the male concierge apparently did not follow-up on it. He apologized later and said he had "left a message" for the golf course to call us. One would expect the least the concierge could do would be to confirm a reservation given the cost of playing time.
The business center charges for computer use to check email, and for faxing a one page sheet. At the cost of well over $600/room, some things ought to be complimentary.
Having said this, there are a number of good things to be said. The club lounge is well worth the extra expense. The 5 different food presentations were satisfying and creative and the concierge did their best to make our young kids comfortable. One South American bellman juggled my son's soccer ball and thoroughly entertained my 8 year old, not to mention his 40+ year old mom. Most of the staff were eager to please and genuinely friendly. This is the redeeming factor. Will we stay again at a Ritz hotel? Probably, but not at Sarasota.

• Liked — Club level
  • Disliked — service of select Ritz employees
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

I just got home from a long weekend, the weather was fantastic but the service at this hotel compared to other ritz carltons I have stayed at was lacking. Called for directions when arriving in Sarasota and was given very poor ones, got to the hotel checked in and went to the pool two people working the pool were totally confused, they could not get any ones order and just kept apologizing while running around confused, I finally got my own drinks after about 30 minutes of waiting for them, finally ordered food and they brought it but no silverware said they would be right back with it but it never came, we finally just ate with our fingers and wiped up with pool towels. The next day we had arranged with the concierge to pick up my husband for golf in a town car with return times also, he never got picked for the ride back both days. I took the shuttle the first day to the beach club when the shuttle arrived all the guests at the hotel got in the van and there was no driver for along time, we all sat there in the van cause if you didn't you might not get a ride because it was busy and first come first serve, finally the driver came and never said sorry folks or anything and acted like a van full of guests were wrong in expecting to leave within a few minutes. It seems to me if the van can be full of guests and be waiting why can't the driver be ready?? The concierge was also busy juggling multiple people and the phone all the time, she rushed us and everyone, everytime we went to try and arrange something. I feel for the price 809.00 a nite we should have had better service. I also tried to make reservations with the concierge for a restaurant the one nite they said they were all booked until late that evening. We took a chance and walked into the one we wanted to eat at, they told us it would be about 15 - 20 minutes and we would have a table, makes you wonder what is up??

• Liked — Club lounge
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!