“OK for a short stay on business” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Sarasota
Spain
“OK for a short stay on business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a business conference in February so apologies for the tardy review, just catching up!
This was the first time I had stayed at a Ritz Carlton so I had quite high expectations. The staff were friendly and I must admit very helpful. That said I am not sure if I would return to this hotel for a leisure stay as it is some distance from the beautiful beaches and although these can be reached by the hotel shuttle to the Beach Club, the actual location of the hotel itself is more suited to a business traveller. Rooms were a good size but nothing really very different to what you would find in hotel brands such as Hilton or Westin.
I flew into Tampa which is about an hours drive from Sarasota - transfers can be organised through hotel and it was a good service albeit pricy, but it does have the advantage of taking out the stress of hiring a car after a long haul flight, you can then just hire one for use locally.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We decided to drive up from Naples because we had heard great things about Sarasota. We choose The Ritz because of its brand name. Unfortunately the premium priced hotel was not much better than average hotel. The room we stayed in was tired for lack of a better description. Although it was small. The walls were thin so you enjoy the conversations next door. If you are into that. The restaurant was just odd both in the layout as well as the menu. Would not stay here the next time.This also changed my image of the brand name.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Bill W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to hear that our facilities did not meet your expectations. Your opinion is very important to us.

Please feel free to contact me directly at your convenience at 941-309-2001 if you would like to discuss this further.

South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed for a three nights with my wife at the end of a two week holiday in Florida. Have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels and this was up there with the best of them.
We had a large balcony and it was great to sit out for a glass of wine and enjoy the view.
The room was very large and modern.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant along with some cocktails, good food, good wine and a nice atmosphere.

The hotel provided a shuttle service to the beach spa, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Visit the beach spa, really nice beach bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had my reservations about going to the Ritz Carlton, since it isn't beachside. The hotel itself is right between a large intersection on the John Ringling Causeway and US 41. It's nestled in a large plot of land bayside. I must admit this had it's advantages as we weren't only staying here for the beach. We drove to several locations within Sarasota and this allowed us to have access to major roadway arteries.

When we arrived we found that there was a major prom reception being held at the hotel. The thought of having large quantities of teenagers commandeering the hotel quickly subsided as we found how large this hotel really is. There were several nice amenities like a pool, restaurant, game room, and the room had a large balcony from which we could watch the sunset.

The common criticism this hotel receives is the fact that to get to the beach (Lido Beach) you have to take a shuttle. I actually found this nice as the shuttle took us to the beach in a little under 15 minutes. The driver was very nice helping us with our gear and we actually arrived at a very upscale beach club.

There were wonderful private lockers all carved out of what looked like cherry wood. The Ritz has a private beach front with a pool, bar, lounge area and private chairs. It was great fun and relaxing.

The other advantage to the shuttle is that we could drink without fear of having to drive back and this was true of the local restaurants as well. The shuttle took us to St. Armand's circle and back.

Overall it was a great time. The only drawback for me was the price. It was a little overpriced for the value you get.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandan, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went as a couple for my husband's company trip. Food was absolutely phenomenal at Jack Dusty. Drinks not cheap but has a great atmosphere. Concergie was very helpful. They provide complimentary shuttle to beach club which was also great. Service at pool was wonderful. Theres also a cute tiki bar on the beach which we had a fun time at. Within walking distance of downtown Sarasota which was fun to check out. We also used the hotels complimentary bikes to check out the marina which was quite fun. Overall, wonderful service and would return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
River Vale, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Sarasota during spring break. I knew before hand, this is NOT a beach front property, but decided to stay anyway. We had a room on the club level. The location is questionable and the staffs on the club level were just so-so. I guess you get spoiled by the other Ritz like in Laguna Niguel, or Amelia Island.

The first night, at around 2:30 am, we were awaked by a group of girls staying in the next room. They were hanging out in the hallways and were doing what teenagers does. Talking, giggling, and slamming doors. We called the front desk and it took them over 30 minutes to come up to speak to them. By then, we couldn't go back to sleep. The next morning, we requested to be moved.

The "beach club" was really nice, but it was a drive away. Wished we stayed on the island instead. Won't be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Aimee N,

Thank you for your recent review. While I was pleased you enjoyed our magnificent Beach Club located on Lido Key on the Gulf of Mexico, I was very sorry hear of your overall disappointing experience and apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way.

Your constructive feedback is appreciated and if you would like to discuss this further with me I can be reached at 941.309-2001.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed here with my wife for her birthday and our anniversary which are just days apart so typically we do something indulgent annually. This year we decided to hit the Florida SW gulf coast for some beach fun. And what better place to kick things off than at the Ritz, right.

Valet: Friendly, helpful, and functions as concierge in terms of hotspots and good eats in the area. However, I think they leave the windows down on vehicles overnight (perhaps to avoid locking keys inside at dropoff) which results in mosquitoes entering and then massacring one's legs and ankles. We tried to flush them out of the car by blasting the AC to the floor boards. I'm not sure what variety/species of mosquitoes are in this region of Florida, but their bites are highly inflammatory and itchy. Some bites pustulate and scab over like fire ant bites may...weird. Three weeks after my visit I'm still itching though much improved.

Check-in: Variable experience. There are two counter staff so you may have to queue up during peak times. As I awaited my turn, I overheard the staff inform the guest she was checking in of the property features and amenities. Yet, when I arrived to the counter, I was not afforded the same information. I had to prompt for responses:

-Me: So, I understand there's a beach club we may use?
-Staff: Yes, sir.
-Me: And there's a shuttle which goes into town?
-Staff: Yes, sir.
-Me: Is there anything else I should be aware of?
-Staff: No, sir. Elevators are to the right. Enjoy your stay. (Did not offer assistance with luggage).

I wonder if I hadn't eavesdropped on the prior guest and was minding my own business or perhaps engaged in conversation, would I have known?

Room: We drew the short straw on this one. Our room was over the car port below and across from the elevator and ice machine. Our view was of the asphalt top of the carport. In the mornings and nights, the hallway traffic and conversations at the elevator bay was noticeable. Perhaps not the room I was expecting for our combo birthday-anniversay celebration.

Housekeeping: Friendly, courteous and did a very good job including turndown service. As a turndown enhancement recommendation, I would have preferred a cocktail rather than confectionery given the special occasions being celebrated.

Concierge: Only utilized for directions to the Beach Club.

Dining: Did not utilize property eateries.

Beach Club: The property and locker rooms were quite lovely. It took us a couple of hours to figure out that we may request a complimentary bucket of ice water bottles. Perhaps, when seating guests, the cabana staff may so mention. We would have appreciated this as well as an offer to bring us a menu.

Water: Yep, deserves it's own mention. As I heard another guest say, "It smells like dookie." While I try to not be crass and remain constructive in my comments, I totally concur. I wonder if installing a property wide water filtration system to remove this odor (and taste).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Rajesh H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback. I am sorry your wife’s birthday and your anniversary stay with us was overall disappointing, particularly since you joined us to celebrate two special occasions.

Your business is very important to us and it appears we failed to meet your expectations and for this, I am truly sorry. Please feel free to contact me directly if you care to discuss this further at 941-309-2001.

Damien O’Riordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
#4 of 11 in Siesta Key
4.5 of 5 stars 1,521 reviews
Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!