“No place better to stay in Sarasota” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Sarasota
South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
“No place better to stay in Sarasota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed for a three nights with my wife at the end of a two week holiday in Florida. Have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels and this was up there with the best of them.
We had a large balcony and it was great to sit out for a glass of wine and enjoy the view.
The room was very large and modern.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant along with some cocktails, good food, good wine and a nice atmosphere.

The hotel provided a shuttle service to the beach spa, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Visit the beach spa, really nice beach bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had my reservations about going to the Ritz Carlton, since it isn't beachside. The hotel itself is right between a large intersection on the John Ringling Causeway and US 41. It's nestled in a large plot of land bayside. I must admit this had it's advantages as we weren't only staying here for the beach. We drove to several locations within Sarasota and this allowed us to have access to major roadway arteries.

When we arrived we found that there was a major prom reception being held at the hotel. The thought of having large quantities of teenagers commandeering the hotel quickly subsided as we found how large this hotel really is. There were several nice amenities like a pool, restaurant, game room, and the room had a large balcony from which we could watch the sunset.

The common criticism this hotel receives is the fact that to get to the beach (Lido Beach) you have to take a shuttle. I actually found this nice as the shuttle took us to the beach in a little under 15 minutes. The driver was very nice helping us with our gear and we actually arrived at a very upscale beach club.

There were wonderful private lockers all carved out of what looked like cherry wood. The Ritz has a private beach front with a pool, bar, lounge area and private chairs. It was great fun and relaxing.

The other advantage to the shuttle is that we could drink without fear of having to drive back and this was true of the local restaurants as well. The shuttle took us to St. Armand's circle and back.

Overall it was a great time. The only drawback for me was the price. It was a little overpriced for the value you get.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandan, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went as a couple for my husband's company trip. Food was absolutely phenomenal at Jack Dusty. Drinks not cheap but has a great atmosphere. Concergie was very helpful. They provide complimentary shuttle to beach club which was also great. Service at pool was wonderful. Theres also a cute tiki bar on the beach which we had a fun time at. Within walking distance of downtown Sarasota which was fun to check out. We also used the hotels complimentary bikes to check out the marina which was quite fun. Overall, wonderful service and would return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
River Vale, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Sarasota during spring break. I knew before hand, this is NOT a beach front property, but decided to stay anyway. We had a room on the club level. The location is questionable and the staffs on the club level were just so-so. I guess you get spoiled by the other Ritz like in Laguna Niguel, or Amelia Island.

The first night, at around 2:30 am, we were awaked by a group of girls staying in the next room. They were hanging out in the hallways and were doing what teenagers does. Talking, giggling, and slamming doors. We called the front desk and it took them over 30 minutes to come up to speak to them. By then, we couldn't go back to sleep. The next morning, we requested to be moved.

The "beach club" was really nice, but it was a drive away. Wished we stayed on the island instead. Won't be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Aimee N,

Thank you for your recent review. While I was pleased you enjoyed our magnificent Beach Club located on Lido Key on the Gulf of Mexico, I was very sorry hear of your overall disappointing experience and apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way.

Your constructive feedback is appreciated and if you would like to discuss this further with me I can be reached at 941.309-2001.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed here with my wife for her birthday and our anniversary which are just days apart so typically we do something indulgent annually. This year we decided to hit the Florida SW gulf coast for some beach fun. And what better place to kick things off than at the Ritz, right.

Valet: Friendly, helpful, and functions as concierge in terms of hotspots and good eats in the area. However, I think they leave the windows down on vehicles overnight (perhaps to avoid locking keys inside at dropoff) which results in mosquitoes entering and then massacring one's legs and ankles. We tried to flush them out of the car by blasting the AC to the floor boards. I'm not sure what variety/species of mosquitoes are in this region of Florida, but their bites are highly inflammatory and itchy. Some bites pustulate and scab over like fire ant bites may...weird. Three weeks after my visit I'm still itching though much improved.

Check-in: Variable experience. There are two counter staff so you may have to queue up during peak times. As I awaited my turn, I overheard the staff inform the guest she was checking in of the property features and amenities. Yet, when I arrived to the counter, I was not afforded the same information. I had to prompt for responses:

-Me: So, I understand there's a beach club we may use?
-Staff: Yes, sir.
-Me: And there's a shuttle which goes into town?
-Staff: Yes, sir.
-Me: Is there anything else I should be aware of?
-Staff: No, sir. Elevators are to the right. Enjoy your stay. (Did not offer assistance with luggage).

I wonder if I hadn't eavesdropped on the prior guest and was minding my own business or perhaps engaged in conversation, would I have known?

Room: We drew the short straw on this one. Our room was over the car port below and across from the elevator and ice machine. Our view was of the asphalt top of the carport. In the mornings and nights, the hallway traffic and conversations at the elevator bay was noticeable. Perhaps not the room I was expecting for our combo birthday-anniversay celebration.

Housekeeping: Friendly, courteous and did a very good job including turndown service. As a turndown enhancement recommendation, I would have preferred a cocktail rather than confectionery given the special occasions being celebrated.

Concierge: Only utilized for directions to the Beach Club.

Dining: Did not utilize property eateries.

Beach Club: The property and locker rooms were quite lovely. It took us a couple of hours to figure out that we may request a complimentary bucket of ice water bottles. Perhaps, when seating guests, the cabana staff may so mention. We would have appreciated this as well as an offer to bring us a menu.

Water: Yep, deserves it's own mention. As I heard another guest say, "It smells like dookie." While I try to not be crass and remain constructive in my comments, I totally concur. I wonder if installing a property wide water filtration system to remove this odor (and taste).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Damien O, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Rajesh H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback. I am sorry your wife’s birthday and your anniversary stay with us was overall disappointing, particularly since you joined us to celebrate two special occasions.

Your business is very important to us and it appears we failed to meet your expectations and for this, I am truly sorry. Please feel free to contact me directly if you care to discuss this further at 941-309-2001.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Walking into the RC Sarasota having just stayed at the glorious RC Naples, is a huge disappointment. Anxious to get on the 20 minute hourly shuttle to the beach club, it's apparent upon entering our room that the batteries in our safe are dead. Taylor is quick to arrive and upon inspection, declares that 'engineering' must be called. The safe doesn't work with the new batteries and Taylor tells us the safe will have to be changed entirely. A bit of a hassle as you can imagine as we've already missed the hourly shuttle and aren't keen on trekking our valuables with us. He offers us drinks and appetizers at the bar downstairs, which we decline. At this point, I'm expecting an offer to upgrade us to another room but that doesn't happen. We settle on a chauffeured ride to the beach club instead. Taylor gets an A for effort and hospitality.

We arrive at the beach club 20 minutes later. The guy who drives us there is quite nice and chatty. The beach club is situated on the same property where the RC residences are. The infinity pool is quite nice and so is the beach. We settle for the pool and a lovely Hispanic guy looks after us. He sets us up with 2 chairs by the pool. Wait a minute: there are no fitted covers for the chairs? And what's that I see? Stained and frayed towels which are quickly turned over in the hopes that we don't see them? Definitely not the RC Naples here! We manage to have a nice day at the beach club. The staff is nice and the pool is great. Lots of kids here and they are a fun bunch!

The shower's on upon my return to the hotel and I gotta call my partner in. Do you smell that? Yes, the water coming out of the shower head reeks of sulphur and sewage. It's disgusting. Does the RC Sarasota not know about water filters? Isn't this a luxury property? Mind over matter! You gotta shower!

After my lovely shower, I have a look around the room. My partner points out the front doorway. Apparently they hired a sloppy painter who doesn't believe in painting up to the edge. And the under counter cabinet in the bathroom is fake but they haven't glued it shut, so when you open it (naturally), you see the lovely concrete and plumbing. And the chair and matching foot stool in the bedroom are stained with white spots, reminiscent of bleach spots, or maybe otherwise (shudder).

Being utterly disappointed, we voice our concerns with the fellow at the front desk that evening. I will say this: the only alignment with the Ritz brand here is the staff. They are so helpful and very service oriented. Our concerns are heard and our disappointment is validated with a generous hotel credit.

Jack Dusty, the hotel restaurant, is amazing (see my review here). And the grand entrance enchants you with a consistent fragrance of essential oils (Eucalyptus I think) wafting through the air.

I wouldn't stay here again unless the property undergoes a grand renovation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear UrbanLeo,

Thank you for your recent review. While I was pleased you enjoyed the service and hospitality of our ladies and gentlemen, I was very sorry hear of your disappointment with your room.

Constructive feedback is extremely important to us and how we learn in what areas we need to improve. If you have the time and would like to contact me directly, I can be reached at 941-309-2001.

Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

To be fair, there are lovely things about this Ritz. The food was very good, the rooms are fine, and the view and sunset is quite nice. The staff on the surface is excellent, saying hello and acting in a solicitous manner.

What made it overall a poor to average experience is the following: There is no substance behind the friendliness of the staff. There were two particularly troubling things to know about this hotel.

1) There is no place for an adult to swim or relax in the pool. Each time I tried to use the pool, there were numerous children throwing balls, footballs and beanbags which were whizzing by my head. There were inconsiderate parents throwing their kids into the pool, right in front of me, splashing everywhere with no regard for others in the vicinity. I tried to inform the staff and ask if there was anywhere I could swim and I just got a blank look and "I'm so sorry" There is no monitoring of the pool either at the hotel or at the beach club a few miles away. If I wasn't busy in meeting several hours per day I would have been more frustrated by this.

2) There were very strange noises occurring for about two hours each night in the walls. We were in a corner room 524 and from above and in front of us there was an unidentifiable noise similar to a sawing noise or what sounded like moving furniture that was disturbing to being able to sleep. After telling the front desk a few times I got the same "I'm really sorry" "I'm so sorry" . I got several different explanations including they are working on the pipes, someone was moving in a condo on the 10th floor or just plain."I have no idea what that could be" . At least I was able to confirm I was not the only one that heard the noises as one front desk worker admitted there were other complaints. I got no offer to change rooms or any solution or compensation for the disturbance.

Other minor things I didn't like- gurgling in the sink and toilet, very unappealing strong smelling shampoo and products. Not having the beach right on the property is a minor inconvenience. Things I did like are free and replenished water in the room as well as cold water provided when you get to the beach club. Van drivers that shuttle you to and from the beach or St. Armands Circle are very friendly. It was nice to have several seating areas on the property to talk to friends.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 524 unless they assure you the noise problem is resolved.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sugale,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our resort with the TripAdvisor community. While I was pleased to learn you enjoyed our friendly shuttle drivers and the various seating areas throughout the resort, I was very sorry to learn of the disappointments you described.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the frustrations you experienced during your stay. Should your schedule allow, I would be happy to discuss this with you further and can be reached at 941-309-2001.

Your business is very important to us as we strive to provide the fine service and facilities our loyal guests have come to know and expect.

Damien O’Riordan

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!