“Fan of the Ritz” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 47 hotels in Sarasota
Lake Placid, Florida
“Fan of the Ritz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed at this Ritz twice this summer and both times immediately felt so at home. Rashied (hope I spelled it right) at the front desk is THE BEST, always so helpful, friendly, went SO out of his way to fix anything that came up, including my breaking my baby toe on my lounge in the incredible suite I stayed in. He fixed a snaffoo The Hyatt created with family staying there when they didn't deliver the champaigne we ordered. Ritz restaurant was great, beach club was great, everyone accommodated my quirks of gluten-free, dairy free, came up with mock-tails, incredible. The only people I was disappointed with was one desk clerk, don't know her name, and the manager, who both insisted we didn't sign up for the club lounge and we know we did. We were accused of being wrong, so not like a Ritz. Will deal only with Rashied from now on, as I am hoping to spend Thanksgiving there. Other Ritz' I've stayed at during holidays have always been incredible! Don't hesitate to try this Ritz!

Room Tip: The higher the better, suites are amazing and the quietest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

939 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Shelbyville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here with my wife for our honeymoon. They offered a great rate for the off season which made it a no brained to stay here. While the rooms themselves are relatively plain, they are large enough, and feature very nice bathrooms. What makes the place special is the service and attention to detail the staff exhibit. The desk staff were top rate, polite and helpful. The night door man/valet was a very nice young man from the Midwest (like us) who made us feel comfortable and at home in a place that is typically well above our budget. The housekeeping staff had a supernatural ability to determine when we were leaving. Anytime we left for more than 30 minutes we returned to fresh towels, sheets, newspapers, weather reports, and mints. Upon arrival we found champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries waiting in our room. The view from the balcony wasn't great, mostly of the driveway of the hotel. But that didn't matter, since access to the beach club made up for that. The hotel has a small stretch of private beach, which is great next to the busy public Lido Beach. The facility features a wonderful pool, bar service, nightly music, and food. Overall a great experience that I would recommend, especially when the rates drop in the fall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I attended a national conference and my family traveled with me. While I was a little disappointed with our room size and amenities, I soon learned that the staff was what made our experience memorable. My wife and kids loved Sophia. Not only did she provide turn down service, she was touched by our kids thank you note that they left. A few moments later, she returned with a surprise that we will not forget. Thank you! Other nice touches include the complimentary shoe shine, the beach club with transport between locations and kids club so we could have time together after meetings. If we ever return, we will use the Ritz as our home base to build more memories.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We live in Sarasota and frequent Jack Dusty's (the restaurant on property). Before I even get to my review of the hotel I must mention this- you cannot leave this restaurant until you eat the sticky-toffee pudding. It ranks up there with Gordon Ramsay's version, and I never thought I'd say that! :)
My husband and I stayed at the hotel this weekend for a little "stay-cation" for our 5th wedding anniversary. This was my 2nd time staying here.
The hotel is beautiful, as you would expect. Most all rooms have a view of the inter-coastal waterway and downtown Sarasota is, for the most part, pretty scenic. You can walk to downtown for some interesting restaurants, run, walk, or drive the bridge to St. Armand's Key for great shopping or walk over to Marina Jack's to the charter fishing boats or the dolphin scenic tours. There are also theaters, our performing arts hall, Selby Gardens, the John and Mable Ringling Museum and pretty much everything else Sarasota has to offer in the nearby area.
The pool on-site is very nice, well kept and manicured and on the water. There are cabanas or comfortable loungers. You can also either drive or take the hotel provided transport to the "Beach Club" which is about a 10-15 minute drive over the bridge onto Lido Key. There they have a bigger pool and access to Lido Beach. If you have kids, this pool would be a better bet. This beach is nice enough but there are certainly better ones than this so don't be too disappointed (perhaps I am a "beach snob" of sorts having lived in Florida all my life). The sand is course and shelly, not the white powdered sand found on Siesta Beach about 20 minutes south.
We had a couples massage at the spa. Facilities nice but no overly impressive for a Ritz. I really enjoyed the "relaxing waters" room with the jacuzzi. It was serene and warm and I felt completely relaxed as I entered my massage. The massage was one of the best I've had and my husband said the same, but they shorted us 5 minutes of the 50 minutes of massage time. It doesn't sound like a big deal but when you pay the premium prices they're asking, it was mildly disappointing. However, Ashley at spa check out was more than accommodating when we told her of this and she did make up for it. She did an excellent job.
Lori, at the front desk, was also very helpful and everyone from the valets, to the housekeeping staff went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful anniversary, leaving little notes and goodies for us. We felt very well-taken care of!!
On a side note, I do not golf, however, my husband has played this course several times and if you're a golfer and visiting, it is a must go.
All in all, if you are coming to Sarasota, this is, by far, the nicest hotel we have. Nothing is even in the same league.

Room Tip: The walls are a bit thin so ask for a room away from elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Westchestry Cty, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have stayed as a family at this hotel over a dozen times. In all material respects it is a fine property physically. What makes the guest experience world class,,however, is the staff. To a person, the staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful. In a word: hospitable! We had a few glitches in our stay, none of which would cause me to lower my 5 star rating on the hotel. What is noteworthy, is the way the staff looked to make things right. Truly an outstanding customer service culture at the hotel. I can only assume that its tone at the top. And I thus I single out .tyler the front desk manage ( forgive me if I got his title wrong). He was quick to research the problem, and find the right solution to keep a loyal guest coming back. I was impressed with his professionalism and ability to go the extra mile to insure customer satisfaction. Bravo.

the ritz Sarasota is a fantastic property,, make sure you visit the private beach club on lido,key, it is a great amenity for a great property.

Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Both city and bay sides have good views on higher floors
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Ritz is a beautiful hotel and customer service is top notch. It is obvious that everyone who works at the hotel love their jobs and values their guests. Although I was there for business, I brought my wife and 6-month old son due to the fact that I've been traveling a lot lately. My wife and I were treated like royalty and my son was treated like a prince. The most impressive part was when they brought a crib for my son, it was filled with age appropriate toys for him to play with. It was extremely impressive.

I will definitely be returning to this hotel and recommending it highly to all my friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were at the Ritz for a small conference for a nonprofit we support, and had a blast around the hotel! The hotel is not on the beach, but there is a shuttle that takes you there and back and we never had to wait too long. The Beach Club was beautiful and the service was exceptional. I left my iPhone on my chair accidentally and didn't discover it was missing until I was back in our room. I already had a message on our room's phone saying they found it and the shuttle driver actually delivered it straight to our room on his next trip back. Awesome!

One of our favorite things we did was take the hotel's bikes to the Sarasota Botanic Garden. The ride was just a short mile along the water (on a path the whole way). We stopped for lunch along the way and had a blast. The hotel has tons of amenities (like the bikes!) to take advantage of.

I also used the hotel pool and bar and was impressed by the service at both. The only thing I didn't love was that I felt like the staff were afraid they were going to mess up...like maybe they were working too hard to serve us well, but not out of love, more out of fear of falling short. They really had nothing to worry about!

I would recommend this place as a nice, romantic getaway...though there were families there as well!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!