“Super beach club” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago
“Super beach club”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Overall, had a good stay here. The beach club was great and we spent most of our time there. The pool, locker rooms, and hot tub there were very nice, the pool-side service was attentive and the beach is only steps away from the pool. We checked in very late at night and the front desk man was not very friendly. He didn't tell us about any amenities of the hotel and did not great my children in a warm way or offer them welcome gifts like most Ritz-Carltons we have stayed at. That did not get things off to a very good start, but the next day the Concierge and desk staff were very nice and made up for it. The room was clean and acceptable, but not as nice as some other Ritz properties. The people in the room adjoining ours were loud and I could hear every word the man said while he was talking on the phone. I was surprised by how thin the walls were. There were nice restaurants within walking distance for both breakfast and dinner. I would reccommend the hotel again, if only for the great beach club.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota for a weekend getaway with friends and could not have asked for a more pleasant and enjoyable experience. There is something about Ritz-Carlton service that is hard to beat. The staff is incredibly friendly, interested and eager to accommodate. We took full advantage of the free shuttle to the beach club, both to watch an amazing sunset during cocktail hour, and to enjoy a lazy day by the pool where we were pampered at every turn. The beach club is a huge bonus of the property! St. Armand's Circle is only a couple of miles away from the hotel, so an easy shuttle or a nice walk to many shops and restaurants. The hotel restaurant was good, but not our best experience of the weekend. Another trip highlight was hopping on the elevator in the morning and having Starbucks waiting for us as the door opened. We would stay again in a heart beat!

Room Tip: We had a bay view room which was lovely. However, the sun rises on the other side of the building s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

When they first opened the RC Sarasota in 2001, I was a bit shocked by the location. Bayside, really? I usually stay on Siesta Key whenever I visit Sarasota (which is frequent given that most of my family still resides in Florida and theirs are the nicest beaches closests to Tampa) but I have always had a thing for Lido Key. So, when I recently discovered they had built a sister property (the beach club) on Lido suddenly I was all in. (I know, since the sister property has been open since 2005 I'm a bit slow on the upswing. What can I say?)

My sister had just turned 50 so it seemed a decent location to celebrate. Turned out it was. I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. Every single member we encountered was beyond gracious. And I do mean every single staff member (well, except for the one beach club pool side server who thought it might be a good idea to comment on my mom's Gator tervis cup and inform us she was a Seminole and then act as if she had one up on us). Note to service industry staff: you are not here to make enemies; regardless of your political offiliations. After all, I would think your tips do matter.

But beyond that minor inconvenience (and aren't all encounters with FSU fans just a minor glitch in our day? ) we were treated like royalty. From start to finish. And for those of you who just cannot get over the location (read: I'm not on the beach) I can only say: forget about it.

The hotel's daily shuttle service makes getting to the beach club a breeze. There's something special about being able to enjoy the beach during the day and then retiring to accomodations far removed from it. (It's like Casa Monica in St. Augustine, or The Lodge at Koele on Lana'i). And I must admit, I was very fond of the hotel's pool. Liquid sophisticated elegance.

Do check this property out. It is top-notch.

Room Tip: if you can swing the upgrade to the club level it is well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Warren, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I want to start off by giving accolades to the staff--beginning with the valets, front desk, room service and hotel porters. Starting with correctly pronouncing a difficult last name every time (which rarely happens to our family) to making sure that all your needs are being met, their attitude was wonderful and they were exceptional in service. We had only a few minor things that happened, but the staff was quick to resolve--or at least offered a solution to resolve. One was a small plate sized -- dried dark coffee or cocoa stain on the carpet that was observed immediately upon entering our room. They tried to clean it while we left for a few hours but found that the stain needed to be cleaned with strong chemicals. They offered to move us, but we declined because we had already unpacked. Therefore, they would wait until we checked out to complete the cleaning of the carpet stain--which was our choice. The ironing board was missing from the closet, but they sent one up immediately. And, after returning from an event one evening, we entered our room only to find a set of suitcases in our room--evidently placed there in error. The front desk was apologetic and said that they would be up immediately to retrieve them - but it took nearly an hour and a second call to the front desk to have them removed. They were very apologetic and offered a complimentary breakfast for the next morning due to the inconvenience of waiting for the bags to be removed (it was late at night and we were waiting for the bags to be removed so that we could go to sleep.) So, even with a few minor mishaps, the staff was professional and attentive and I would certainly stay here again and would recommend the Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota to travelers. As for the location, it was in walking distance to the marina, shops and boutiques. Saturday offered an very popular farmers market in the downtown area, complete with specialty vendors - not flea market. The Ritz-Carlton is close to other attractions withing driving distance as well.

Room Tip: Our room looked over the courtyard and directly at the Hyatt beyond a small water/dock view. The bal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

we had a beautiful stay...the beach club is a must do!! everything was wonderful. we upgraded to a suite the second night...beautiful!! the restaurant is wonderful sushi is to die for..so close to everything...I didn't want to leave. The pool is wonderful on property but a short shuttle away is the beach club that made our trip!! incredible service and beautiful luxurious beach..I will go back......the staff was just wonderful at accomodating all of our needs..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

From the time we got out of our limo and while we were checking in we felt like royalty. That was our 1st time at this specific Ritz Carlton. We were met by a butler while checking in with iced cold towels, and champagne. My husband doesn't drink champagne, only red wine, so shortly after checking in a glass of red was sent to our room for my husband. How Awesome is that!

We always stay on the club level, and this resorts club level was nothing short of spectacular. We were able to have breakfast, snack, lunch, and after dinner dessert. It is worth the price for staying on the club level. Sitting out on the balcony of the club level overlooking the landscape of Sarasota and the water is great. We also love the fact that not only can we keep going back for seconds and thirds on food, but we can also go back for seconds and thirds on wine, soft drinks, coffee, and champagne.....did I mention seconds on wine and champagne? :).

Our room was nice, typical room nothing special. There is so much to see in Sarasota that you are hardly ever in your room. Ritz Sarasota have their own beach, and it's own beach bar. Prices are not bad, and the beach is OK

Room Tip: - If you can afford it, stay on the club level. I can guarantee it is well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We are currently staying our 6th time since July and it will be our last. This has to be the worst property in the Ritz portfolio. Four of the six times we needed to change rooms (inculding suites) for a variety of reasons: Internet didn't work, air conditioning not operating, etc. The Ritz does not seem to have any quaility control, light bulbs out in the bathroom, remote controls that don't work, dirty phones, mini bars with the seals broken, etc. Little things that when staying at a Ritz should not happen. Last night, after getting another room with a faulty air conditior and waiting several hours without being moved to a different room I had to call AMEX Platinum to deal with it since they represent this in their Fine Hotel program for Plantium members. We finally received a new room but this morning am not delighting in the construction taking place (the restaurant is under construction until end of December). The Ritz should refrain from charging Ritz prices until they get their act together. Be warned, even if you are many floors up you will hear construction noises. Also, to Ritz management, Amex Platinum Fine Hotels program less than thrilled with the response they received last night trying to get us a room that was okay; and after expressing the issues we have had in four of our last stays here they want to have a further conversation with us because this property is not representing their program in the way they want. Finally, almost all of the staff, with the exception of several front desk/management are wonderful and kept us coming back, however after last night and this morning we are done with this Ritz property and will not house our overflow guests here once we move back into our local home.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room on the entrance side to hopefully avoid construction noise. Also, don...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota? Share your experiences!