“Good price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
West Plains, Missouri
“Good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I allways stay with Marriott when I can this one was the same as all of them clean and in a good location about 15 min to the beach and a OK breakfast there were lots of restaurants and things to do and see I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This hotel is great for the Ringling Museum and the airport, just minutes away. We stayed just for one night; the check in was fairly seamless although there were not sufficient rooms with two beds in them for our party despite having requested two beds in the room prior to arriving. Hotel smelled nice and fresh which was a good start. I am a light sleeper and I have to say the air conditioning was pretty noisy so be forewarned; I always travel with ear plugs so I just shoved them in deep and went to sleep but the a/c does make noise when it cycles. Worked fine though. Also, the bathroom light is attached to a an air vent that was very loud and practically squealed (Room 125 for management fixing purposes!). Beds comfy, two TV's, nice desk, wifi worked ok for me, coffee good, I also wish there had been a freezer in with the frig so we could have refrozen our ice packs for the journey home to Miami but such is life. We did not use the pool, didn't have time. We thought the breakfast was fairly good, not great. As others have said the eggs were a bit strange but the turkey patty's and the bagels etc., were nice. There is also a waffle maker, plenty of coffee, cereal bar, muffins, toast etc. and the lady on duty worked so hard to replenish everything as fast as she could. We did have a power surge in the middle of breakfast and the a/c went off, it was very hot in the breakfast room and I had to ask them to turn the air on again! There is very limited seating so we also saw many people taking food back to their rooms but we just waited patiently for a table of four to clear and it only took a few minutes. Overall it was nice, clean, perfectly fine for one night.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Marco Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

First and foremost, Robby at the front desk was utterly fantastic. He greeted everyone with a genuine smile and always had something nice to say. He acted like a top notch concierge and guided us to some excellent restaurants and gave us other advice. He even took every flavor lollipop out of the bowl and told my daughter what each was. No matter how many times we came in or out, he always greeted us with his smile. WHAT AN ASSET. This gentleman should be working at the Ritz Carlton as GM with his great attitude. The rest of the staff was pleasant as well.

Now for why I rate the room average. The good part is that it's much larger than your typical hotel room, it is in fact a suite, with a sitting area that contains a pull out couch, kitchenette and desk. Simply a good size and comfortable room. As others have mentioned, it is an odd layout and the bathroom needs to be updated. The cultured marble top is antiquated. Small bottles of shampoo are supplied and they were Paul Mitchell which my wife liked. 1 wife and 2 daughters with long hair, so we needed more or bigger bottles. The beds were pretty soft and looked a bit haggard on the bottom edges.

The really nasty part of the room is the Air Conditioning system. No matter what you set the temperature to, when you walk in the room, the front sitting area is warm, dank and smells musty. We put the ceiling fan on, but it does not help. Instead of central air they have a big Freidrich unit that makes noise all night long, the electric cord to the unit is laying on the floor and it simply can't cool the room properly and remove the humidity. This was August and it was 90 degrees out, but some engineer should have designed this better when they built it. This is really unacceptable and if you are sensitive to musty smells it will be a huge turnoff.

We were dropping off our daughter at The New College of Florida which is very near by, in fact the hotel is clustered among a whole bunch of hotels as the location next to the airport and a few local colleges is very convenient and is situated near everything you need. The lobby is again a bit nicer than most similar hotels. It struck me as odd that the lobby was so nice and the bathrooms are so outdated. To computers and a printer that we used were a nice touch. The pool and workout room were both being used by many guests and looked to be more than sufficient.

The room is very quiet and the one elevator is bit slow as the hotel was pretty busy. The breakfast I thought was above average, scrambled eggs that weren't to bad, turkey sausage one day, turkey Canadian bacon the next and again not bad. Oatmeal with fixings, a hot homemade waffle maker that was good, but again the crowd made it about a 15 minute wait to get one. Decent coffee but it was hard for the staff to stay on top of keeping it full as everybody was hitting it hard. Muffins, bagels, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit and juices. Again, above average for free hotel breakfast.

If the AC was up to the task I would have liked and rated it much higher, but, it was a big negative.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Husband and I stayed just two nights 4th of July weekend.

ROOM: clean, quiet, well-furnished; comfy bed, comfy sofa. Slightly odd architecturally, as one wall had a strange angle, and the toilet paper was unusually far from the toilet (which to us was just weird, but to a child might be problematic). Also, I was slightly disappointed that the mini fridge did not have a freezer section. The microwave also was kind of primitive (not a lot of power) and did poorly at popping popcorn.

BREAKFAST: Maybe it was because of the holiday(?) but the tiny buffet area was *very* crowded, and some items ran out and were not promptly replenished (namely, the fruit, and the hot items). And the "eggs" were disgusting. But otherwise, breakfast had a good variety of options. Oh, and the seating was scarce, too. I saw some people taking food back to their rooms, presumably because all the seats were taken (including the chairs in the lobby).

POOL AND HOT TUB: nice, but the water was not very hot in the tub and the jets turned off after about 5-10 minutes and didn't come back on during the next 10-15 minutes we were there. (We were using the pool and hot tub about 90 mins before they were supposed to close).

STAFF: were very friendly and seemed eager to please.

INTERNET: the in-room wi-fi was not the most reliable; on a few occasions, it temporarily stopped working (for several minutes at a time).

LOCATION: Convenient drive away from the things we wanted to see (Ringling Museum, Mote Aquarium, restaurants) but Sarasota is not a huge area (or so I think, being from Los Angeles!).

Anyway, it was a fine stay overall, good value for the money, except that the breakfast was a disappointing experience. And unfortunately, for those like me and my husband who highly value a good breakfast, it will probably sway our decision not to return here, but next time check out some other, similar lodging option.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights, with a group of friends, with 4 rooms total.
The parts that stuck out were the price, service, and location. It is only about 10-15 minutes from Lido Beach and the St. Armand's Circle, and not far from any of the surrounding beaches. The price we paid for 4th of July weekend cannot be beat. All the staff were very friendly.
Now, the parts that stuck out in a not so good way....
Our room smelled like old, wet carpet. Even running the AC did not take away the smell. And the AC was stuck on one fan speed, blowing right at the bed. Also, the lay out of the room, if you are using the pull out sofa is awful! You have to move a coffee table, and once you open the couch there is no way to freely walk the room! You literally have to crawl over the bed to get from one side of the room to another! The pool was very clean, but the hot tub was a warm tub, not hot. We encountered housekeeping staff that cannot speak English, so that can be frustrating if you're monolingual. Parking was lot was full to where we couldn't even find parking due to boat races taking up 6 parking spaces each. Finally, the breakfast area is very cramped, so when the hotel is busy it is like feeding time at the zoo.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay; however, I would think twice before staying at this location again.

• Stayed July 2014
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel is right across the street from the airport. Don't worry, it was not noisy. All the staff very friendly, used my name every time they saw me. Breakfast was okay... hotel fast breakfast type. would have like it better if there had been some fresh fruit. Rooms clean. fine stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My family and I have stayed at Marriott properties before, but this was our first time at a Springhill Suites.

The good.....nice, quiet location surrounded by trees. A few miles to the beach. It is by the airport, but no noticeable noise from the airport.

Friendly and professional staff. The young lady at the desk checked me in quickly, acknowledged me as a Marriott Rewards Member, told me the layout of the building, and smiled a lot. The young man at the desk the next morning was equally courteous and friendly.

The 2 bed suite with sofabed was nice. A long comfy couch was in the living area. It actually was a sofa bed with one detachable section, so that made it extra long. The kitchen area had a microwave, small fridge and small sink, as well as a desk and chair. It's nice to have that sink in the kitchen area.

There were 2 double beds, a large bathroom with toilet and shower, the bathroom sink outside of it. The whole bathroom area was in an alcove area. I liked the set up.

Breakfast was pretty good. I had hot scrambled eggs that were better than most hotels' eggs. My husband had the turkey Canadian ham and liked it. The offerings are limited, but good. My children had bagels and fruit.

The hotel was clean, as was our room. I liked the blue and green decor, and the updated lighting.
Now

For "the bad"... Outdoor pool was okay, but the hot tub was not. It had leaves in it, looked dirty, and the water was not hot at all. My husband said the pool was warmer than the hot tub! He put his foot in the hot tub, but the temperature and lack of cleanliness turned him off. I did notice both the hot tub and pool had lift chairs for those who need assistance getting in and out of the water. It was a rare sight to me, anyway.

The sofa bed had a horrible mattress. Very thin. My son said he could feel the springs beneath it. You also had to climb over the sofa bed when it was out if you wanted to get from one room to another, or the door.

I do not care for double beds. We are used to our queen bed, so hubby and I were uncomfortable in this narrow bed. The bedding was okay. We did not sleep very well.

I will not choose Springhill Suites again if they only have double beds. A king bed and a sofabed are not an option for us because of our kids. We usually stay at Residence Inn, but I had a free night certificate that I couldn't use at Residence Inn, which happened to be right next door, because they did not have a room available where I could have used the certificate.

For a stay of a night or 2, and if a king or double bed is okay for you, this is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott/ Sarasota Bradenton? Share your experiences!