“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Arlington, Virginia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was a bit apprehensive booking this hotel since I normally stay at a higher end hotel and and reading some of the reviews. However, I didn't have much choice since most of the hotels I wanted to stay in (e.g., Indigo) were booked for Spring Break. There were some reviews that mentioned the hotel was renovated late 2012, and so I took a chance. I'm glad I did.

I don't know what the hotel looked like before, but I really liked the renovation. It liked the bold colors and design patterns they chose. It made the place feel "hipper." As soon as I walked into my room, I could tell it was pretty new by the smell. The sofa looked spotless and the fabric didn't feel cheap. There was a desk next to the kitchenette where you could work and you could access the internet through WiFi or coax. I found that the speeds weren't great sometimes with either connection and wound up using my MiFi instead. The queen-sized bed was nice and comfortable with lots of pillows. I guess it must have been filled with feather because it seemed to sink in and I had to use several of them to get the fluffiness I'm used to with my Tempurpedic pillow at home. BTW, the room was also nicely decorated, at least to my tastes. Based on reading some of the other posts, I wasn't sure if they completely renovated the bathroom or not. I think they did. The toilet and shower looked brand new. However, the drain in the sink look a little rusty. I'm thinking that they probably bought some cheap stuff and that's it's really new but got rusty quick. I didn't care too much for the bathroom tiles. It looked outdated and cheap, but I guess that's what you pay for. However, it was clean and looked to be new. I have a feeling it will age quickly so go book there now. :-)

The really nice deal is the complimentary breakfast. I was very impressed. This was no ordinary continental breakfast. They had the usual suspects like yogurt, juice, coffee, bagels, and toast, but also had eggs, ham, and sausages.

This hotel didn't seem to have a lot of staff, so if you're looking for a lot service, look elsewhere. If you want to do your own laundry, they have machines available as well as supplies that you can buy.

Like most business hotels that I've stayed in, this one was also "noisy" in the sense that you can hear people from the halls. Maybe that's normal?

Room Tip: I'd choose a room on any floor but the first one. I was on the top floor. The reason is becaus...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vero Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was fine and our stay was very average, but there were several ups and downs resulting in that median. The pros were really nice front desk personnel who were efficient and helpful, pleasant pool area for a hotel of this class, appealing exterior, and as-advertised suite-style rooms. The cons were maids that didn't empty waste baskets or replace towels, a dead cockroach in residence on arrival, and a very crowded breakfast area. The location is good for several tourist-type attractions and close enough to beaches on the keys. However, there are no (well maybe 1) decent restaurants close by. An "OK" stay (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Room Tip: Get to breakfast early or take it back to the room.
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The family took up a room for a night and was pleasantly surprised. Two doubles AND a couch that converted to a bed- not bad. There was enough room and we were thrilled that the hotel has thoughtfully placed beautiful (and recently published) travel guides for Sarasota/Bradenton in the rooms. It helped us plan our time well. The decor and furnishings have been recently updated-clean and modern but also with bright colors. The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating with our requests and questions. The free breakfast was the standard Marriott fare (make your own waffle, scrambled eggs and sausage, cereals, etc) and the kitchen staff was friendly. It is a short drive to the Ringling Museum of Art and even the drive to Lido Beach and the drive to historic downtown Sarasota (restaurants, shopping, live music at some of the bars) was quick and easy. I hate to say it but I can't wait to get back to this hotel. Well done Marriott!

Room Tip: No tips- even though we overloked the parking lot, we were still happy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Entire Staff is very friendly, from hotel manager to maid service, most caring and genuinely interested in making our stay enjoyable. It shows when you walk in. The hotel is attractive and well maintained, and the breakfast area provides good breakfast by a very caring food manager. Cost is included in the stay, nice! The place is perfect for our visit and my husband and I recommend it to any visiting the area. Great location, very close to airport, shopping and many wonderful eateries.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very friendly staff, good place to stay, nice rooms, brakfast included in the price, internet was to slow in the suite.
Location is good, close to downtown, airport etc.
We had a small issues, so General manager was very good and he offer us another few rooms to check and we were able to move to another even better room quickly.

Room Tip: Very friendly and helpfull staff.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was attracted by the decent internet price and included breakfast. This place was meant for a quick stay and it served that purpose. But having said that, our bathroom needed some serious attention and eggs/sausage were horrible.

Upon check-in the young lady working was very friendly but did not seem to understand my question as to available upgrades. I blame it on a lack of training or manager supervision.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised upon arriving at this hotel. It truly was a suite, with lots of room. Although by myself, a family of four could have easily stayed here. The breakfast was quite good and included in the price. Since I was there in February, when Florida prices are at their highest, I thought it was a bit pricey. But for a couple or a family it would have been a good value since breakfast and Internet are included in the price. Close to downtown Sarasota and Siesta Key

Room Tip: I always recommend away from elevators and on a high floor to avoid noise from late night check ins.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott/ Sarasota Bradenton? Share your experiences!