“Step Back In Time Accommodation, Quaint &Quirky, Top Drawer Location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gulf Beach Resort Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Gulf Beach Resort Motel
Save Saved
You added Gulf Beach Resort Motel to your Saves list
930 Ben Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Special Price
Florida Resident Special
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Step Back In Time Accommodation, Quaint &Quirky, Top Drawer Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The only remaining mid 20th century "Motel" on the beautiful Lido Key.
If you are looking for a superb location with a bit of historical atmosphere at a very reasonable price then this just might suit.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our final stop on a 10 week business trip to the US before heading home and it was a great choice. As people have said it is an old property but don't let that put you off, we chose room 201 and a good choice it was. It has it's own private courtyard, where you can relax and feel a million mile away from the world, the only possible issue is it has a "murphy bed" that folds up into the wall. However, making and folding the bed away takes 2 mins and makes the whole place much bigger for the daytime - so in hindsight I think it works well. Oh and there was a BBQ, table, chairs and loungers in the coutyard.

Great beach, pool if you need it, a beach bar and a restaurant in other resorts just a short walk down the beach. Plus all the amenities of "the circle", restaurants, bars, shops etc

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We spend a weekend on this resort motel July 2104 , nice and friendly staff , beautiful sandy beach right behind the buildings , the motel is old but clean , is located in beautiful Lido Key , we love the place and hope to come back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. I appreciate your comments about our staff as each and every member makes every effort to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. It sounds like you were able to enjoy our beautiful beach during your time with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you return to visit with us again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We came back to our special room, 319, for 8 days of relaxation and old school vacation time at Lido Beach. We love this little motel and have been coming off and on for 18 years. The nice folks that work there are more than willing to help when you need it, but after so many years coming to the same room, we don't mind fixing problems ourselves. We had new TV's and floor this year. The owener of the condo is always doing something to make the room a little better. I would give it 5 stars, but every time you opened and closed the curtains, the curtain rods would come apart. At check out, I mentioned this issue and was a little taken back when the nice lady checking me out acted like she already knew about the problem. If you know about it, fix it. Anyway, we booked for two more years while we were there and I am sure the curtains will be fixed by the time we get back. Thanks Gulf Beach Resort for helping make our vacation another wonderful trip.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to us over the years and look forward to having you stay with us for many more years to come. I apologize for the issue with the curtain rods. We were not aware of the situation and would have been sure to rectify it as soon as possible. We appreciate our guests letting us know if and when there is an issue in the room so that we can attend to it immediately. I am glad that you were able to book your favorite unit for the next few years and we look forward to seeing you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I spend a couple of days at this little hidden paradise back in June. We had an awesome time, every room is decorated differently, some of them need to be upgraded. The front desk staff was AWESOME!!! very accommodating and very kind. Our room was just lovely and very clean. This is a very quiet Motel, we didn't hear any noise at all the time we were there. Take a few steps and you are right on the beautiful beach. We are looking forward to our next visit to GULF BEACH RESORT MOTEL.

Pedro and Annette
Orlando

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your first visit to Gulf Beach Resort Motel. I like that you refer to us as a "little hidden paradise" as we truly do feel that way about our property. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff as each member puts forth their best effort to make each guest's stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. It sounds like you spent some time on our beach and I certainly hope you were able to enjoy one of our beautiful sunsets. We look forward to having you return to stay with us again!
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My family and friends have been coming to this property for more years than I can remember. We always book our stay to enjoy the 4th of July and the Suncoast Superboat festivities that are topped off with the big race on Sunday. We always have a blast with the friends that we have made at the motel during this week. Year after year, the same group returns and we laugh, cook out, joke around and truly make this a vacation.

We have watched our children and their friends grow up before our eyes enjoying this yearly tradition. Our kids and their friends who now have jobs, houses and children of their own always insist that we keep the tradition alive

The Motel is a classic example of an "Old Florida" beach motel and you just don't find many of these around anymore. Most of them have been torn down and turned into multi-story mega hotels or sky scraper condominiums. Although there is nothing fancy about the property, it has a nostalgic charm about it that takes you back to the days that the foundation was poured. The staff in years past have always treated you as if you were a member of the family. It is for these reasons that we choose to return year after year.

I was not going to write a review until I read the comments from Beach Bum. I must agree that the new maintenance guy named Jason was not a great addition to the motel family. During my stay, he made several wise crack and unfriendly comments to myself and my guests. He walks around or rides his golf cart with a posture and an attitude as if he is doing us a favor by allowing us to stay at the motel. I even asked other staff members about this new addition and NO ONE had a positive thing to say about him. It is if he has appointed himself the Gulf Beach tyrant who is going to keep the staff and all of the guests in line, otherwise, you are going to hear about it.

We are, and always have been, respectful to the property that we have been enjoying for years. We clean up after ourselves and are respectful of other guests. We especially appreciate the hard working people that have been employed at this property for years and years and have always make us feel welcome.

I am in the customer service business and I have chosen to spend my money at this property because of the warmth, charm and the feel of the motel. It's too bad than one new member of the staff has taken a big slice of that "feel" away. I did not feel welcome at times, as if I was being watched to be caught doing something bad. All one has to do is observe Jason's body language to see that he loathes the guests that are causing him extra work. He appeared to be particularly annoyed the morning after the 4th of July when he was throwing away the remnants of fireworks from the night before. He looked like he could have exploded at any minute.

I truly hope that the management, owners and Board of Directors monitor this and take corrective action. If I treated my customers this way, they would choose to do business elsewhere. If this is the "new" feel of The Gulf Beach Motel, we will do the same thing and take our business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Downstairs and closest to the beach are best.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. We certainly appreciate all your kind comments and sharing your long history with us. You very eloquently described what Gulf Beach is all about. We hope that every guest can experience the same nostalgia and begin to build the same type of tradition that your family has with us. I am sorry and do apologize for the bad experience that you had with our new employee. He has been with us for a relatively short time and is still trying to acclimate himself with the staff, guests and the industry. He takes his job very seriously and this was his first experience with a 4th of July weekend which tends to be quite a bit different than our normal course of business. The main goal for all employees at all times is to keep our guests feeling comfortable and safe. We are working with him to improve his interactions with guests which he himself admits needs improvement. You are correct in that most of our staff has been with us for quite some time and we are like a family. I am hoping that we can correct the situation as he is a very hard worker and is an asset to Gulf Beach in many ways. Hopefully he can learn and make adjustments so that he can become a part of our family. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family and I always enjoy our stay at the resort. We have been coming for 20 + years. This year a new maintenance man was harassing my family and was extremely rude to my visitors. This man made my niece very uncomfortable. I hope our next stay will be more enjoyable and hope he is not still employed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. I am sorry and apologize that you did not have a good experience with one of our employees. He is relatively new to Gulf Beach as well as new to the industry. We are working with him to improve the way he interacts with guests. He is a very hard worker and takes his job very seriously, perhaps a little too seriously, so we will work on that as well. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Been to Gulf Beach Resort Motel? Share your experiences!