“Glad to be back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gulf Beach Resort Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Gulf Beach Resort Motel
You added Gulf Beach Resort Motel to your Saves list
930 Ben Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
“Glad to be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We came back to our special room, 319, for 8 days of relaxation and old school vacation time at Lido Beach. We love this little motel and have been coming off and on for 18 years. The nice folks that work there are more than willing to help when you need it, but after so many years coming to the same room, we don't mind fixing problems ourselves. We had new TV's and floor this year. The owener of the condo is always doing something to make the room a little better. I would give it 5 stars, but every time you opened and closed the curtains, the curtain rods would come apart. At check out, I mentioned this issue and was a little taken back when the nice lady checking me out acted like she already knew about the problem. If you know about it, fix it. Anyway, we booked for two more years while we were there and I am sure the curtains will be fixed by the time we get back. Thanks Gulf Beach Resort for helping make our vacation another wonderful trip.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to us over the years and look forward to having you stay with us for many more years to come. I apologize for the issue with the curtain rods. We were not aware of the situation and would have been sure to rectify it as soon as possible. We appreciate our guests letting us know if and when there is an issue in the room so that we can attend to it immediately. I am glad that you were able to book your favorite unit for the next few years and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I spend a couple of days at this little hidden paradise back in June. We had an awesome time, every room is decorated differently, some of them need to be upgraded. The front desk staff was AWESOME!!! very accommodating and very kind. Our room was just lovely and very clean. This is a very quiet Motel, we didn't hear any noise at all the time we were there. Take a few steps and you are right on the beautiful beach. We are looking forward to our next visit to GULF BEACH RESORT MOTEL.

Pedro and Annette
Orlando

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your first visit to Gulf Beach Resort Motel. I like that you refer to us as a "little hidden paradise" as we truly do feel that way about our property. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff as each member puts forth their best effort to make each guest's stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. It sounds like you spent some time on our beach and I certainly hope you were able to enjoy one of our beautiful sunsets. We look forward to having you return to stay with us again!
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My family and friends have been coming to this property for more years than I can remember. We always book our stay to enjoy the 4th of July and the Suncoast Superboat festivities that are topped off with the big race on Sunday. We always have a blast with the friends that we have made at the motel during this week. Year after year, the same group returns and we laugh, cook out, joke around and truly make this a vacation.

We have watched our children and their friends grow up before our eyes enjoying this yearly tradition. Our kids and their friends who now have jobs, houses and children of their own always insist that we keep the tradition alive

The Motel is a classic example of an "Old Florida" beach motel and you just don't find many of these around anymore. Most of them have been torn down and turned into multi-story mega hotels or sky scraper condominiums. Although there is nothing fancy about the property, it has a nostalgic charm about it that takes you back to the days that the foundation was poured. The staff in years past have always treated you as if you were a member of the family. It is for these reasons that we choose to return year after year.

I was not going to write a review until I read the comments from Beach Bum. I must agree that the new maintenance guy named Jason was not a great addition to the motel family. During my stay, he made several wise crack and unfriendly comments to myself and my guests. He walks around or rides his golf cart with a posture and an attitude as if he is doing us a favor by allowing us to stay at the motel. I even asked other staff members about this new addition and NO ONE had a positive thing to say about him. It is if he has appointed himself the Gulf Beach tyrant who is going to keep the staff and all of the guests in line, otherwise, you are going to hear about it.

We are, and always have been, respectful to the property that we have been enjoying for years. We clean up after ourselves and are respectful of other guests. We especially appreciate the hard working people that have been employed at this property for years and years and have always make us feel welcome.

I am in the customer service business and I have chosen to spend my money at this property because of the warmth, charm and the feel of the motel. It's too bad than one new member of the staff has taken a big slice of that "feel" away. I did not feel welcome at times, as if I was being watched to be caught doing something bad. All one has to do is observe Jason's body language to see that he loathes the guests that are causing him extra work. He appeared to be particularly annoyed the morning after the 4th of July when he was throwing away the remnants of fireworks from the night before. He looked like he could have exploded at any minute.

I truly hope that the management, owners and Board of Directors monitor this and take corrective action. If I treated my customers this way, they would choose to do business elsewhere. If this is the "new" feel of The Gulf Beach Motel, we will do the same thing and take our business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Downstairs and closest to the beach are best.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. We certainly appreciate all your kind comments and sharing your long history with us. You very eloquently described what Gulf Beach is all about. We hope that every guest can experience the same nostalgia and begin to build the same type of tradition that your family has with us. I am sorry and do apologize for the bad experience that you had with our new employee. He has been with us for a relatively short time and is still trying to acclimate himself with the staff, guests and the industry. He takes his job very seriously and this was his first experience with a 4th of July weekend which tends to be quite a bit different than our normal course of business. The main goal for all employees at all times is to keep our guests feeling comfortable and safe. We are working with him to improve his interactions with guests which he himself admits needs improvement. You are correct in that most of our staff has been with us for quite some time and we are like a family. I am hoping that we can correct the situation as he is a very hard worker and is an asset to Gulf Beach in many ways. Hopefully he can learn and make adjustments so that he can become a part of our family. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family and I always enjoy our stay at the resort. We have been coming for 20 + years. This year a new maintenance man was harassing my family and was extremely rude to my visitors. This man made my niece very uncomfortable. I hope our next stay will be more enjoyable and hope he is not still employed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. I am sorry and apologize that you did not have a good experience with one of our employees. He is relatively new to Gulf Beach as well as new to the industry. We are working with him to improve the way he interacts with guests. He is a very hard worker and takes his job very seriously, perhaps a little too seriously, so we will work on that as well. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again.
Sour Lake, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Found this under the value section on Trip Advisor. It was just under a C-note, so it was surely a value when considering the location. This might be the first place that I have stayed that had its own road side historical marker. At any rate, this was a decent place to stay. This is where you come with the fam so you can turn them loose in the pool or on the beach, but not have to break the bank. We were only staying overnight, so you could argue that for near the same money a Hampton Inn out on the interstate would have been more modern, but we don't really have any complaints. It is Old Florida, but that should not be a surprise. The room decor, especially the small bathroom, was straight out of my parent's house from 1964. But it was very clean and all functional. (OK, the TV was wide screen flat panel and my parents never had one of those! I don't want to leave a false impression; I would come back and vacation here.) The king size bed was the widest one that I have ever seen, and was firm enough without being hard. The room lock is by key code, changed to my last 4 digits, so you don't need to schlepp a key or card with you to the beach. With tile floors it is obvious that beach stays are the mission. Enjoy your vacation.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GulfBeachMotel, General Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. It sounds like you truly appreciated the ambiance of Gulf Beach and experienced memories of Old Florida style accommodations. We are a locally designated historical property and are proud and happy to maintain the original structures and offer a unique type of place to vacation. The flat screen TV's in the units are one of the concessions we've decided to make in order for our guests to have a relaxed and enjoyable stay. We also strive to keep our rates affordable so that families can still enjoy a vacation at the beach. We appreciate all of your kind comments about our property and look forward to having you return to stay with us again!
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Our first stay was an anniversary gift. Both my husband and I had come to Florida as children and love the “Old Florida” feel of this place. Even though it was built in the 1950’s it has been kept in very good condition. Our room had a large, private, walled, shady patio with a grill. We loved having breakfast out there. We really enjoyed the private beach with the Tikki Hut. Our room had all the appliances anyone could need and the bathroom was very nicely tiled. But the best part of the trip was the staff. They are so accommodating and helpful. We can’t wait to come back. We don’t know why our friends have been keeping this place to themselves!

Room Tip: Small, intimate place. All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. What a wonderful gift you received for your anniversary! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and discovered our own little piece of paradise here on Lido Key. All of our rooms are decorated differently so we always try to match a guest to a room that will fit their needs. It sounds like you were a perfect match! I really appreciate your comments about our staff. They all work very hard to make each guest feel comfortable and enjoy their stay. I hope you will share your experience with your friends and encourage them to come and spend some time with us as well. We look forward to your next visit!
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel All went well just like the first stay. The room was clean and spacious. The hotel clerks were very nice as well as the cleaning staff. We stayed in room 316. This was a hotel room on the top floor. We have already reserved our stay for next year in a lower floor unit. If you want a little more privacy book a room on the first floor with a private screened porch. The hotel is right on the beach.

Room Tip: Book room on first floor as they have screened porches.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GulfBeachMotel, Manager at Gulf Beach Resort Motel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Gulf Beach Resort Motel. I am happy that you returned to stay with us a second time and I hope that you plan many more trips back to visit with us again. I appreciate your comments about our staff as each member takes great pride in their work and puts forth every effort to make each guest's stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. Our property is right on the beach and because we are not a large property each unit is literally steps from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. All of our rooms are different and most units do have fully equipped kitchens and screened-in private patios. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Been to Gulf Beach Resort Motel? Share your experiences!