“Italian in Hillview section” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza, Wine Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Lucia's Pizza Italian Grill offers top of the line authentic Italian cuisine. From traditional pasta dishes and sizzling steaks/seafood to gourmet New York/New Jersey style pizza, there's no way you'll leave hungry. With a focus on extraordinary service, this family owned restaurant in Sarasota, Florida boasts a fourth generation pizza sauce recipe that is sure to satisfy your cravings.
Westfield, New Jersey
“Italian in Hillview section”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Always happy when a new restaurant survives year 1. Visited a year ago and enjoyed and went back last night to enjoy great food at this family owned and operated restaurant. We also felt an allegiance to support our "jersey" transplant!!! No problem with a substitution. Service was quick, attentive and friendly. Pasta fagiole was especially good as well as mussels and the sausage & spinach pasta dish. Most desserts are made on site which is when we order! Pear cake light and satisfying. Will be back next year!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cate M, Public Relations Manager at Lucia's Pizza Italian Grill, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for the review! We look forward to having you back next year.

“Not so Happy this time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our second time at Lucia's. The first time out I had a bad experience but chalked it up to my ignorance in ordering the wrong entre. The other three in our party all felt the appetizers, pizza and pasta meals were good. So we went back and this time rather than experience the same goodness, the others experienced what I did originally. The pizza was grossly over cooked. Tasted like they put pepperoni on an old pizza they had left over then reheated it til it was burnt and stiff as a board. Loaded with oil, it tasted bland and no better than the board it resembeled. Other diners seem to have been served their pizzas in better shape, although I can't speak to taste. I must comment that I did not see a smile on any diner or server for that matter, and not sure if it might have been the food or the erratic service. One of us actually had to get up and go to the bar to ask for water and a drink refill twice. Coffee was not available. It gets a poor rating rather than a terrible it deserves this time based solely on a fair past performance. We won't be back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I had not been out without the kids in a vewry long time so I bought a Restaurant.com certificate to try Lucia's. After reading several reviews I was excited to go here since most of them has good reviews. My husband and I got to Lucia's a little after 9pm and there was another couple finishing their dinner. I took a look at the wine list since I wanted a glass of Moscato but was disappointed to see that I had to buy the whole bottle of wine which was $25. I did not want to spend that much on a glass of wine and my husband dose not drink wine so I passed. I then looked at the draft selection and was excite to see that they had Bud Select. I ordered a glass of Bud Select draft but was told they did not have it any more and the waiter asked me to show him where it was on the beer menu. I showed him and he said that it was a misprint. I then just ordered a Bud Light and my husband got water. We then ordred the Deep Fried Mozzarella and Garlic Bread. The waiter informed us that the Garlic Bread was Garlic sticks and we tod him that was ok. The Fried Mozarella was very good but the Garlic Bread was VERY bad. It was pizza dough thinly rolled and was burnt in serveral places without any taste of garlic. I ordered the Alfredo and my husband ordered the Parmasan Chicken for dinner which both looked great. My Alfredo was good and my husband said that his meal was just OK. My husband's water was left empty for most of his meal. We could not find our waiter until the end of our meal to ask for more water. I know it was close to closing time but we were the ONLY ones in the restaurant at the time so this was unacceptable. When we were brought our check they had added the gratuity already which was ok since I know some places add gratuity to your check when you use a Restaurant.com certificate. The problem I had with the gratutity was that usually it is 18% as stated on the Restaurant.com website .. if it is added beforehand. Our bill was $43 before the discount and a gratuity of $9.30 was added. I'm not sure what math school this is from but even 20% would have been only $8.60 not $9.30. If you add tax to the $43 it would be $46.01 plus 18% would be $54.30 or $8.28 for gratuity. None of the Restaurant.com certificates say they add 20%, they all add 18% and it is not on Lucia's Restaurant.com certificate ANYWHERE that they add gratuity. I am a server and ALWAYS leave 20% tip because I know how hard servers work so I don't have a problem with paying gratuity. I just think it is HIGHLY wrong to add more than 20% especially when it is not written anywhere on the certificate. We decided that we would not be back again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Unflavorful Food & A Bar-Type Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I received a gift certificate to Lucia's for my birthday and had been saving it for a nice night out with my husband. Even though we live in Sarasota we never eat in this area because it tends to be a little overpriced. We arrived at the restaurant at around 8 PM and were seated right away. It's a very small restaurant with a long bar area and some outdoor seating. We liked the decor and the ambiance at first but it quickly turned into more of a bar type setting due to the very loud "cackling" of a drunk woman coming from a table near us. The menu is HUGE and it took me a few minutes to decide. I had a glass of the "White Blend" wine which was very good, but not good enough to be $8 a glass. I ended up ordering the Chicken Francese with angel hair pasta and my husband had the Margarita Pizza. After the first couple bites of our food, we both agreed that each of our entree's needed some salt, and I don't put salt on ANYTHING. EVER! The food looked really good, and it didn't taste bad, but it just didn't have any flavor. Even my husband's pizza was bland. We did have really good service, my husband's drink was never empty! But we will not be returning. Also on a side note, about two hours after we returned home, I became very sick and threw up my entire meal. I really don't know if something was wrong with their food or if it just didn't sit well with me, but I rarely ever vomit. Our bill was $50 total including tax and tip.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cate M, Public Relations Manager at Lucia's Pizza Italian Grill, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Lucia's. We are so sorry to hear your trip was less than stellar. We'd love the opportunity to serve you again - please mention this review for a complimentary appetizer and glass of wine. Warmest regards.
new jersey
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

On a recent trip to the Sarasota area my family and I were pleased to finally come across Lucia's. We tried other area restaurants and the food was nothing to talk about. Being from NY we are use to a certain flare and style of restaurants and none had them. Walking down Osprey one night we came across Lucia's and peeked in. We had no idea they just had a major remodel but loved the look and went in to sit down. The atmosphere was great and very inviting. We were greeted with a smile and had drinks and bread at our table in a blink of an eye. We started off our dinner with the shrimp campagna and there ginger calamari. The flavor was outstanding! For our entrees my husband had the "dukes" mussels , for myself the 1812 chicken with marsala sauce and the kids had a cheese pizza which was one of the best pies I have ever tasted. Of course we saved room for dessert and finished the meal off with a Dana dessert and a slice of Godiva chocolate cake which was heavenly. Thank you Lucia's for the amazing food and treating us like "family". Hope to be back down to visit you all again soon!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your wonderful recommendation; we truly appreciate the feedback! We'd love to have you back anytime you're in town. Warmest regards.