“Interesting good value don't miss bird sanctuary across the street” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium

Ranked #8 of 54 Attractions in Sarasota
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the Mote Marine Laboratory, this is home to a 135,000 gallon outdoor shark tank and many other marine species.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
3 attraction reviews
“Interesting good value don't miss bird sanctuary across the street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

A very nice place with interesting exhibits that are educational and fun for everyone. The food was reasonable and nice portions, not to mention the diner was like walking into the 50s. The only thing that was not so good was the dolphin exhibit. The dolphin seemed lonely and bored all by himself in a large pool. I have heard that they are looking for a friend, but I am unsure if it is true or not. All in all a great time for the family, and remember to go to the bird sanctuary right next door which is interesting and instructive.

Visited August 2014

Charleston, West Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“Average aquarium but great research facility”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I visited the Mote Marine Aquarium while in town for a conference and while it was nice, I just wasn't impressed. It seemed too small and was lacking in that "wow" factor. Maybe I've just been to too many larger aquariums and expected more? I'm not sure. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I expected either.

Now the laboratory and research side, however, was very interesting. Since we were on a guided tour, we didn't have as much time to explore as I would've liked but what we did see was worth the money. We spent some time talking to one of the researchers about coral and then we got to see various rehabilitated animals including a dolphin and sea turtle. I think the educational component was more interesting on this side and would suggest stopping here before (or instead of?) visiting the main aquarium.

Tucker, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome Aquarium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is one of the best aquariums I have ever visited. My sister and I took my 6 year old nephew in mid-July. It took several hours, but it was well worth the time. As you enter you can see an indoor area (with air-conditioning!) and then an outside area where you can see sharks. Buy one of the sand buckets so that you kids can search the sand for sharks teeth. They have it set up like a gold-panning area with archeology screens to sift out the sand. My nephew loved it and we came home with tons of sharks teeth. There is a nice little cafe and a gift shop with reasonably priced items. Then you will cross the street and go to an area that has manatees, sea turtles and dolphins and another smaller gift shop. We had a great time.

Leicestershire
4 attraction reviews
“An afternoon's excursion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

We travelled to Sarasota to this aquarium and we seemed to get through it very quickly. Loved the jellyfish and the sea horses, there are a vast array of exhibits to see.

For me the best part of the day was seeing the 'Unconditional Surrender' sculpture on the way to the aquarium - loved it!

Wallingford, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
“Visit to Mote Aquarium& EcoBoat Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Fantastic! The boat tour was on a pontoon boat. Excellent! Kids had a great time checking out our "catch"! Nice boat ride (well-informed workers!)! Then we visited the Aquarium! The combo ticket was so worth it (We had also found a $2 off per person ticket so our family of 5 saved $10!). The kids had a ball! Aquarium was so nice! Very interesting and different fish! Don't forget to go across the street to check out the second part of the aquarium! Bring snacks for the kids or go right after you've had breakfast! (They do have snacks at the aquarium as well.)This should be tops on a list to visit Sarasota!