“Relaxed and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 126 things to do in Sarasota
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Dining
More attraction details
Owner description: An Old Florida attraction since 1939, Sarasota Jungle Gardens allows visitors to experience things you won't find anywhere else. Feed free-roaming flamingos, watch parrots ride bicycles, catch lemurs at play, stare down a vulture, or pet a skunk. Be sure to visit the Flamingo Cafe for a refreshing lunch or snack. Enjoy one or more of our acclaimed animal shows. Annual events include Holiday Lights, select nights in December, and Jungle Trails and Bunny Tails, every year on Good Friday.
south carolina
“Relaxed and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I used to work at the gardens as a contracted security officer and I can assure you that the care and attention provided by the handlers is top notch. The girls working there love the animals. I remember them transferring the animals to a safe location in the hours preceding an incoming hurricane. they were there on their own time taking care of the animals when most people in town were taking care of their homes.
I watched these dedicated people cry when, on occasion, one of the animals died or had to be euthanized. These wonderful girls are dedicated and they love the animals and what they do.
The gardens are great and the shows are enjoyable. And all of it is expensive to maintain. At $15 ($14 with an online coupon) it is a GREAT value. Think what a 2 hour movie costs to get in and you'll know what I mean.
If you visit, and I hope you will, You will have a pleasant day, in a beautiful setting, with kind, caring people, and wonderful animals.

I'll be returning there next week on vacation.

Bill in S.C.

england
12 attraction reviews
“Not a san diego but compact zoo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Just come back from a week in long boat key so we went here for a day. Its by no means massive and ther animals are far and few between but the grounds are nice and the animals look well cared for. More of a kid petting zoo than anything else. My son was able to hold a alligator ( only a small one) and a parrott. You can also fee the flamingo's which is fun. Ever been chased by a flamingo !!!. Also the parrott by the reception makes some fun noises. Try and imagine which ones.

Comstock Park, Michigan
“Quaint and delightful!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Having read the previous reviews, I knew not to expect too much when visiting the Sarasota Jungle Gardens. Going into the gardens with that in mind, I was very pleasantly surprised and enjoyed myself tremendously. The park is not manicured like Disney World, but in its own way, it is a gem. We paid $15 per adult ticket and $1.30 for a bag of food to feed the flamingos. I think we got three hours of fun for our money.

The exotic birds steal the show. If their colors don't get your attention, their squawking will! They are very vocal. There are plenty of opportunities to photograph the birds up close. We saw one show, "Birds of Prey." We were hoping to see the hawks, but today's show introduced us to owls. The short show was informative and the animal handler was very good about answering questions from the audience.

The gardens were so/so. I felt it would have enhanced the experience if more of the specimens had been labeled and identified.

The best part of the day for me was feeding the flamingos. There are dozens of them. The very tall, gentle birds will gently eat the food offered from your outstretched palm. I giggled, laughed and grinned throughout the whole experience. I loved it!! To me, that alone was worth the price of admission.

There is a concession stand, alligators, turtles and other exhibits. We did not go into the reptile house as my husband...big guy that he is...is deathly afraid of snakes.

Three hours is enough to see the park. You may need four hours if you wish to take in all the shows. Sarasota Jungle Gardens is quaint and delightful and, for me, feeding the flamingos was a memory worth making!

Davenport, Iowa
5 attraction reviews
“WASTE OF MONEY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

What a huge waste of money - the amount they charge to get in I would spend that money and go to a major attraction. It was cold while we were there so the birds were not out - only the Flamingos and thier "feeder" was broken so they were basically swarming people for food, but there wasn't any! There were snakes, a couple alligators, a couple lemurs, and plants and the flamingos and that was it. They charged $10 for my 4 year old, $17 for my hubby and I (EACH) and $15 for my Senior Citizen Mother in law. The only part my child liked was the play ground, I could have taken him to a park for free.

Long Island, NY
“A Perfect Way To Spend a Day With Young Children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

We had a wonderful day at Sarasota Jungle Gardens with the whole family. My children (2 and 5) had a fantastic time seeing the animals and enjoying the park. Definitely walkable, even for the younger ones. The grounds were beautifully kept and the animals seemed well-cared for. We went to three different shows, all were well-done and appropriate length for the kids. Staff was well-educated and friendly. Really, no complaints at all, except the food from the cafe wasn't great (but reasonably priced!) Next time we'll probably pack a lunch for the picnic area. All in all a great park for families with young kids and I know we'll be back!