“Nice.. But the LOUD air conditioners!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sarasota Sands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Sarasota Sands
You added Sarasota Sands to your Saves list
2150 Benjamin Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
New York City, New York
“Nice.. But the LOUD air conditioners!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Firstly, We enjoyed our stay.. We were timeshare "guests" staying in a studio... VERY COZY (small... 300sq feet).. it was nice to have a fridge ,microwave and sink!!

The resort is very very clean and well kept.

The air conditioner was soooo loud that we couldn't wait to get home for a good night sleep. They know about the problem.. and said it can't be fixed!!??

Loved Lido Key and being near St. Armand Circle..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This is an older, recently remodeled condo that is right on the Gulf of Mexico. Refrigerators and stoves or microwaves in all rooms. Unbelievable location!!! Staff is very professional and helpful. Nice pool, hot tub and game room. Washers and dryers available.

• Stayed September 2013
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I just got back from my third stay at this resort!! Older, smaller resort, nothing fancy, but always spotlessly clean, grounds are well cared for, and they are making improvements all the time. I trade in with timeshare points, 2011 & 2012 had two units for a week, was so sad to leave in 2012 that I booked two units for TWO weeks this year! I used to live in Florida so have friends that come & hang out/stay with me. Loved the two weeks, but to continue two units for two weeks, it would take up all my timeshare points, so bought a couple timeshare units this year!! There are people who come back year after year & I'm starting to get to know some of them.

The unit changes for my second week went very smoothly, you don't need to move out of your first unit until the second unit is ready. When it was ready, they gave me a call (on the beach!) and we just came up & moved.

I've visited Timeshare resorts for years now & they are the only place I have ever been in that offers a daily towel exchange, I am not wasteful, but it is nice to be able to get fresh towels (especially when I'm expecting new visitors).

I've always found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my chats with Wendy.

My favorite thing is the BEACH! Just beautiful, they have loungers up near the buildings, but I call Beach Cabana Boys & rent a cabana for my time there. Nice to have a meeting point, great for hiding from the sun/wind & just really comfortable. http://beachcabanaboys.com/ So worth the $$.

The Game Room is fun when my friends with kids are visiting, but good for adults too. Very nice pool and on a rainy night I even went into the jacuzzi for a quiet soak! I liked the little gift shop & would wander over to it every afternoon to get an ice cream bar!

The beach is so beautiful & the location at the end of Lido Key next to the Park is great! My visit goes over Memorial Day weekends, but besides that Sunday & Monday, traffic isn't too bad & they are very diligent keeping cars out of the parking lot that don't belong there. If there is traffic, check out a map of the key, when you cross onto St. Armands Key, don't go around the Circle, make the first left right before the circle onto Washington, then take a left on Boulevard of the Presidents & it will take you all the way down to Ben Franklin, take the left & you will cut out most congestion there.

Some fun restaurants up on St. Armand's Circle, Daiquiri Deck, Blue Dophin for Breakfast & the Columbia for the best Black Bean Soup on the Planet--their Champagne Sangria is amazing too! Drive out Longboat Key & take the right towards Mote Marine to the Salty Dog! Love that place too! Publix out on Longboat Key for any other needs. Dino's delivers Pizza right to your unit.

But there's also grills that we used for the first time this year, portobello-veggie kabobs! For $6 you can buy a bag of charcoal in the Gift Shop & you just light the bag itself. Was really fun, was raining a bit, but we just hid under the tiki umbrella while cooking/eating!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The unit that we stayed in was a last-minute book. So, all we could get was a studio that had a queen bed and a couch. There was a very small kitchenette. The TV was also small (~25 inches) hanging in the corner of the room. It was really too small to see, that far away. And, every time the air conditioner came on, it drowned-out the TV sound. Now . . . the good stuff: The beach was one of the best we've been on. The pool was nice. They have a very nice activities room, a small exercise room and an indoor hot tub and sauna. The resort is at the very south end of Lido Key Beach, so it's very secluded. I did get a chance to see another one-bedroom unit, and it was very nice. A lot of the other guests were timeshare owners and were very friendly. The grounds were well-kept and everything had a fresh coat of paint on it. There are shuffleboard courts, a basketball hoop and several grills that anyone can use. Plenty of chairs by the pool and several right next to the beach. You can also rent cabanas for a daily or weekly fee. The units are well-stocked with kitchen utensils and if they don't have it in the room, you can borrow it from the office. The tennis court was like brand new. All the eating establishments are driving distance. Most of the ones that we went to were on the mainland (only ten minutes drive)..This was a very enjoyable place to stay and all-in-all a great vacation.

Room Tip: The studios are very small, so try to get, at least, a one bedroom unit, even for two people. There...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Haslett, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Great family place. Quiet beach area with plenty of Shells everywhere. Comfy rooms with kitchenette. Grill area. Friendly staff. we rented a cabana for a week which added to the beach enjoyment. We love it here.

• Stayed November 2012
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have been going to the Sands for my entire life and can't imagine staying anywhere else. Everyone is always friendly, and each time we go back it's so hard to leave. It is like a second home and we love it! Heading there tomorrow, can't wait to see what's new from the last visit in 2010! Only thing I wish was that our unit had 2 bedrooms so we didn't have to sleep on a pull out couch in the living room or on two separate sofas in the 'adjacent' room since my parents get the regular bed!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC Metro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We've visited Sarasota Sands 18 times in the last 23 years, but this was our first visit back in the last 5. The resort is located at the very end of Lido key, the last hotel before South Lido Park. It is literally right on the beach, and depending on the unit you rent, you are barely steps away from the Gulf of Mexico and beautiful white sand. The resort is not new, it is made up of several converted hotels. So, while is isn't fancy, it is comfortable, clean, and a good value.
This is a timeshare property, so many guests are regulars that have gone there for years. It's apparent that the management has changed for the better since our last visit. Updated appliances and tvs in the units, more guest interactive activities (such as coffee groups, catered "lunch" -burgers & dogs w/chips & sodas- twice a week). The office and grounds staff have improved over the prior staff, and were a pleasure to deal with. The resort has a game room on the top floor of the end building with a pool table, foosball, board games, and pinball machines. There is a small workout room on the ground floor with an eliptical machine, treadmill, and free weights. There is also a suana and hot tub room on the ground floor of the end building. One nice change from prior years; anybody with a room key could get into those rooms, resulting in unattended kids using them. Now you have to request a key at the front desk, which helps keep that problem down to a minimum annoyance.
Here's a few recommendations based on our multiple experiences with this resort:
Look at the resort map before booking if possible. Units near the pool can be very loud due to the activity at the pool up to 10pm. The closer you can get to the beach, the quieter your stay will be.
Unless you absolutely have to get one of the efficiency units, don't. They are extremely small with minimal appliances (dorm size fridge/two burner cooktop).
Be prepared to buy bottled water, the taste of tap water may not be to your liking. But, you can refill a gallon water jug at a special filtered water fountain in the sauna room, so get at least one at the grocery store when you shop.
Speaking of shopping: the grocery stores are not close and are very crowded on Saturdays and Sundays.
St Armands Circle is a short drive (or longish bike ride) away. There are terrific resturants and shops there. Can get very crowded, but great for people watching from a sidewalk cafe table.
After having been away for 5 years, we were very pleased with our stay. We will not wait 5 years to go to Sarasota Sands again!

Room Tip: Units in the Dockside and end of the Sailmaster buildings are the best for more quiet evenings.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Lido Beach Resort
Lido Beach Resort
#26 of 46 in Sarasota
4.0 of 5 stars 1,103 reviews

Been to Sarasota Sands? Share your experiences!