“A very enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Knoxville, Tennessee
“A very enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This hotel is great for the couple or family that wants to stay at the beach and have everything easy and close by. As with everything in the Destin/30a area, we like the off season. The rooms are well appointed and the staff is great. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed in room 409. It was a fantastic experience. We brought along an infant and the room was big enough for all of three of us....Every night we sat on the balcony and watched the sun set with a glass of wine from a bottle that we bought from the wine store across the street. It was beautiful. Also, in the mornings we would walk down to Seaside and grab coffee. Likewise for lunch and dinner. Perfect location. The only reason I say "almost perfect" is that I thought the room service menu was lacking in the non breakfast department and there were a few times that I called down to the front desk and no one answered. However, it was like island time, you just roll with. The pool, the beach, the staff, the room were all exceptional and we will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Higher room gets you a better view. Floors 3-4 will give you ocean views.
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I don't have anything to add about the beach--white sand, crystal blue water, attentive life guards, and friendly people. We had a great vacation, and one of the reasons was that we stayed in a house by the Camp. At night, the soccer field comes alive with kids and families playing soccer, volleyball, frisbee, and we even had a great fun game of duck duck goose. Unless you stay in the actual Inn, you are going to have to ride your bicycle to the beach, so we were happy to have the advantage of that beautiful grass field. It felt old-fashion--everyone coming out and meeting new people and kids of all ages playing massive games of soccer. So my tip--if you are looking for a house, consider one by the Kids Camp pool.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
AmberLetoMayer, General Manager at WaterColor Inn and Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at WaterColor! We hope to host your beach vacation for many years to come. If there is anything that we can do to assist you with your future plans, please let us know.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Watercolor for several days this past April. What a beautiful property and an overall great resort experience. The staff members, from check-in to the wait staff at the pool bar/grill, were friendly and attentive. They were able to accommodate several special requests with ease.

The hotel rooms were spacious and all are beach-front. I was able to stay on the 4th floor, so I had amazing views of the sunset during my stay. The rooms and clean and well-maintained.

I also loved the coziness of the library, which is located off of the lobby. I enjoyed a glass of wine and a good book one rainy afternoon... The wine and cocktail menus were unique and offered something for everyone.

Overall, I was very pleased with my experience at Watercolor. There are a multitude of activities to participate in daily, easy access to the beach and several pools, and lots of great shops, restaurants and bars nearby. I only wish I had had more time to explore the area via bike (which are provided for each guest). I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at WaterColor Inn & Resort! We are so glad that you were able to enjoy the library and find some time to relax at the resort. If there is anything that we can do to assist you with your future beach vacation plans, please let us know.
Richmond, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

It is very seldom that we leave a vacation after a full week and think to ourselves that we just want to stay longer. This place makes you never want to leave. The staff is great and the resort is the best. Stay on the 4th floor, the view is great.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor if possible. More expensive but worth it.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We just got back from a week at WaterColor and had the perfect experience. We rented a house in Watercolor for me and my husband and 7 teenagers. We started off the week by renting bikes for everyone from the Bike Barn (WC guests receive 25% off). That was great because then the kids had just enough freedom. They were able to go to WaterColor and Seaside communities and their beaches on their own schedule. Nothing is open too late so they never got in any trouble. We never had a worry about safety - everyone rides bikes there and it's the preferred mode of transportation. We rented a house that had a carriage house in the back and we put 5 teenage girls back there - and all their mess! It was the perfect setup.

I wish WC had more restaurants. Most of their options closed at 5:00. I never did find the sushi place. The shops are cute but overpriced. My husband and I had a nice evening at the Wine Loft sitting outside listening to music and enjoying the weather. Overall, we would recommend WC, though. We loved it.

Room Tip: We rented a house on Lake District Lane. I wouldn't stay any further than that. The part over th...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family and I just returned from our July 4th stay at the Watercolor Inn & Resort. I think all of Texas was staying in Watercolor as we always sat next to people from Dallas (yay) and Houston (meh).

We stayed in room 207 and had a great view of the ocean and some of the dunes. The room was quite clean except for under the bathroom counters. I dropped a something and when I picked it up, there was a ton of other hair colors that collected on it. Gross! I know housekeeping is in a rush but for the $500/night we spent, I would expect it to be cleaner. The mattress was pretty bad but we are spoiled with a Tempurpedic mattress at home.

We really appreciated having a mini-fridge and not a mini-bar. With so many young kids and babies, having the fridge for milk and water was wonderful. We were able to go to Publix (about 10 min. drive due to all of the pedestrians crossing 30A in Seaside) and get a few groceries.

We attended the 4th of July picnic on the beach. Although the food was okay, sitting on a beach at sunset, and watching fireworks shoot off from a barge was awesome. Everybody enjoyed it. Although the boat that Watercolor was using to launch fireworks died, they found a way to convince Seaside to move theirs closer to our resort. AWESOME!

The beach. Granted it was a holiday weekend but I don't think I have ever sat THAT close to strangers. However, most of them were very nice. The cabana boys led us to our pre-reserved chairs (did this when we booked our hotel and highly recommend) and setup our umbrella for us. These guys work quite hard as they put up and take down these chairs every day. Giving them a couple of dollars will go a long way as they have to sit outside and deal with not-so-kind tourists.

PSA: If you want to play music while on the beach, please do not blast it. What you enjoy, the people around you may not like. Be respectful! We had one person set up speakers and blast her country music. However, we were trying to get my toddler to nap on the beach and sitting so close to them and loud music did not work.

Since we paid $150 for 2 chairs, we wanted to sit there for as long as possible. Unlike other resorts, you don't have to race down to the beach to grab a chair at 6 AM. Everybody took their time to get down to the beach and it was nice. It didn't get crowded until around lunch time. The ocean water was not always clear as there was June grass floating around. However, it really depended on the day. Our true highlight of our trip was seeing Dallas Cowboys Tight End, Jason Witten sitting 50 feet from us. Since we're from Dallas, we were excited to see a local celeb.

The food at the beach club was meh. Nothing special but very $$$$. I felt the Gathering Spot's food was a bit better, but I'm sure it was the same. I would highly recommend leaving the resort to take a 10 min walk/bike ride to Seaside. They have a ton of places to dine and people watch. We had our last dinner in 30A at Great Southern Cafe. It must be popular since it was the only place with a wait. There are a lot of cute shops for both kids and adults. I bought a few things for my son at Seaside Kids and Duckies.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and the staff was wonderful. If we had to wait more than 5-10 min for a drink, they would give it to us for free. However, I would recommend adding another person to the front desk or a mobile station OR direct general questions to reservations. We had to wait over 15 minutes for assistance and most of the time, the employees were on the phone.

I would say this is more for families during the busy season, as a ton of family reunions were going on. However, we did see a lot of couples there as well. If you don't mind being around young kids, then you will be fine.

Room Tip: If you want quiet at all hours, make sure you request a room away from the adult pool. Since we brou...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach
Residence Inn Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to WaterColor Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!