“oceanfront hotel located in "the resort"” 4 of 5 stars

WaterColor Inn and Resort
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   34 Goldenrod Circle, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“oceanfront hotel located in "the resort"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Between Panama City and Destin is a beautiful beachfront 2 lane road called 30A. Except for a couple of buildings built before the restriction, buildings are limited to no more than 4 stories. This area is called The Resort by people who vacation there. The whole area is beautiful beach cottages and condos with an old-fashioned family beach vacation ambience.
Watercolor Inn is the only oceanfront hotel in this area, and it is only 4 stories high, so you feel like you are staying in an intimate inn rather than a big hotel. Be sure to reserve the 4th story if you want a beautiful ocean and beach view. The decor is beach cottage rather than fancy. For example, each room has a spacious shower with 2 showerheads, but no bathtub. There is no chest of drawers; instead there are baskets in which to put your clothes.
We used to own a beachfront condo on 30A and had to sell when the economy went bad, so we enjoyed our July 4th weekend at Watercolor Inn. It was good to be back.
The fireworks were terrific.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the fourth floor. It is the only floor to have a view of the ocean and sand. Third...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
watercolorinn, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at WaterColor Inn and Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for the excellent review. We agree that the 4th of July fireworks were great this year. We were happy to have you as one of our guests and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We arrived on a Saturday and it was complete chaos. When we pulled up we sat in line for almost 20 minutes before being greeted by a staff member. I understand that at times people are busy but I really feel they were understaffed. Upon going to check in we were once again stuck in another line waiting. From there things started to change for the better. Raymond came from behind the desk and greeted us with some cold water and escorted us to an office where a nice gentleman checked us in and was absolutely wonderful. After we finished checking in a bellman had our luggage waiting to take us to our room. We came down after a couple of hours to find out dining options and Raymond went out of his way and made us reservations for Fish out of water last minute which is located on the 2nd floor of the hotel which is amazing. After a great meal we came down and a nice lady named Lisa called us a shuttle to take us to seaside for shopping. The next day we had a wonderful breakfast at the same place we had dinner the night before. We went and changed clothes and headed out for a bike ride which was nice even though it took about 10 minutes of waiting to get a bike. We came back and spent the remainder of the day at the beach which is beautiful! After a long day we enjoyed the sushi bar which is located in the lobby of the hotel before turning in for the night. The worst part was this was a short trip and we had to head home the next day. We would gladly return and look forward to doing so sometime soon. The staff from arrival to departure was very friendly and made us feel right at home. It was a nice break for us. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Plan on staying at least a week because there is so much to do!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We were pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the amenities during your recent stay. We appreciate your comments regarding the check in process, as we strive to improve our guest’s overall experience. Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we hope to see you again soon.
New Albany, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Can you believe that when you rent a condominum unit from a 4 star resort, that there would not be a clothing dresser in the master bedroom? Well Believe It! I was shocked to find out we had no where to unpack our suitcases. When I called the Front Desk, a very polite woman ask how she could direct my call, and I calmly told her that I had a complaint. I told her I was not going to waste any of her time and bullet pointed my concern: minutes after driving 14 hours to a 4 star resort, I had no place to unpack and that it was not acceptable to dress from our suitcases everyday! She took my cell number and said someone would call me back. After approximately, 10 minutes, I had not heard, so I called back. Same woman, told me that she had brought the issue to the manager on duty and she will let her know that I called again. 5 minutes later the Manager on Duty Rhianna called. She listened to my concern about living from my suitcase for a week. I told her I paid alot of $ to stay and requested another condo. I also brought to her attention that the unit's photos on their web site looked much different than what was in the unit. How was I to know that the angled picture of the bedroom hid the fact there was no dresser and that the bed was different...a headboard and mattress on a frame. She did not have another unit, but she would look for a dresser and if need be, she would purchase some type of storage unit. She would also have a staff member bring over hangers for tops. Management resolution: 3 plastic 3 drawer storage units were delivered and a staff member arrived with 2 arms full of wooden hangers. To my disappointment, I simply gave up and deceided to unpack small items and we lived out of our suitcases for the week. To 7/7/12 Dishonest Establishment -- I wish management would have offered me a resort credit of some type or discount on our unit rate..no such luck.
The bell staff was very friendly and helpful. The ladies who work for over the phone reservations where extremely polite and pleasant. Good service from the restaurant at the main pool. I wish I could remember her name, but the Hostess at the Fish Out of Water restaurant got us a great outdoor table just at sunset. Honestly, we would return, but encourage future visitors to call and question when was the last time management toured the condo unit you would like to rent and are the web site photos up to date.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
watercolorinn, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at WaterColor Inn and Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
We do appreciate your taking the time to write a review. We are very sorry to hear your stay in a vacation home at WaterColor Resort was not a positive experience. Every traveler has specific amenities they look forward to and we do our best to provide these for you. Each of our vacation homes is individually owned and the décor varies from unit to unit as it reflects the tastes of each owner. Our vacation rental team is constantly in touch with our homeowners with regards to the condition of the homes and furnishings. Sometimes our homeowners do choose to change or modify the décor of their vacation homes. Our apologies if you felt the picture of the master bedroom ‘hid’ a desired feature - it is our intent to provide an image of the interior of our homes with the best angle of the rooms to provide as much information as possible. Again, thank you for taking the time to comment on our property and we sincerely hope you will give us a second chance to earn your business.
Dacula, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My family stayed in a beautifully decorated 3 bedroom condo in Water Sound. The condo is beautiful looking and has a great view of the ocean. However, several things in the condo were broken and the kitchen did not have enough glasses, utensils, etc.. We checked in at WaterColor Inn and the person helping us gave me incorrect information on the property. We had to make several calls to management (not located on the property) to find the answers and get all of our maintenance issues resolved. Both of the guest bathroom tubs were clogged, the box spring in one room was broken, the air filter was overflowing with dust/dirt, the master bathroom had no hot water and the refrigerator wouldn't stay closed. I do understand things will break but there is no excuse for this many problems. It is clearly not managed by a responsible party. The WaterColor Inn staff is unfamiliar and untrained about Water Sound. We never received the same answer from anyone on staff. We were told we could not go to certain pools on the grounds and that no chairs were available to rent on the beach because they were sold out. Luckily, they were wrong again. We were able to go to the pools that we wanted to go to and we did find beach chairs. Water Sound is beautiful but very confusing with no one on the grounds to help with anything. I do not recommend this location because of the way it is mismanaged. The condo and beach are beautiful but it is not worth the frustration we encountered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. We are sincerely sorry for the maintenance issues that you encountered during your stay at WaterSound Beach and we apologize for the misunderstanding about the access to pools and beach chairs. At WaterSound, the beachchairs are available through the private WaterSound BeachClub, there are no advance reservations available as they are on a first come, first serve availability. Also, because the WaterSound BeachClub is a member’s only club, occasionally there are days when the BeachClub is closed to rental guests for private member events. Our staff makes an effort to convey this information to our WaterSound guests when these closures may occur during their stay.
Your comments will certainly be taken into consideration as we look forward to making the guest experience more enjoyable.
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Paid over 400 a night for a wonderful room and went to look at the beach the night I arriveed. Gorgeous! Imagine my surprise when I was told the next day I couldn't have a chair as they had all been reserved up to 6 months in advance! Also told I couldn't put a towel down and sit because the beach directly in front of the room was only for chairs. Honestly I couldn't believe my ears! based on this policy alone I would not recommend this place to anyone.

I slept on a pullout couch that had a lumpy thin mattress and when I asked for another one the desk staff told me to put a blanket on it. Also the ceiling fan didn't work we could not change the speed as the chain had been pulled off. Was told by front desk it would be replaced but it never happened.

Food was good but dining room noisy, Adult pool nice.

It was interesting to say the least....thanks but no thanks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
We do appreciate your taking the time to write a review. At WaterColor, we have a beach chair rental system so that only those that wish to use this amenity pay for this service and this is customary in the Northwest Florida area. Our guests can reserve beach chairs advance and very often the available chairs do sell out. It’s is our policy ask that guests not renting chairs to please not place their personal chairs in front of our rental chairs as other guests have rented with us - we do have a large section of our beach in front of the BeachClub where we allow guests to place their own chairs and umbrellas.
It is our commitment to offer a quality experience at all of our amenities including the beaches, pools and restaurants and we thank you for your comments to help us improve our services for future guests.
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Coming from Canada, it was quite difficult to get to; however, upon arrival the long journey was quickly forgotten. Beautiful beaches and ammenities - loved the bicycles!!! Great food and shops in Seaside. Close to great local food - fresh fish sold everywhere! Looking fwd to returning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I booked a vacation at the hotel for my family several months ago and paid the appropriate deposit to have a 4th floor hotel room. Because we only had a few days away from work, I wanted the trip to be special and I wanted the best beach view possible. On the day of our arrival, I called to confirm our room because we would be arriving quite late. I was told the room was all set and not to worry what time we arrived. When we did arrive, the front desk clerk checked us into a 3rd floor room and didn't even tell me we had been downgraded. When I asked, the night manager told me it was too bad but they didn't have my reserved room available. She did give us a resort credit but I felt like we had been cheated. We were told that the property manager Patrick would contact us the next day and he never contacted us the whole stay. Then to add insult to injury, on our last day, the bill arrived and we had been charged the more expensive rate for a 4th floor room for 3 of the 4 nights we were there despite the fact that we never did get into the room class that we had booked.
The hotel itself is nice, and the location is great.
The rooms are a little beach casual to pay over $400 per night.
The beach chair situation is a scam - $30 per day and there were no chairs available for 2 of the 3 days we were there.
The food was good.
The bell staff was very nice and helpful
But the biggest problem is that they are not honest.
There are many options in the gulf, and next time we will choose to stay at a place where we get what we pay for.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at WaterColor Inn and Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. I am sincerely sorry for the issues that you encountered while at WaterColor. During July, WaterColor Resort does experience very high demand. This demand created an oversold situation during your stay which resulted in your reservation being moved to the 3rd floor instead of the requested 4th floor. Although you were offered a resort credit, we do understand as you stated, “it was not what your family expected”.

I will not offer an excuse as your issue should not have happened regardless of the holiday occupancy levels, we could have communicated and perhaps resolved this issue with you in a better way.

Please accept our sincere apology.

Been to WaterColor Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!