“Pretty nice for the area” 4 of 5 stars

You added A Highlands House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
A Highlands House Bed and Breakfast
4193 West Scenic Highway 30A, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459   |
Birmingham, AL
“Pretty nice for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

Just returned from this property where we stayed for one night. Overall, it was very nice. The room was somwehat small but comfortable. Bed was very comfortable and it had a nice bathroom. We only had a tiny TV that got exactly 0 channels, but otherwise, no complaints. Breakfast was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Close access to the beach, though many of the rooms do not have a view (extra charge).
I thought the price was a little steep, but I imagine most places in the area run near this price or higher.

• Stayed April 2008

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wonderful Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Highlands House Bed and Breakfast in February 2008. It was an outstanding experience. We have stayed at many other places but we rate this one the best. The room was very neat and clean. The yard and access to the beach was wonderful. Last but not least was the breakfast. It was fantastic. The Manager treated us like royalty. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed February 2008
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

The Highlands House was a great getaway. It is in a wonderful location as well; close to shops, parks, night life and the beach. Cheryl (property manager) is such a gem to work with. She was overly accommodating and has a wonderful personality not to mention a stupendous cook. My favorite was the French toast. We are somewhat locals and just needed to get a way, relax and have a good time; to say the least we did just that with the help of Cheryl and the Highlands House. We hope to return to return in the near future. Thanks a million!

• Liked — The view of the beach and the customer service!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

Be careful, the website if misleading. I have to give it to the Highlands House for having a great web designer because the actual property is a lot less impressive. Living nearby, we were hoping for a nice off-season experience. For the average price of $150-200/night, we expected a lot more. Do not stay in the Driftwood room! It is the closest to the road, barely has enough room for 2 people, has very little or no insulation (cold at night), and has no TV. Of course, it looks much bigger on the website. After requesting an upgrade, we found burnt out light bulbs, clogged bath sinks, and a tiny TV in our next room. The breakfast was passable as far as bed and breakfasts go. In the on-season, this place would be a great deal, however, we stayed during the off-season, and the price definitely is not on par to what you could get at the Sandestin or other resorts this time of year. That being said, the pickings are slim for accommodations for less than 3 nights on Santa Rosa Beach.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The accommodation
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Navywife22
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

I think the previous reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. I think A Highlands House is a perfect example of everything a Bed and Breakfast should be. It was comfortable, well-decorated, cozy, and immaculately clean. The bed was heavenly, I slept like a baby. The food was excellent and the service very friendly. I am 24, and do not make that much money, but I feel the price was fair considering all the ammenities. I think people have lost the concept of what a B&B is, -you get a BED... and BREAKFAST! The idea is for it to be a home away from home, where you can come and go as you please, and basically take care of yourself. Frankly I found it refreshing to have a lovely little place to stay and not be "Checked on" or hovered over by the staff all weekend. Just because everything else in the Santa Rosa are is snooty and swarming with people who have more money than they know what to do with... does not mean that a Bed and Breakfast in the area needs to be a miniature Ritz Carlton. If you want a resort where you're waited upon hand and foot, stay at the San Destin. If you want a cozy and simple place to relax and do as you please, I highly recommend A Highlands House.

• Liked — It embodied my idea of "seaside bed & breakfast" with a touch of romance
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

This is the second time we stayed at this B&B. It had been about 4 years and there were new owners. We go to this area of Florida at least once a year. We chose to return to this particular B&B because we wanted a room with 2 beds since we were taking family along. The whole experience was a night mare. I was showed where the laundry room was in order to get my own new towels. Breakfast the first morning was awful...the microwave pancakes where cold rubber saucers...there were flies everywhere...the eggs were no good. The last time we had stayed at this place the breakfast was GREAT. We arrived on a Sunday and they had had a wedding that weekend. It took them the next 3 days to removed the tents and furniture for the front lawn...they were blocking our view of the beach and we had to walk around them to go to the beach each day!! We were truly disappointed in the whole experience. We paid for our own breakfast the rest of the week because theirs was so awful

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2004

This seems to be the motto of this b&b. Don't get me wrong: The house itself is beautiful, the rooms are nicely decorated and light and bright. The beach is a perfect dream, although the house is not directly at the beach (an impression their homepage might give) but easily accessible on a boardwalk. The real problem is a very different one. During my three week's roundtrip through the South (and all my previous USA trips) this was the only place ever, where an agreed 10 percent AAA discount, contracted in writing months ago, was not honoured. The suggested solution to the problem by the property manager: "I am sorry, but you do not have to stay here. Feel free to stay elsewhere." At breakfast (which was delicious, no doubt) no free seats were available. The property manager: "I am sorry, but feel free to take a tray and eat upstairs". Such treatment never happened to me before (and after) in the USA, and I would certainly not expect this in a house where the night is $200. Not to mention that we could not use the porch and chairs outside our room (which increased the room rate by $20) because they were constantly occupied be people from cheaper rooms without porch. Conclusion: A beautiful place, however, with a questionable price-performance ratio and a definitely intolerable management approach. One final piece of advice: Be cautious with your rate arrangement - what you get is not always what you saw!

Been to A Highlands House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!