“The Best of Both Worlds” 5 of 5 stars

Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4819 Trade Winds Drive, Sanibel Island, FL 33957   |
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Delray Beach, Florida
“The Best of Both Worlds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I had a wonderful stay at Tropical Winds September 13-16, 2012.

There are many, many reasons for this. I'll name a few.

• The units are right on the beach. They are clean and roomy. The kitchen is fully equipped.
• Dogs are allowed.
• There's a swimming pool.
• I feel safe and comfortable at Tropical Winds.
• Cable TV and Wi-Fi are included at no extra charge.
• The staff are very friendly and accommodating.

I like it there. I come to Tropical Winds for the peace and quiet of the island. The beach is secluded.
But just a short drive brings me to the shops, restaurants and attractions. I get the best of both worlds
at Tropical Winds. That's why I've been coming here for over 25 years.

Thanks again for a great stay. See you next year!

Caroline Brodersen

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
fla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Sue and Joe are the innkeepers really great people..we had a cottage near the ocean and we had our two little dogs they loved the water. I don't want to say anything bad about the cottages because the innkeepers were great and they are new to the property, so my review has nothing to do with then it is the people who own the place.
It is so outdated the furniture is old and looks dirty. the bathroom toilet would not flush without lifting the lid, needs all new parts, and the one thing that was the worst to me was at night I woke up to feel a roach in bed with me, and that was it for me I am from fla and I know about bugs but that was too much for me.. and at night we could not sit on the patio bugs all over.. the place needs a really good updating job and a really good spray job.. sure hope the owners give sue and Joe some help to update and clean up the bug problem.. and also feel the price after I got there was so over priced for what we got..so pretty upset about that..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Troy, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The best place I have stayed on Sanibel, I wish I would have found this sooner. If you want a nice private , secluded stay this is the place. I cannot say enough of how much I enjoyed my stay here. We stayed in the effciency room 8 and loved it. Perfect get away for two. Pool was also nice as well as beach. I will be comeing back here again . Clean, quiet and private , what more could you want for a vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from our stay here with our dog. Our dog has NEVER had problems with fleas (He is on Frontline Plus, and gets his dosage regularly) but after staying in the dirty beach unit we returned home to find our dog with FLEAS, not to mention my poor boyfriend is COVERED in flea bites! I did not plan on ending my vacation by having to give my dog a flea bath, vacuuming my apt, and washing everything my dog came in contact with in an attempt to make sure any eggs never hatch. For $200/night THERE SHOULD BE NO FLEAS, the furniture should have been clean, the comforters are gross, and our shower curtain and bathroom ceiling had mold on it... They don't clean the units! The units are way further from the beach than you think, absolutely NOT "300 ft" from any unit. Our dog even found a gross, chewed up dog toy left behind... how throughly could they be cleaning these units? We will never be back.

Room Tip: Don't go, and definitely don't bring your dog.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had viewed these cottages on line and thought all had screened in porches. Not #5. When we did try to venture outside, our porch was right up against our neighbor's screened in porch and made it uncomfortable to be out there when they were playing board games or eating.
Also, what made this cottage unbearable was a skylight right over the bed. I first thought it was an electrical light and looked all over for the switch. Having started our vacation drive very early that morning we wanted to take an afternoon nap. There was no way to cover the skylight!
Even when it rained it was too bright. No sleeping past 7:00 AM either.
Another issue was that these cottages were a very far walk to the beach.
In the past we had stayed at Blue Dolphin Inn. I expected Tropical Winds to be about the same.
It was not. We won't be back. Also, bring repellant for the sand flies!

Room Tip: Do not choose cottage #5! No screened in porch!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Deerfield Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We booked a beach unit for an overnight and were delighted with our room and access to the beach! While I wouldn't call it fancy, it was certainly cozy, clean, and fully met our needs.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom and found it to be perfect for cooking our meals (both indoor and outdoors) and sleeping comfortably. We really enjoyed the screened in porch after a day at the beach and brought board games to play well into the evening.

The beach is lovely and just a few steps away. We also noticed that the property is very dog friendly which could be a deciding factor for folks evaluating. We don't have dogs, but we know people who do and they are always looking for great places to stay with their pets.

Room Tip: Room 10 is closest to the ocean. The cottages are only a short walk away.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Thanks to Ellen and Isaac, my sister and I had a wonderful 2 days with our dog. We were late in booking a short getaway and Ellen went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. Even though we had to move to another cottage for the 2nd day of our stay, the staff made the move very easy for us. The cottages are a short walk to the beautiful secluded beach. They have chairs and umbrellas available for guests use at all times, so no need to bring beach furniture. (We wish we had known that in advance because we brought too much stuff). The pool was very nice and the cottages are clean. We were pleasantly surprised to find out how accomodating everyone in Sanibel was to our little Pomeranian puppy. He was welcomed almost everywhere, including the patios of the resturants we visited (of course, he is cute and well-behaved). Eating at the Island Cow and a visit to the John "Ding" Darling Wildlife Preserve were definitely highlights of the visit to Sanibel. Thanks for the very pleasant respite from the concrete and traffic of Miami!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!