“You must stay here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Sanibel Island B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“You must stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

YOU MUST STAY HERE! We stayed in the pitch roof cottages and they're so cute! There are two bedrooms - one upstairs overlooking the living room and there's a full kitchen too.
We were going to move on the 2nd night but the owner offered for us to stay in the cottage for the same price as the smaller rooms. She was really helpful and an easy going happy person. We both felt very relaxed here - there's a river at the back and the whole place is in a really pretty, peaceful setting.
It's in a great location for restaurants and traveling around the island - it's not far from the beach at all.
We hired bikes from the hotel and enjoyed the sunsets from the various beaches. At the end of our stay we were told there was no charge for the bikes as she was pleased we had fun!
I would definitely recommend staying here for your visit to Sanibel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Warm Springs, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

stayed here 3rd week of october, 2012. very nice and clean. nice pool area and bbq grills available. stayed in the A-frame cabins, has every thing for preparing meals. full kitchen, all utensils, cookware, and dishes provided. plenty of towels with clean ones provided each day. Cabin had 2 bedrooms, sleeper sofa, 2 TV's, walk in shower. Great location for beaches, 2 grocery stores nearby for supplies. Can walk to beach in 10 minutes or so. will be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here at this Old Florida hotel. I'm a middle aged women who traveled alone on this trip and just wanted a no frills safe, hotel. This was exactly what I got. My room 16, was very large and immaculately clean and quiet. I never heard a sound from other visitors any time I was there. It rained two of the nights and since this is a one story hotel, you could hear the rain coming down. Some people might not like that, but it reminded me of camping and it felt very homey. Just so you know, there is soap in the rooms but not shampoo or conditioner. There is a coffee maker and a one day supply of coffee. You will need to buy small Mr. Coffee filters if you want to make your own,. There was a dorm size fridge with a small freezer that froze water over night. Also, for my four day stay, I was told that housekeeping would not come in the room but that I could leave out towels and trash daily. The pool was warm and clean. It is in the middle of the parking area and close to the street but it is well camoflauged and I was not bothered by road noise as at. The view outside my room was a "nature pond" which was very pretty. The bathroom is small, and in my room there was only a shower, but again very clean and servicable. There are bikes available to rent, chargoal grills and laundry on site. The only trouble I had was that my airmconditioner broke down while I was there so since I had packed up, I left a day early. They did offer to give me another room and I free dinner at a local establishmnet for my trouble. I had a rental car so took the car to the a different beach each day. I would not recommend walking since you will be salty for the walk back. In this location you are right on Periwinkle so you are close to shipping but not the beach.
I would like to mention that being a rainy fall, the no see ums were horrific so keep this in mind if you go to the beach. I found them worst at sunrise and sunset. I used deet and skin so soft bu they still bit. I would recommend not going out at these times. In spite of the trouble with the air conditioner, which will be a funny story to tell, I would defintely stay here again when I want escape the weather at home and every day life. I would recommend it for families with young children, people staying with pets or solo, but not for familites with teens or young adults looking for night life or a pool scene.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I (and my Yorkie and Mini-Shnauzer) stayed at the Anchor Inn and Cottages for five days back in July. Overall it was a really good stay. We had a room with two double beds and so we had PLENTY of space. I was actually surprised at how spacious the room was for two people and two dogs. I'd say only about half the tenants had dogs so we didn't feel like we were staying at a zoo. The location is pretty good...you can walk to a nearby beach and it takes about 15 minutes. I'd recommend driving though. There are also a couple of good restaurants nearby in case you don't feel like fighting the island's slow driving speeds. There are some games around the property like shuffle board and this ring thing on a string. We didn't use the pool but it looked very nice and people were in it often.

The front office provides pet waste bags, but they were a little stingy with them so I'd suggest bringing your own. There was no basic icebox/freezer in the fridge. The fridge was pretty tiny, which was fine, but it would have been nice to have a tiny freezer to put freezer packs in. Also, the WiFi was really weak. We were about halfway down from the office and could barely get a signal on the iPad. Half the time I couldn't even get a signal and when I could it was soooo slow. I would return to this hotel since it was such a great value...and it was very clean and spacious.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasantville, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had stayed at here in 2009 and we enjoyed our stay then. The only bad thing I could say of my stay back then that there were always baby ants in the kichen but I could deal with that. This was not the case this time.
We stayed there for 2 days in August 2012. It was supposed to be 3. I paid for 3 but could not stay any longer. When we walked in there were dead milipedes on the carpet floor in the bedroom and the loft that we had to clean up. I was surprised we did not have any little ants in the kitchen. On the 1st night i noticed baby cockroaches crawling in the sink and on the counter. I saw them again on the 2nd night . They seemed to only come out at night. I wondered where the big ones were. Where there are babies there is usually some adult ones too. There was a space on the floor where the door closes and ants were always coming from under the door. We decided to just head out after staying 2 nights and head for our next location at Orlando. When we arrived at our hotel in Orlando I pulled out my toiletries case to get ready to go out and as I looked thru the clear plastic of the bag there was a roach crawling around in it. I had carried it with me from Anchor Inn. I will never go there again. They need some exterminating. The property also has a very bad problem with the baby ants. They were all over the property and crawling up and down the outside of the doors and the floors at the pool and parking area. We found several baby ants had come to be living in my minivan from being parked in the lot. So by the time I got home I washed every single thing I travelled with (even the clean clothes afraid to bring roaches into my house) Every single bag got checked along with every single item brought in. The van needed major vacuuming and cleaning to get the ants out. I realize this part of Florida has ants but it can be controlled with some exterminating. The only thing not negative I can say is the bedding and sheets seemed to be very clean and the kids loved the pool. I love Sanibel Island and will go back but never to Anchor Inn again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AnchorInnandcottages, Guest Relations Manager at Anchor Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I would like that start out by saying that we are glad you enjoyed your first stay with us. August is a slow time for us and it is the start of our heavy rainy season. This rain floods all insects out of their homes and in search of a new place to live. With it being our slow season, many of the rooms go vacant longer than we would like which means a longer time in-between room inspections. Yesterday after reading your complaint I visited all of the rooms at Anchor Inn and Cottages to do a full inspection and was very pleased at the cleanliness and freshness of the entire property, see new photos posted above. I did find sugar ants in one unit near the toaster outlet and made it know that regardless of the time between check-ins all rooms need to be inspected for our next guest just prior to arrival. The Anchor Inn exterminates sugar ants with liquid ant bait which needs to be left out in the general area where the ants appear. General bug extermination is done on routine at Anchor Inn and you can always request documentation of that fact during your stay. Palmettos do come up out of ground level sinks in the rainy season and even second level dwellings can experience the occasional bug as they do fly an can enter through an open door. They are fond of makeup, paper products and kitchen garbage. The exterminators put the bug poison in the rooms so that as they appear they to do not inhabit but instead die. Management does need to be and will be more diligent to inspect shut up rooms prior to guest arrival and they have been reminded. Please remember to always point out your concerns to the front desk as soon as possible as much of this situation could have been avoided if the management would have know about the issues while you were there.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

A great find-prices were wonderful for summer-room was perfect for us and our small dog and on end-best part we thought was that room was super clean and had 2 bathrooms which is great when you go to beach so you don't have to wait for spouse. Bed was a little firm for our taste-but overall it was a nice room size and location, also has very nice pool and grills with picnic tables and a cleaning station. The only thing that annoyed us is that the smaller rooms were connected and if you wanted to sit out by your door and others down the patio were smoking yand you did not smoke it would choke you out-so we just went to picnic table in yard or out front to sit and relax. Otherwise all was great and we will return. Service was also wonderful if you needed any help from office staff.

Room Tip: All are great and if you have pet they will try to put you in end room if available-they also have a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My fiancé and I (27 and 26, respectively) stayed for a couple of nights in February while “road tripping” around Florida.

We couldn’t believe the size of the room, which contained two very comfy double beds, big table and chairs, a TV and a clean and functional kitchenette. It was decorated in lovely “old Florida” style with nautical theme. The bathroom was a little small, but had a great shower. As we only stayed for a short while we didn’t use the kitchen. I’m not sure it would be enough to self cater “proper” for more than a couple of days.

N.B. the pool is next to the road. We didn’t feel this was an issue (probably because we hadn’t planned on spending any time in the pool in any event – the beaches are brilliant here), but it’s worth mentioning, as it isn’t clear from the Inn’s photographs.

There is plenty of parking out front around the little pool and there is loads of space on the decking outside the cottages for drying wet swim wear.

We didn’t see much of the staff, but they were very friendly when we did and made some great recommendations, particularly for breakfast – you MUST try the café in Jerry’s Supermarket (we thought that sounded weird, but were so pleasantly surprised that we ate there for breakfast every day!).

Good location, easy to find and with handy shell cleaning facilities by the pool, this is a perfect little base for exploring the island. (Speaking of exploring, a trip to Sanibel and Captiva wouldn’t be complete if you didn’t make a trip to Tween Waters Inn for the crab racing (but call ahead, as it’s only on a couple of times a week) – what a hoot!

Would thoroughly recommend this place if you’re looking for value for money and convenience (and a little Florida charm).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Anchor Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!