“Needs some exterminating” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Sanibel Island B&B and Inns
Pleasantville, NY
“Needs some exterminating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had stayed at here in 2009 and we enjoyed our stay then. The only bad thing I could say of my stay back then that there were always baby ants in the kichen but I could deal with that. This was not the case this time.
We stayed there for 2 days in August 2012. It was supposed to be 3. I paid for 3 but could not stay any longer. When we walked in there were dead milipedes on the carpet floor in the bedroom and the loft that we had to clean up. I was surprised we did not have any little ants in the kitchen. On the 1st night i noticed baby cockroaches crawling in the sink and on the counter. I saw them again on the 2nd night . They seemed to only come out at night. I wondered where the big ones were. Where there are babies there is usually some adult ones too. There was a space on the floor where the door closes and ants were always coming from under the door. We decided to just head out after staying 2 nights and head for our next location at Orlando. When we arrived at our hotel in Orlando I pulled out my toiletries case to get ready to go out and as I looked thru the clear plastic of the bag there was a roach crawling around in it. I had carried it with me from Anchor Inn. I will never go there again. They need some exterminating. The property also has a very bad problem with the baby ants. They were all over the property and crawling up and down the outside of the doors and the floors at the pool and parking area. We found several baby ants had come to be living in my minivan from being parked in the lot. So by the time I got home I washed every single thing I travelled with (even the clean clothes afraid to bring roaches into my house) Every single bag got checked along with every single item brought in. The van needed major vacuuming and cleaning to get the ants out. I realize this part of Florida has ants but it can be controlled with some exterminating. The only thing not negative I can say is the bedding and sheets seemed to be very clean and the kids loved the pool. I love Sanibel Island and will go back but never to Anchor Inn again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AnchorInnandcottages, Guest Relations Manager at Anchor Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I would like that start out by saying that we are glad you enjoyed your first stay with us. August is a slow time for us and it is the start of our heavy rainy season. This rain floods all insects out of their homes and in search of a new place to live. With it being our slow season, many of the rooms go vacant longer than we would like which means a longer time in-between room inspections. Yesterday after reading your complaint I visited all of the rooms at Anchor Inn and Cottages to do a full inspection and was very pleased at the cleanliness and freshness of the entire property, see new photos posted above. I did find sugar ants in one unit near the toaster outlet and made it know that regardless of the time between check-ins all rooms need to be inspected for our next guest just prior to arrival. The Anchor Inn exterminates sugar ants with liquid ant bait which needs to be left out in the general area where the ants appear. General bug extermination is done on routine at Anchor Inn and you can always request documentation of that fact during your stay. Palmettos do come up out of ground level sinks in the rainy season and even second level dwellings can experience the occasional bug as they do fly an can enter through an open door. They are fond of makeup, paper products and kitchen garbage. The exterminators put the bug poison in the rooms so that as they appear they to do not inhabit but instead die. Management does need to be and will be more diligent to inspect shut up rooms prior to guest arrival and they have been reminded. Please remember to always point out your concerns to the front desk as soon as possible as much of this situation could have been avoided if the management would have know about the issues while you were there.

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

A great find-prices were wonderful for summer-room was perfect for us and our small dog and on end-best part we thought was that room was super clean and had 2 bathrooms which is great when you go to beach so you don't have to wait for spouse. Bed was a little firm for our taste-but overall it was a nice room size and location, also has very nice pool and grills with picnic tables and a cleaning station. The only thing that annoyed us is that the smaller rooms were connected and if you wanted to sit out by your door and others down the patio were smoking yand you did not smoke it would choke you out-so we just went to picnic table in yard or out front to sit and relax. Otherwise all was great and we will return. Service was also wonderful if you needed any help from office staff.

Room Tip: All are great and if you have pet they will try to put you in end room if available-they also have a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My fiancé and I (27 and 26, respectively) stayed for a couple of nights in February while “road tripping” around Florida.

We couldn’t believe the size of the room, which contained two very comfy double beds, big table and chairs, a TV and a clean and functional kitchenette. It was decorated in lovely “old Florida” style with nautical theme. The bathroom was a little small, but had a great shower. As we only stayed for a short while we didn’t use the kitchen. I’m not sure it would be enough to self cater “proper” for more than a couple of days.

N.B. the pool is next to the road. We didn’t feel this was an issue (probably because we hadn’t planned on spending any time in the pool in any event – the beaches are brilliant here), but it’s worth mentioning, as it isn’t clear from the Inn’s photographs.

There is plenty of parking out front around the little pool and there is loads of space on the decking outside the cottages for drying wet swim wear.

We didn’t see much of the staff, but they were very friendly when we did and made some great recommendations, particularly for breakfast – you MUST try the café in Jerry’s Supermarket (we thought that sounded weird, but were so pleasantly surprised that we ate there for breakfast every day!).

Good location, easy to find and with handy shell cleaning facilities by the pool, this is a perfect little base for exploring the island. (Speaking of exploring, a trip to Sanibel and Captiva wouldn’t be complete if you didn’t make a trip to Tween Waters Inn for the crab racing (but call ahead, as it’s only on a couple of times a week) – what a hoot!

Would thoroughly recommend this place if you’re looking for value for money and convenience (and a little Florida charm).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We booked here because we have a dog. Many of our friends and family members were staying at other locations on Sanibel but they did not accept pets. The positive I can say is that the Anchor Inn is relatively clean. We had ants in our room, but other than that the room was clean and the public areas were too.
The negatives - this place nickles and dimes you for everything. All the other locations where we had friends and family staying offered many things that the Anchor Inn either did not have or charged you for (like a $15/day to use the bikes). The staff was not very friendly. I will say that there is a big difference in rooms depending on what level you book. We were in a one room efficiency which reminded me of an Econo-Lodge room. My in-laws were in a two room efficiency and their room was a lot better. Although both rooms has ants. We had a medical emergency and had to leave early and they would not refund us the nightly pet fee for the night we did not stay even though they re-rented the room. Based on the management of the property, I would not stay here again or recommend it. We had friends staying at the Tarpon Tale Inn and they had nicer accommodations for a cheaper price, the management was extremely friendly, they were a quick walk to the beach, and they had free use of numerous things (bikes, beach chairs, beach equipment (nets and such for shelling), etc.) If you're looking for a place to stay, I would recommend booking there,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
AnchorInnandcottages, Manager at Anchor Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
This is the management at Anchor Inn and Cottages and we're very sad there appears to be miscommunication surrounding your stay.
As Innkeepers we were off that Wednesday and Thursday the first two nights of your stay. An employee that has been let go since was working the front office. Unfortunately no one in your party or in on our team came to us about the ants in the kitchen area. If we had known we would have taken care of it immediately. We are very aware this year the sugar ants are aggressive due to excessive rain and we spray 2 times a week to keep them down. On Saturday around 11:30 or 12:00 we were informed that you needed to check out a day early due to a private family commitment. I politely explained the early departure policy letting you know there would be a $25 cancellation fee and if we were able to re-rent the room I would credit your card back lees the $25 cancel fee and any room rate lost. While you were there in the office I put the room back in inventory and contacted the Chamber to let them know I had a room available in-case they could sell it. At the time you told me you understood and would be grateful if we could re-rent it. After your departure at 12:30PM I received a call soon after and re-booked the room. I emailed you immediately to let you know and told you of the remaining charges and of the credit that they would receive and wished you a safe journey and well with the personal family situation. You then emailed me back and said thank you for doing my best to help them out. All I can think is that while I'm dealing with one member of the family who appears to be understanding, another member of the family is not happy but not expressing this to us. If the unhappy member of the family would like to call in and talk to us or if any member of the family would like to call in and talk to us, I'm sure we'll be able to satisfy you. Thank you for staying at Anchor Inn and Cottages.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in cottage #22 with 5 of my girlfriends for a quick girls weekend. We arrived late and had let them know we would be. There was a note left for us as well as a map and our cottage light left on.
Upon entering we were all very happy with our cottage. It was very nicely decorated and had everything we needed.

The pool area was neat and clean and we enjoyed a quick dip after we returned from the beach. It was about a 10 min or so walk to the beach.

Plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Thanks to Luke and the rest of the staff for a lovely time. We will definately return for a longer trip and bring our families.

• Stayed July 2012
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My boyfriend (of 9 1/2 years) has family living on Sanibel Island, and since we procrastinated in telling them of our travel plans, we were unable to stay with them during our visit. However, in researching another alternative, I came across Anchor Inn. I thought the A cottage was adorable, but since it's just the two of us, we really didn't need that much room, so I decided to inquire on the standard rooms. We were lucky in that not only did they have a room available, but the rate beat every other rate on the island! Diane (the owner?) was so nice, and very accomodating, and we got a good feeling that her and her husband really cared about the guests and visitors that stayed on their property. Everything was VERY clean and the mini-fridge was a nice surpise and saved us from having soggy foods and such. The bed was so very comfortable and the pillows were nice and fluffy, not hard and flat like a lot of 'Inns' or 'Hotels'. Our windows faced the pond in the back, so the fountain was kind of soothing, and there were even cute adirondack(spelling?) chairs in front of the pond for relaxing in the evenings or whatever, very nice touch! They had horseshoes and shuffleboard (we never got around to playing) and the pool was sparkling blue. They even had bike rentals! This best kept secret happens to be super close to all of the important places you need to get to and is very easy to find. The only complaint is that the bathroom was very tiny, but for no more than you need to use it, it was sufficient. We had already inquired about staying there when we visit again later in the year, and although it was too early to view the calendar, Diane took my information and remembered to contact me as soon as the calendar was open for scheduling in the month of our inquiry! We have told a lot of people about our visit and what a great time we had. We definitely recommend this cozy little hideaway and will definitely be staying here in the future when we visit our family on the island. Thanks to the Anchor Inn for making our vacation our little Retreat in Paradise!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I have been coming to Sanibel Island for about seven years. We have typically stayed at a larger more expensive hotel, even marrying on that property. But when we decided one trip to bring our two rat terriers, I researched and found our new favorite place to stay on the Island. We could not have been greated more warmly and had such a great stay. The two room effeciency was just so cute and very accomadating for our stay. The decor was "old Florida" but so cute and whimsey. We felt right at home and so did our four footed girls. Diane was so nice and always sent over a cheery smile and goodmorning greeting. She gave great recommendations on new places to eat. The rooms are very,very clean and had all we needed to be comfortable and relaxed. The pool was clean and quiet. We like the cozy laid back attmosphere and not being in a large chain hotel. We loved the grounds and sitting outside on our patio, even in a summer rain and watching the rain and palm trees sway. I would most definitely recommend this piece of paradise on Sanibel Island to someone looking for quiet stay and Island comfort at a great price. We will be back again and again! S. & L. C.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Anchor Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!