“Great Fish” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Southern New Jersey
“Great Fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had lunch on the deck at the Lazy Flamingo during the final day of a multi-day trip to Sanibel. The broiled grouper sandwich was extremely fresh and the key lime pie seemed to have been homemade.

Since we arrived at the start of lunch service at 11:30 am, I was able to catch a Sysco truck unloading at the back of the restaurant, which made me wonder whether I was going to have a quality experience. But to the Lazy Flamingo's credit, a local fishmonger's truck, out of Cape Coral, pulled in shortly thereafter. So long story short, at least some of the Lazy Flamingo's fish and seafood appears to be sourced from a smaller, local supplier.

The service was fine, but our server became overwhelmed quickly by a rush of customers around noon, and our check required two corrections. Again, I don't think the server was being a "lazy flamingo"; instead, her errors appear to have been result of the restaurant going from 0 to 50 customers in the span of just half an hour. A popular spot no doubt, especially among the sort of people who like knocking back several cocktails the clock strikes noon.

Overall, a very positive experience for lunch, the deck making it all the more enjoyable. At $13.00 for a fresh Florida grouper sandwich with fries and slaws, and $4.99 for the pie, I was content.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sanibel, FL
“An island favorite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

A great little place. Friendly staff and good food. They have lots of typical island bar food (fried grouper baskets, wings, fish sandwiches etc). They also have oysters/salads. Great place to hang with the kids since it's pretty loud. Prices are fair.

Visited October 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
“Not Recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We were not as impressed with this restaurant as some of the others. Although the lighting was low and the restaurant seemed like it had a good atmosphere, the staff was so busy they hardly had time to take our order let alone any friendly chit-chat. Also, there was music playing but we could only hear it from the parking lot and not while we were dining. I was able to get steamed clams which were very good, but the pot they were delivered in was so high I could hardly see my husband over it. It did not make for good conversation and I felt like I had to hurry up and eat it so I could get the thing off the table. The big guy at the door was very friendly but that didn't really make up for the unfriendly and rushed staff. Not my idea of a relaxed fun meal. The dining guide said this is the "locals favorite place" but I doubt it.

Visited February 2014
Livingston, Montana
“Best BBQ Ribs on the Island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Believe it or not... (but it's true, really)... we dined at the Lazy Flamingo on Periwinkle THREE times in one week. The ribs are soooo tender and good... the cole slaw is just right (not too creamy, not too vinegar'y)... and the fries are tasty, too. Ditto their key lime pie. Service here is friendly and fast --- they somehow always manage to find a good table for us. The ultimate in delicious, spicy comfort food!!

Visited January 2014
North Collins, New York
“Casual Atmosphere and Fresh Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you like oysters, steamed clams, fish basket, and good brews to match, this is the place! Service was fast and friendly. Great spot for lunch or just a quick snack.

Visited January 2014