“No charm - just old” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scotland
“No charm - just old”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We arrived at Castaways on 4 July for a weeks stay - 5 minutes was enough. The resort sells itself on old Florida charm - its just old, and the cottages are in need of major renovation. The resort is also dissected by the busy SanCap Road - so the noise of the traffic just adds to the noise of the AC. We moved to the really lovely Sanibel Moorings Resort - now that really is to be recommended!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Satellite Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

We had the best vacation in a long time at Castaways! It was our first visit to Sanibel, but certainly won't be our last.

I probably looked at 30 or 40 websites, before I settled on Castaways. It is in a choice location with beach on one side and bay on the other side of Sanibel-Captiva Road. There are 3 restaurants and a general store either on premises or adjacent to the property. It is away from thecrowds, and best of all our black scottie, Jeddie could go on vacation, too.

We arrived on Monday afternoon after a short drive from the Atlantic Florida coast. The room (Unit 25) was ready, and I learned that the cottage had just been renovated. Upon entering, we found all new appliances and sink in the kitchen, new sofa and chairs in sitting area, a new air conditioner (window unit), and a newly painted screen porch area which overlooked the bay and the marina.

Our stay was only three days, but our stay was top notch. There is a marina for your boat, and also bait and tackle at the marina store giving Castaways the feeling of an old Florida fish camp. My partner, Peggy enjoyed the fishing. Jeddie sat with her on the dock and occasionally chased lizards.

We visited Ding Darling NWR (entrance only about 6 miles) and The tram tour was great but the wildlife was a little sparse. It's summer and about 95 degrees. I can imagine though in late fall and winter that there will be birds galore.

The shelling just across the street at the beach was super and the sunsets were spectacular. We picked up a Sanibel shelling guide at Ding Darling so we would know if we found anything unusual. There were several good finds. But alas, no Junonia.

I loved Casataways. As a word of caution for future travelers if you are looking for a full service resort with conceirge, room service, marble jacuzzi tub, health club and a starbucks in the lobby this is not the place for you. If you want quiet and tranquility away from it all, in an old Florida type setting, with friendly staff and friendly guests you will love Castaways.

• Liked — Location and Marina
  • Disliked — Loved it all
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

Been going to Sanibel Captiva since I was around 6 years old with my parents and I still go back to this day with my kids and family now. I have stayed at many different motels cottages and homes on the islands kona kai was a nice one but castaways location just takes the cake I had cottage number 2, don't expect 5 star ritz carlton because its far from that expect a quait beach cottage with all the ammenities you could ask for. A lil slow on towel pick up but no big deal people that complain about the lil things like this need a multiy week vacation anyway. The beach yard with tiki torches picnic tables sand tiki huts and bbq's just made it perfect and the location on the beach has a huge sand bar that at low tide allows you to walk out 100's of yards and find tons of shells. Were in are early 30's had a 12 year old and a 1 year old and an 8 month old Loved it and if you want fancier they let you use the ammenities at Tween Waters inn just up the street. Sooooo relaxing! We will be back! Rent Beach side units too much to lug stuff across highway...

• Liked — The locarion rocked my boardshorts off!
  • Disliked — That I couldnt live there year round!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Three nights-May 16, 17, 18 Room 24

We have been to Castaways in the past and loved it. This time it was the pits. The most annoying part for us is the fact that problems seem to be fixed based on customer complaints rather than keeping up the property.

Minutes after stepping into the room, I pulled back the left side curtain on the sliding door. The left side of the curtain rod came down and the knob on the end hit me on my forehead. I actually had a dent in my forehead for days and it hurt. When I went to the office later and told the manager what happen, his only words were "Do you want me to send someone to put up the rod" No comment on my injury. My husband had tools and fixed the rod.

I have seen better sofas at Salvation Army, and it was a two seater. And climbing on a chair to adjust the air conditioner behind the big TV cabinet was weird.

The other thing we didn't complain about till the day we left. Whenever we turned on the water, it splashed everywhere and on our clothes and feet. It was like a mist. We didn't want anyone doing their repairs on our time.

We kept commenting how last summer we had stayed across the street from Waikiki Beach with a spectacular view for less money than this dippy room with a view of the fence.

The beach is beautiful and the shells ok. The water was too choppy for swimming the whole time. We love all the nooks and scrannies of Sanibel, so we had a great time.

And the prices at the Cafe next to the General Store were too high.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed in unit #8 recently. It faces the beach and shares the same grounds area as Units #9 and #11. The front desk staff at Castaways are not friendly and need to take a course in hospitality 101. However, the support crews are much nicer! The unit itself is old and in need of a major rehab. The kitchen's pot and pans were dirty and needed cleaning. The bed was at least 15 years old and not comfortable. The bathroom toilet did not flush and it took well over 8 hours to get it fixed. The shower's water pressure was almost non-existent. The faucet water had a salty taste and I would recommend drinking bottled water only. The unit was well overpriced as was mentioned in other posts on here.

The beautiful beach made our stay worth the other unit distractions. It's really beautiful and not as crowded as the other Sanibel beaches.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
northeast Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

We rented unit # 5 which looked directly onto the beach, and it was worth it. The 2 bedroom cottage was very clean and came with all the pots, pans, full size refrig., and french doors opening up to the screened in porch. Units #5 and #6 are elevated, so you can see the ocean from the back porch. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. There is a general store and restaurant directly across the road ( a 2-minute walk). The shelling was average, and our daughter was a little disappointed having not found any sand dollars, but overall I reccomend Castaways and will definately come back. (I also reccomend Doc Ford's restaurant. The food was VERY good, reasonable, and very family oriented)

• Liked — views of the beach/gulf
  • Disliked — about a 15 minute drive from all the "junk shops" on periwinkle way
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

My family stayed at Castaways for three nights in April. It was $255 a night plus $20 a night for our yellow lab. I was a disappointed in our cottage. It was #27 and overlooked a small lagoon area. It is actually pictured in the brochure, and pictures can be deceiving. In the brochure, it appeared the beach was in front of our cottage and this smaller lagoon area behind us. Actually the beach is across a fairly busy road that runs through Sannibel to Captiva. I was not comfortable letting my 10 and 11 year old boys go to the beach without an adult to help them get across. The lagoon area is very shallow. We considered bringing our boat and it is a good thing we didn't because it would have gotten stuck. We were told it is a max of three feet deep when the tide is in. Our cottage had tiled floors, which is good because there is sand everywhere. The unit has one very loud air conditioner. I didn't think it was very clean. We arrived early for check in and actually waited outside for our unit to be cleaned. Housekeeping worked on it for no more that five minutes. When we entered there was long black hairs on the wet tile that had just been mopped. We had a problem with ants. There was bug spray under the sink, but dealing with ants was not something I wanted to do for almost $300 a night. Our cottage had a little screened porch with a broken screen and rickety old door that needed to be replaced. It was rundown and dated with dark wood pannelled walls inside the cottage. We were given one bar of soap for both the bathroom sink and shower, so I had to ask for more. There is no maid service, so if you want clean towels you have to put your used ones outside your door and then housekeeping will replace what you have used. We put 4 towels out and got back one towel and 10 washclothes one day. In the morning the no-see-ums are unbelievable. I came home with over 100 bites and I am assuming it was the no-see-ums and not bedbugs! Bring bug spray! We brought our dog and were told she would be given a treat upon arrival, but she never got anything. No big deal, but don't say you give each dog a treat and then not do it.

On the positive, the beach across the street is very pretty and my boys and husband loved fishing off the "docks", although they didn't catch much. We did see an otter back there, which was neat.

Castaways is also 7 or more miles from the more populated part of Sannibel. We brought our bikes, but there was no where to bike to because it was just too far from anything. There is a small market and three restaurants within walking distance, but that is it. It is very quiet.

I would not go back. I was very glad to get home and am sad that we spent over $900 for that cottage.

• Liked — nice beach
  • Disliked — unclean, old, dated
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Castaways Beach and Bay Cottages? Share your experiences!