“Loved It” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
New York
“Loved It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

This place was beautiful for our long awaited honeymoon. I was kind of nervous after reading reviews on here but our vacation was great. The staff was friendly, the rooms were a little bit out dated but with your cottage being steps from the beach, who really cares. If you are looking for a place to have hotel staff to fill all of your requests, room service, etc. This place is not for you. If you want a relaxing place, with no phones, no traffic and no drama, this is the place for you. This place was so good that we are already planning for next year and we just got home yesterday.

• Liked — Location. Steps from the Beach
  • Disliked — Nothing. I Loved the place
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

Good location, but number 2 cottage very dated and in need of significant refurbishment for the price compared to other places we could have stayed. we saw a live cockroach on our first morning, which they tried to say wasn't a roach and that they didnt have a problem, but did agree to send someone in to look, who said it was clear for roaches, but sprayed anyway. we then found a large dead one on the bathroom floor the following morning and needless to say, left immediately. we did get a refund with no problems, and the person we saw didnt seem entirely surprised about it. shame really, a lovely location, but could be a whole lot better.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cockroaches and no maid service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Largo/Clearwater/Seminole, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

Having stayed at Beachview every other year for many years we were somewhat well prepared. Our favorite statement about this place is it encourages one to "leave it all behind". Bring your fave book/s and be prepared to do as much nothing as possible! No phones in the cottages encourages a return to sanity. One of the many unique points about Beachview Cottages is the fact you can view both sunrise and sunset. As others mentioned, it is best to plan eats in advance and buy them on the mainland. Bailey's appears to be the only choice of supermarket on the island - they're not overpriced but the price is more than you would pay otherwise. The restaurants are tres pricey. Some additional suggestions....if you have a small "drag along" vacuum cleaner - bring it - you will find it very handy to suck up the constant influx of sand. Our flooring was all tile and was constantly gritty. A broom provided but stilll.....that sand was everywhere. Also bringing along a few small "walk in" rugs for; beside the bed; bathroom; kitchen & entry will be one of the things you'll pat yourself on the back for having the hindsight to do so!! The staff friendly and helpful. We needed two additional porch chairs for the Thanksgiving table. When it was determined none were available, the manager gave us the two chairs just outside the office!!! The weather was perfect, the beach lovely as ever. Yes, the place is definitely old-timey but my family happens to appreciate this. See you all in two years!!

• Liked — Just feet from the gulf
  • Disliked — the constantly sandy tiled floors were not comfortable
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

Stayed at cottage #2 for 5 days with my dog and boyfriend. The cottage itself was disappointing because it seems that no preventative maintance is done. It was a too rundown for the price they were charging and I expected better. The shower head dripped, the bathroom faucet dripped and there was rust in the sink, outside sensor lights that we requested be fixed, were never done. They had a serious electrical issue that we brought to the attention of the manager the day we checked out. There was a short in the light fixture that controlled the lights in the ceiling fan and 3 times that outlet sparked and knocked out the circuit breakers. The wooden steps leading to the screened porch were iffy at best. The sleeper sofa was not fit for a human back.
Now the kicker: while we were there, we started developing bites on our legs. At first we thought it was the no-se-ums. The day we checked out, we also mentioned this to the manger, who assured us it was the no-see-ums. She was very friendly and kind to be fair. However, I feared bedbugs and the more I look at pictures of bed bug bites, the more convinced I am that it is bedbugs. I'm totally freaked out now that I have introduced them into my apartment and will have to call for a professional to deal with it. I've seen the work involved in trying to eradicate them and it is a big job. I'm going to wait and see.
On the pro side, the location is what draws people. Right on the beach. Cottages 1,2 and 10 are the closest. I will go back but will stay in a different cottage. The shelling was quite good here .I found the pickings better here than at Bowmans beach and Turner beach.
The other big draw for me was that it is a pet friendly place but for $20 a day extra, at least a couple of welcoming biscuits for my dog would have been nice.

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — interior of cabin. could be way better
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

We (my husband and I) stayed at the Beachview Cottages for a week on our Honeymoon (Oct 28-Nov 4, 2007). Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. They Beachview is amazing! Just a short walk to the beach (no joking, just a few feet, depending on which cottage you stay in). Not only were the employees friendly, the people that stay there were as well. They are pet friendly and there were some dogs, but it didn't bother us at all. Clean cottages and a beautiful view! We will go back again!!!!

• Liked — The fact that we weren't in some high rise condo building, we had our own cottage
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

We live in Orlando and drove to Sanibel after work arriving at 11:30pm, we were exhausted and wanted nothing more than to unpack and go to bed. We opened the door to cottage #9 and immediately were hit with a strong odor of cigarette smoke, however the hotel can't be blamed for their guests smoking in the rooms and making them smell bad. We would have been able to deal with that particular unpleasantry. However, after we unpacked our entire truck and were about to get settled in I pulled the bedspread back and saw TWO LIVE ROACHES crawling on the top sheet. There was no way I was going to stay there after seeing that so we got dressed, re-packed, loaded the truck back up and then attempted to find a hotel that would accept us and a pet at midnight, as we had our small dog with us. Fortunately for me I remembered that all LaQuinta's are pet friendly and there is one just over the bridge prior to getting to the island. It was totally renovated, extremely clean and only $79 per night. We stayed the night and called the weekend a bust, heading back home to Orlando. The manager gave me a full refund, including deposit also e-mailing saying that they have a pest control system. However, I will not return and would advise you to check the room BEFORE you unpack.

Stayed October 2007
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

My husband and I had the most relaxing long weekend. I recommend this place for people who just want to get away from the hussle and bussle of life and just want to chill out.

If you are looking to party, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a resort atmosphere and amenities, etc. this is not for you. This place is simple and quiet and does not encourage the people who want to party...so stay away please!!!

PROS:
right on the beach
allows dogs as long as you clean up after them
has free bike rentals
nice people
simple comfortable cottages
if you don't want to drive to the store, you can bike to pick up little items

CONS:
beds are a little soft for my taste
prices are a bit steep for what you get

• Liked — right on the beach
  • Disliked — the soft bed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Beachview Cottages? Share your experiences!