“cute quick stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Auburn, New York
“cute quick stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We needed a one nighter before our house rental was available, so I located this Motel on line. Very reasonable nice, cute Hawaiian theme, friendly staff. It fit the bill for our overnight. Basic snacks and coffee for the morning. NICE restaurants in walking distance.
Any stay on Sanibel Island is worth the trip. What an exceptional, pristine bit of paradise this island is.

Room Tip: No street noise. No direct beach access
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I reserved a week at this "motel or as I call it a trailer joint" because I have stayed in better motels than this. As soon as I got there, noticed the smell of mildew inside the room. The carpet was old and the place looked very run down. The comforter or bed cover smelled and had stains which the staff came and replaced as soon as I informed them. Then I noticed the shower was dirty and the curtain too. They came, cleaned it and changed the curtain. I went to sleep that night exhausted from the trip and next day, first thing I noticed was a dead roach next to the night stand. Then a few minutes later another one next to the TV. I called the front desk and they came to clean it. The front desk clerk said they were not roaches, they were "palmetto bugs", like that is suppose to give it more class? Palmetto bugs are roaches!!! The next morning another roach appeared close to the kitchen in the process of dying. The manager sent her husband to look for opened holes in the trailer and figure out how they were appearing. The toilet got clogged, which is the first time I have experience that in 40 years, they came to unclogged it. The third night another roach again appeared dead. It was a nightmare, by now, I couldn't hardly sleep. I was very upset so they decided to switch me to their "better hotel", which was a few blocks away. The place was nicer but unfortunately that same night I found another roach, which probably flew inside, because it was in the curtain and started flying around the room. I was able to kill it and after I finally took a shower and was dying to fall asleep I noticed the bed had bugs jumping in it. Needless to say, I spent the whole night awake, packing my things, sitting in a chair watching the bugs jumping around in the bed. I did catch some of them and early in the morning went to the front desk to show them the bugs. Checked out and went to another hotel in the area, for just a little more money but a whole lot better quality, no roaches or fleas in the bed.

I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!

Room Tip: A room in any other hotel or motel is better that this place!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Shauna591, Manager at Kona Kai Motel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
To our guest one year ago ( July 2013) at the Kona Kai... We ( the owners and new management team) apologize for a terrible experience. since your stay a year ago, many improvements have been made to the property and guest rooms.. No more carpet, new wood floors,units freshly painted, new mattresses and linens, flat screen T.V.s, monthly bug service etc... It was unfortunate for us (owners) that our old management was relaxed in these issues that should have been taken care of before they had gotten to that extreme. Please note by the recent Trip Advisor comments all the guests that have been and enjoyed their for the past year. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you might consider us again if you travel to Sanibel.
Kona Kai
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed in the Tikki cottage.
Lovely room at the rear of the property. Small bathroom.
Excellent location on the main strip.
You can walk to restaurants and bike hire.
Friendly management and great pool.
Would recommend this motel.

Room Tip: Tikki hut is a detached unit, nice and quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Atkinson, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I planned a quick weekend get-a-way in late January 2014 to escape another winter blizzard. Luckily, there was space available. The staff was friendly and helpful and the fridge in the room was great. It certainly wasn't lavish luxury, but we weren't really interested in that. Kona Kai has the "vintage" Floridian feel and that's just what we wanted. The price was right, location was relaxing and centrally located on the Island. Right across the street was a bike rental shop which is an absolute MUST. Bikes are really the easiest mode of transportation and it was very convenient across the street from the hotel. We will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: Select a room in the back of the property but if you arrive after dark, ask someone to show you your...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

First time to Sanibel and my wife and I stayed at Kona Kai. Room was nice and clean, nothing fancy but served the purpose for a short trip. Only saw front desk person once so just make sure you understand this is a 100% self-serve motel. Good for short stay, not so sure for longer ones

Stayed May 2014
Southwest Harbor, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We decided yo stay here as we were going to be out for the evening and the price seemed right as we waited for the off season rates! Neither one of us slept as the air conditioner was so loud it sounded like a rocket ship taking off and it was so full of mold I couldn't breath! The people running the place were extremely nice! No electrical outlet in the bathroom and no mirror on the wall or door

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was my first time to Sanibel Island and I was very impressed with this quaint little hide-a-way!!! In need of private time to reflect and just get-a-way, this treasure allowed exactly that. Tucked away, private, comfortable and clean. Loved every minute of my stay and I will be back. Also, the staff (Grace, Erica and Christine) were so accommodating and kind. Two thumbs up!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Kona Kai Motel? Share your experiences!