“"Great Stay!"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Columbia City, Indiana
“"Great Stay!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and i were looking for a nice quiet place for our anniversary and we found it at the Kona Kai.Beautiful setting,clean rooms,great pool,so much to see and do nearby.You will not find a friendlier and more helpful staff.Would recommend to anyone looking for quiet friendly place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Right on main street very noisy with road traffic poorly kept an old air conditioner was dumped next to the pool. My opinion is that this place is an overplaced tourist trap. Not a relaxing place on the beach.

• Stayed October 2012
Brenda C, Manager at Kona Kai Motel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Aloha from Sanibel,
I am so sorry that you seem not to have had the wonderful experience we wish for all our guests. Through the lack of pronuciation and jejune adjective in your title I waded, looking for the explanation of why you never contacted management about any of your concerns.
With all the beauty that the Kona Kai has to offer in meditation gardens, pond, gazebo lit with fairy lights, sparkling pool and majestic Sanibel River it's such a shame that the only photo you posted was of the garbage pile behind the pool waiting for next morning pick up.
The Kona Kai is located in the heart of the island, close to all the shops and restaurants and less than a mile to the beach. No where do we advertise that we are beachfront. I am praying you find exactly what you are looking for directly on the beach for the $100.00 a night you paid here.
Thank you for expressing your opinion as we always like to hear from guests. Mahalo
NORTH LIBERTY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I discovered the Kona Kai through the Ding Darling national Wildlife Refuge website, as I was coming to spend a few days there. I wanted a nice, quiet place, not a big modern resort, and I found a gem! Brenda and Lenny are fabulous, and did everything they could to make my stay wonderful. They actually went out of their way- I had arrived in St. Petersburg on Thurs. night, with plans to stay there Thurs, and drive down Friday- check in time 2 PM. Had a miserable arrival in St. Pete- stood in line for an hour and a half waiting for the rental car (at midnight)- the airport hotel messed up my reservations, and put me in a room full of mold, so couldn't sleep, and decided to drive to Sanibel at about 5 AM, arriving at 9 AM. I stopped by the motel to see if I could just drop my stuff off, and go out to the refuge or something until check-in, but they went ahead and got me checked in early, in a lovely little room by the pool. (great, relaxing pool!) the grounds are great- they are redesigning everything, and it is in the style of tropical gardens. there is even a short walk back to the end of the property on the Sanibel river, with chairs for hanging out,where I got some great Osprey photos. The rooms and suites are arranged around wooden walkways and tropical gardens, with porches, covered seating, a central grill for guest use, etc. It is definitely an old-style "housekeeping" motel- this is not the Hilton (thank heavens!) Just a nice, comfortable old-style family vacation spot. If you are looking for a nice,quiet, "Old Florida style" friendly spot, close to everything on Sanibel, with both privacy and friendly help, this is the place! I hope to visit here again on my next trip the gulf side of Florida!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Decided at last minute to stay overnite, watched a beautiful sunset, but desperately wanted a shower! Aloha room for 3 was a good size , really nice bath room, tiled shower stall, lots of light, deck with chairs, pool was closed, but it was clean, the cottage garden walkway is so cozy,,,,, great value,

• Stayed October 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

As many places will be island prices, especially those just a bit closer to the beach, Kona Kai is great for location, budget and comfort. It definitely has an island vibe where the living is easy but Lenny and Brenda, even though you may not see them, are there should you need them. Located conveniently near Jerry's and other restaurants, this is also a great place for couples - I was there with my GF for two nights. We stayed in a motel room with wooden floors - there are other room available that are a bit different from what I understand. With the basic amenities plus a a nice window above the doorway to let the sun in - this is exactly what we needed.

There is also a nice pool that, at its deepest, is nine feet. A great place to view the stars when you return as much of the island shuts down at dark!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room near Periwinkle but it had the wood floors and we didn't hear any traffic be...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

It's a yearly treat that the Stechert family enjoys by going to Sanibel Island for a little family va-ca! We have been staying at the Kona Kai for the last several years. All we can say is this,"Stay at the Koni Kai...you won't regret it!"

Brenda & Lenny (On-site Managers) are the very best people in the world! Very accommodating...and very attentive to your needs!

Thanks for Everything!!

The Stechert's

Room Tip: Get the room by the Pool!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I needed to get away earlier this month for some R&R and this place was just what the "doctor" ordered! Affordable, beautiful and the management is very nice, hospitable and accomodating. I will recommend this motel to everyone that asks!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kona Kai Motel? Share your experiences!