“Do NOT miss this Restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
IL Cielo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Periwinkle
Description: Warm and Inviting dining areas with a separate bar/lounge. Piano music Thursday,Friday and Saturday evenings. Daily specials, 3 course Prix fixe available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until 6:30pm. Daily Happy Hour from 4:30-6:00pm
Sarasota, Florida
“Do NOT miss this Restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Regardless of ranking, this is not only the best restaurant on Sanibel but one of the best in Southeast Florida and beyond!!!
Everything is top notch, From the moment that you enter the restaurant you are greeted with a comfortable and gracious atmosphere. The waitstaff is attentive and knowledgeable, the decor is posh but not stuffy and the food...oh just believe me, you have treat in store!!!!
This was our second visit to Il Cielo in less that 2 months and it is 80 + miles from home. Previously we had a very contented (understatement) party of 6, Last night we had a party of 4. Previously our party consisted of neighbors from Sarasota, but last night we met with family from N Ireland..the reaction was the same. Everyone was well pleased and has plans to return.
IL Cielo is a delight for the palate. The evening began with several selections from the extensive wine list and hot bread that was made in house and caused us to disregard out diets ( divine)!!
Last night we sampled appetizers, entrees and desserts, all of which not only satisfied but left us feeling as though we had found a treasure!
New York strip,perfectly done, Lobster Ravioli to savor, Fettuccine with shrimp to die for and a soup of butternut squash and apple with shrimp which can only be described as delightfully innovative and delicious, along with Veal and desserts were the fare of the evening.
Never skip dessert! Each selection is worth the calories!!!! On only beautiful to behold but each is a big cut above ordinary! All are made by Mrs. Chef.
This restaurant should be enjoyed again and again!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Skaneateles, New York
“Very Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had high hopes that you could find GREAT Italian food in FL based on other reviews. My husband and I had the meatball appetizer with a glass of wine. They were great and that is where our high hopes ended. The mussels with fennel was so disappointing. The fennel was way to undercooked and the flavor was never brought through, had so much potential. Had the veal Milanese and unfortunately it had no flavor. No veal, no breading, nothing. My husband had the strip steak with the chimichurri sauce. The steak was cooked perfectly but lacked flavor as well.
The bartender and the service was great and the atmosphere was very nice. For the price I am looking for more than service and atmosphere. Coming from NY I know what Italian food should taste like and this is not it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
neil g, Manager at IL Cielo, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your review and critique of Il Cielo. As chef of the restaurant I purchase quality ingredients and prepare and supervise the preparation of all the dishes with passion and enthusiasm. Though we never claimed to be "Italian" specific in our cuisine style, we certainly do employ quite a bit of Mediterranean influences in our cooking. I apologize for not exceeding your expectations on your recent visit. We hope you return to allow us to change your opinion. Chef Neil.
Tallahassee, Florida
“Beautiful dining room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The dining room is decorated with beautiful wood and glass. The view from the windows in greenery: palms and other tall plants that are more pleasant than asphalt to look at.

My husband's meatball appetizer was served with ricotta and he really liked this choice. I had shrimp fettucine as my ap, and it was tasty.

The salad and salad dressing were perfect in proportion and taste. One of the best salads ever! The homemade focaccia bread and sundried tomato olive oil for dipping were just so-so. Not as flavorful as other olive oil dips I've had.

My husband's lamb chops were divine. My hog fish was very bland. It was very fresh, but could have used lemon and perhaps some seasoning. Both entrees were surrounded by an interesting assortment of vegetables, such as golden beets and fingerlings.

The homemade apple crisp with brown sugar ice cream was excellent.

Both my husband and I appreciated the quality of wine that accompanied our price fixed menu choices.

Visited October 2013
Sunnyside, New York
“Surprise find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Quite possibly the best restaurant in Sanibel, this was a surprise find! Their food is delectable, atmosphere is charming romantic, and the desserts are to die for. Great, great experience. Try their Tiramisu or profiteroles, and you will be left craving for more.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful Birthday dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I had my birthday dinner at Il Cielo and it was delicious. Everything was top notch, from the greeting at the door, the service, the ambience and especially the food! Salads were generous and nicely dressed, entrees were very good and timely, and the dessert was heaven on a plate. The restaurant is more high end than most of the island restaurants so it is a nice option for a special occasion or just a change of pace. We will definitely return!

Visited October 2013