“a little piece of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

You added Loggerhead Cay to your Saves list
Loggerhead Cay
979 E. Gulf Dr., Sanibel Island, FL 33957   |
Nottingham UK
“a little piece of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I love this place, myself and my family have been staying at loggerhead since 1994 and keep coming back for more. I went back for the 1st time in June 2008 since June 2001 and this time took my partner. We went to celebrate my mums 50th and had a fab time. The thing that makes this place special is its location to the beach and the people you meet.
The grounds are immaculate and the apartments are all to a very high standard. re 2 of my favorites.
We have met some life long friends over the years including the Smiths from Chicago, Washam's from Ohio and Sass's from Wisconsin to name but few who we keep in touch with. The only problem with this place is it took nearly a full day to get there. We went from Nottingham, to London Heathrow, then 8 hours to Miami, then 3 hours to Sanibel in all it took us from 5am Sat morning until 7pm Sat night US time (midni
There are lots of places to eat out ( i think we ate in 3 times 1 of them we had pizza delivered) and they are value for money. The Island cow and Lazy flamingo aght uk Time) to get there and the same on the way home. if you want paradise this is your place but if you are from the UK you have to travel a long way to find it.

• Liked — Good social scene
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rochester NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

We stayed at Loggerhead Cay during holiday break from work (dec-jan 07/08). I booked through vacationrentals.com, where you contact the owner and she books through sanibel holidays.
It was cheaper going through the owner ( better price) than if I had gone directly to a third party.

I had a first floor unit (cant remember the number offhand) and it was very pleasant. Comfortable, clean, well equipped.
Great lanai and outdoor area was lovely. There is a pool and you just walk up to the beach. We were one building away from beach.
The weather was up and down this past year, so we had a couple of really warm days, then some major rain and then sunny but very cool. But we bundled up and walked the beach and went to Captiva one day, and took a day to shop around when it was cool. Having a kitchen is nice because you don't have to eat out all the time. We did go to the Hungry Heron with a group of friends that arrived the day before we left (they stay at another condo area they own). Great meal as usual.
did go to the island cow once and a couple others.

Hungry Heron is always a great meal and great price. Definitely a family place, too, so it is affordable for a large group.

We did order pizza one night ( and i wish i could remember the name) and it was one of the best pizzas i have had. Great crust and sauce. And I have eaten at many across the country.

There was no red tide during my stay, but there was some churned up mess from the storm that left lots of interesting critters and such on the beach. But that is what natural is all about. If you want pristine, white with nothing in it, you should stay elsewhere (not sanibel). But i like the natural, quiet tranquility of the island. All the luxury of home but in a nice setting and lots to see and do or relax and do nothing.

I rebooked for this coming winter again for the same condo and got a good deal on the price ( less than what is posted) because I am a repeat customer and booked immediately--while i was still there).

Loggerhead Cay is near the lower south west part of the island.

Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — location and amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

My family of 5 recently stayed one week at Loggerhead Cay - Unit 321. We enjoyed the unit very much. The owner has decorated it in a very delightful way. There are also a lot of beach supplies, books to read, and movies to watch - a lot of personal touches in this particular unit. It very much felt like staying in a friend's condo. There was quite a bit of landscaping being done to beautify the grounds while were there. The establishment was being maintained quite well. It was a great location on the beach. The waves were a bit calmer there than at other pubic beaches on the island which was great for swimming and playing, especially for my 4 year old. The large pool on the premises was also a great feature. We booked the unit through VIP Vacation Rentals and everything went very smoothly.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grayslake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We (me, my husband and 6 yr old son) stayed here the first week of May 08. We choose our unit (321)through vrbo. We opted to save some money and stayed at the back of the complex, which turned out to be a good decision. The beach wasn't really that far away and we were happy to be away from the pool since it can get loud at times. Our unit was clean and well furnished. The bathrooms needed updating but they functioned fine. Our unit included games, DVD's and books for all ages. It also included beach chairs, boogie boards, sand toys, water toys, shelling nets, beach umbrella, and handy cart to carry it all to the beach. The owners left nothing out!!! It was great. The kitchen was well outfitted as well. The common areas of the complex are very well maintained. The pool is quite large and of course, the beach is gorgeous with wonderfully soft sand and millions of shells. We would stay in this unit again, mostly because of all the extras included by the owners. We were on the ground floor which was very nice when returning from the beach. We just went through the lanai and left all the sand in there!

• Liked — extras included by owners
  • Disliked — outdated bathrooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

I stayed for a week at Loggerhead Cay with my family at the end of April. The second floor condo we were in was about 100 yards from the surf. Great location - the beach was never crowded (partly because of the time of year, I'm sure), and the weather was terrific.

This property is very well kept - the grass was perfectly cut and everything was very clean. Each condo would be different depending upon the owner, but ours was well decorated, clean, and roomy.

If I travel to Sanibel again, this complex will be my first choice for accommodations.

• Liked — The Beach
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Returned for spring break. Had a wonderful time. We had a later spring break than in years past so the crowd was gone. The weather was great. This property has the most beautiful grounds I've ever seen in a condo and not resort hotel community. Our unit (#584) was in building 5 (1 & 5 are closest to the Gulf but only a few units in each bldg are Gulf front). Be warey of Gulf view description. The bldgs are in a "U" shape so unless you are at the good ends of bldgs 1 and 5 you are out of luck w/gulf view. The courtyard area, tennis courts, grill areas are perfectly manicured. There is a fantastic trash chute in each building so you don't have to go to far to take out the trash. Our unit was recently renovated/sold and was in great condition. We had a pet friendly unit as well. Lots of families and regular people were there. We stayed in Ocean's Reach last year and would only return there over Loggerhead for the view.

We went to McCarthy's Marina in Captiva and took the 3-hour shelling tour to Cayo Costa St. Park. It was fantastic. We saw manatees at the marina and would repeat this excursion as well as add others.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Space Coast, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

Rented a unit in Bldg #5 ( closest to the beach) through VRBO.
The unit itself was clean and updated.
I was on a "get away" from everybody vacation, so when I was woke up at all hours by babies screaming and dogs barking I was a little disappointed. The condo walls are not very thick.
The grounds at Loggerhead Cay are beautiful and well kept. I did not check out the pool, becuase it was full of screaming young children from 8 am to 9pm (even during the usual afternoon lightening storms). All units surround the pool, so if you are looking for peace and quiet - this is not the place to stay.
The condo association was replacing front door on several units during my stay, so I felt like I was in a contruction zone, When I complained to the management - they assured me the work would stop at 5pm ( which it did).
Loggerhead Cay is close to dining establishments and shopping on the east end of the island.
This would have been a great family destination. Next time I stay on the island I will look for someplace less pet/child friendly.

• Liked — Location it was close to everything. The unit I stayed in was extremely clean.
  • Disliked — Screaming children in the courtyard, dog feces in the common areas, and construction work.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Loggerhead Cay? Share your experiences!