“Why the great rating?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 27 hotels in Sanibel Island
Nashville, Tennessee
“Why the great rating?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

I'm not sure why this gets such a great rating..... My friend and I stayed 3 nights, May 24-27, 2007 in Pineapple Lodge. It's pleasant -- the efficiency room was larger than the usual hotel room. The bath would have been nicer for roommates if the sinks had been separate from the bath and toilet. The kitchen supplies were barely adequate. The sunset reception is ONLY in the winter. The staff were not friendly nor helpful. I was told an incorrect time that Ding Darling opened. If you sit in the line of lounge chairs you face the beach AND a sign stating there's a $50 fine for taking chairs to the beach. The grounds are pretty; the condo pool larger and quieter than the pool next to the office. We didn't spend much time on the balcony because of the AC noise plus could barely see the water/beach because of vegetation between us and it.
Don't eat at Amy's Over Easy Cafe or the Normandie -- Island Cow great place for breakfast and probably everything else. If you like hand made gifts and art, go to the Island Drums at Captiva -- outstanding!

Stayed May 2007

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Jacksonville, Illionois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I love coming to Sanibel and staying at the Waterside Inn. As a child my family visited the island every summer. Now as an adult it is absolutely my favorite and most reslaxing vacation. I sometimes travel alone and feel completely safe at the Waterside Inn. All of the staff are friendly. Shelling (and lots of it) is wonderful. I can't tell you how many shells I have found over the years and I am still drawn to get more. By the second day I have the "Sanibel Stoop." Only good things to say. Rooms are clean considering you are always bringing in sand. I would recommend the Waterside Inn to everyone-and I have.

Stayed October 2006
Metro Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

My husband, two daughters, ages 8 and 5, and I had the opportunity for a Florida vacation. After spending time at very busy Clearwater Beach we wanted our kids to see Sanibel Island with all its shells and dolphins. With no reservation, we headed there on Monday morning and stopped at the Visitor's Center. They have a list of all the island's hotel vacancies for the night, and if you book from there...great deals. I asked the staff if they could recommend a few "affordable" beach front hotels. The Waterside Inn was our first call, and where we stayed, and it was wonderful!

The staff we met were very friendly and accomodating, our room was clean, the price was right, and the location was perfect. I will admit, there were a few things that could be improved upon. The screen to our balcony (which had a beautiful view of the ocean) had a rip in it-keeping us from keeping the slider open as we had hoped, and the bathroom needs a makeover soon. However, we all loved the small pool and it's setting, and we shared it temporarily with only one other person, the proximity of the beach, where there were very few people-a welcome sight after the business of Clearwater Beach. I'm looking forward to staying again in the future, and definitely for more than just one night!

• Liked — Being able to afford a beach front hotel in such a beautifu area.
  • Disliked — The rip in our screen door, couldn't keep the slider open in the evening-for fear of bugs.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

First WARNING - Waterside clams to be smoke free environment, thats crap, all it means is your room is smoke free. Smoking on the grounds, the pool and on the balconies of all of the room around you. If you are a non-smoker stay away!

Second Warning - On the weekends the Florida "trailer trash" arrive with their out of control children and pick-up trucks and they are all smokers.

Other than the smoke and the weekend people the place is great, clean rooms and friendly staff.

Boston, MA

Stayed April 2007
Pembroke Pines, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

Just got back from a nice long weekend stay at the Waterside Inn and had a great time. My husband and I (and our little sheltie dog) decided we needed a little break from the hustle and bustle of Miami so I researched dog friendly places and found a great spot at Waterside Inn. We stayed in the Apricot cottage. It's their honeymoon cottage and we found it to be a quiant little cottage with all the basics you'll need. They provide you with all the basic appliances for dining in, even dish detergent and paper towels...just bring the food. The bedroom was kind of small with limited closet space but it did have a king size bed. The beach was just a few feet away with gorgeous sunsets and lots of shells to entertain you for hours. The staff was friendly and very helpful in suggesting places to visit and restaurants for dining. We definitely plan on visiting Sanibel Island again and staying at the Waterside Inn.

• Liked — Location and pet-friendly accommodation.
  • Disliked — not much closet space
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Clifton Park, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

I have only good things to say about the Waterside Inn. It's a little piece of heaven, wonderful for the price, clean, and the views are awesome. I would recommend this to anyone.
My wife, two sons and I stayed there for three days. We didn't want to leave. We had room 127 (2nd floor of the Pineapple efficiencies, 2nd unit in from the ocean). The views were fabulous.
Our boys really enjoyed the heated pool. We liked walking around the grounds, strolling down to the beach and collecting shells. One night, the bright orange sun setting into the ocean took our breath away. We enjoyed a cocktail as the sun set on a warm March evening while back in New York they were getting ready for a snowstorm. Does it get any better than this?
And on the day you check out, they allow you to stay for the day at the beach or pool and they even have a little cottage you can shower and change in.
It's a lovely little place of pastel colors and palms. We've made it a goal to get back here.

• Liked — location on the beach, scenery
  • Disliked — pool was a little small
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hell, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

We are return visitors to Sanibel Island and The Waterside inn. In the past we have stayed in the beach cottages, however, this trip we chose a condo unit. We had a wonderful time with great weather. The condo unit was clean, nice views overlooking a grassy area with a pool. The unit was supplied with cutlery, plates, glasses, mugs, blender, microwave, and toaster in the full kitchen. There was also a laundry/supply room with full size washer/dryer. Paper products were supplied. Housekeeping came in once per day to pick up garbage and supply fresh towels, fully cleaned the unit once per week. The grounds are well kept with pride. Located on the quieter part of the beach, west gulf drive. There was a good mix of people staying in both the condo and cottages, many were yearly repeat visitors, lots of families with children (babies to teenagers), couples, and a few seniors. A few units allow dogs - my kids had the pleasure of playing with several of them. Management and all staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The owner hosts a friday night party on the beach area for all guests - great food - pizza, chicken wings, fruit and veggie trays, and drinks. It was so nice to meet all the other guests, all the kids run around and play. There were two pools, while on the smaller side, we never felt crowded and always were able to get chairs and a table. We were very happy with this and previous stays and will be back soon. Waterside inn is a very laid back and non pretentious place to enjoy sanibel.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Waterside Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!