“Great Family Vacation Location” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2823 West Gulf Drive, Sanibel Island, FL 33957   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Family Vacation Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I have stayed at many places on Sanibel Island but the Shalimar offers the absolute best price per location on Sanibel Island. I have been staying at The Shalimar on vacation for the last six years, and have never had a problem with the linens, staff or lodging. In fact you can grab clean sheets every night throughout your stay if you would like. Enjoy the sun, shells, and sand. In addition, there is no oil here except for tanning oil.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Cataumet, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

We stayed in one of the cottages and were totally comfortable and satisfied. Cottage was basic and cute but not too much so. Manager and front desk were excellent. WiFi worked fine for me but all I needed to print were boarding passes which is available to guests in part of the front office. Best part is being right on the beach - and with the option of a small but adequate pool for aerobics or laps. The clientele is definitely in the long -time retired stage ( as are we ) and the place is very quiet and clean and feels very safe. Sanibel Island is a wonderful example of what enlightened planning can do for saving fragile and precious environment - we appreciated seeing the treasures of conservation results.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I stayed here for just a couple of days before christmas with my husband and 3 year old. For the money, the place was pretty to look at, especially with the Christmas lights on at night. The exteriors were well kept and nice looking, everything neat and orderly. We got a good last minute deal and were able to use their bikes during our stay which was very convenient. The rooms were clean and neat and provided everything we might need for our short stay. The balconies were nice and had very good views of the gulf, even though they were described as just "partial gulf view" motel rooms. I was tickled about just how close we were to the beach, just a few steps away. The decor was dated but everything was in good shape and good repair. The only drag was how itchy the sheets were. I can sleep on pretty much anything, but the bedspreads/sheets drove me crazy all night.I was a little dissapointed to notice that the few guestsin the motel building seemed all bunched together next to each other. It was mostly quiet but you could easily hear your nieghbors when they were there. I was mostly worried about disturbing others with our sometimes loud 3 year old. With all the open units, you would think guests could have been spread out more. Just a minor inconveinence though. The management were okay, pleasant for the most part but I wouldn't describe as friendly. The owner/manager kind of ticked me off though when we were leaving because when I was turning in our keys, the girl asked for me to return their parking decal. I had no idea what she was talking about, my husband was the one who hung it in the car, and he was outside waiting unable to inform me we did, in fact have one. I politely told the girl I didn't think we ever received one and finished up inside and went out to our car. The owner overheard the conversation from the back room and ran outside after me demanding the decal back in not a nice way. Just as I walked outside I saw the decal hanging in our car and was going to immediately grab it and bring it back inside the office just as he ran outside after me. The whole thing bothered me because I was made to feel like I was stealing the decal or something when in fact it was just an oversight on my part. Overall, a nice place to stay that is affordable but with plenty of room for improvement

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
No. California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I recommend this property if you seek a good value on Sanibel this is the place. It is a clean old style accomodation; excellent location and reasonably priced. We stayed on the second floor of the motel here for 3 nights in January and found this to be a good value. The view from our room was great and we could go for a walk on the beach by simply stepping out our door. The grocery is a couple blocks away and we are 5 min from the shops, 10 min from the bird santuary. The king size bed is comfortable, and the kitchenette allowed us to save $ by cooking breakfast and preparing lunch. An earlier reviewer commented on old furniture but we did not find the furniture or kitchen equipment in poor condition. We found the property well maintained and when we had a question about something it was resolved quickly by the maintenance man. If you stay they do not have daily cleaning service but again for us that was fine. We really liked Sanibel Island and enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

All the applidcances and servcies are the cheapest possible. I specifically asked if they had hi speed internet connectivity as I had an important meeting on Monday and I had to download some files. They said they had wifi. What they didn't say is that it was slower than dial up. The sign in screen had a feature to purchase more bandwidth but it didn't work. The manager blamed it on the wifi provider. Having 25 years experience in the business I know that you get the bandwidth you pay for and they must not have paid for much. The location is the best the amenities are marginal to poor.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Over the years we've stayed at the Shalimar 4 times - 3 times in the motel and once in a gulf-front cottage. You can't beat the proximity to the beach or the location on the island for shelling and restaurants/shops. The grounds and pool are well above average. Service is usually professional but not overly warm or accommodating.

Unfortunately we won't be returning. The furnishings are mostly dated and worn and show excessive signs of wear (rusting fixtures, chipped mirrors and tiles, faded and rusting lanai furnishings, etc.). The sheets are the coarsest I've ever slept on and the mattresses sorely need replacing.

Many of the guests at the Shalimar are return guests of twenty or more years so likely the owners don't feel there's a need to renovate. I hate it that all of the pluses of this property can't make up for the run-down furnishings. If I ever learn that the owners have replaced the beds and bed linens, replaced the lanai furniture and updated the bathrooms and kitchens I'd glady return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We stayed in the motel part, unit #1, actually on the beach. The view down the beach and toward the sunset was really nice. They also had cottages, not as close to the beach but still right there. Everything was clean, nicely kept up, cute. Pool was wonderful, never crowded. We shelled and fished right in front of our room, 30 feet from our door .We grilled some of the fish we caught. The beach here is very child friendly, shallow water. The location to town and Captiva Island could not be beat, very central. The beach was never crowded here either, just a handful of other guests on it when we were. This is not a fancy place but laid back, clean and friendly. It was a very nice place to stay and we would choose this over some of the condos we saw from the beach just because it is so close to the water.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Shalimar Cottages and Motel? Share your experiences!