“our annual vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Toronto, Canada
“our annual vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

coming here 15+years. Peaceful, any minor hiccups always appropriately dealt with by Ramos and/or front desk staff. Immaculate, well-maintained & improved (we speculate annually about what will be improved). On-site laundry a boon, it's fun doing a wash while sitting in the sun in Nov/Dec. Non-smoking a great improvement. Only quibble is that we'd like the pool a bit warmer (as it used to be).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
des plaines, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is by far one of the cleanest hotel's we've ever stayed at. We loved the view from the second floor. Honestly, we spent all our time on the beach and never used the pool, altho it looked nice. The office staff was very pleasant. Loved being able to use their computer to print my boarding passes. They had morning coffee available, a book exchange, dvd's to use. Just a great place!

Room Tip: Choose 2ndfloor for a great beach view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lima
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much. I think your prices are equal to other similar type places in Sanibel but think the service could be better in the way of amenities. Having a coffee maker to make your own coffee in the room would be nice. By the time I got to the coffee in the office at 10 am it was all gone. Some of the BBQ grills are in terrible condition. The rooms were excellent and we enjoyed are time there.

Room Tip: There are two cottages that are duplexes and have direct views of the beach. The motel type rooms f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great motel. Huge rooms with efficiency kitchen amenities. Beautiful view from screened porch & right on the beach! They also give you a discount at the wonderful Sandbar resteraunt which is right next store. Rooms are spotless and staff is excellent. Can't wait to return!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The beauty of Tripadvisor is seeing everyone's different perspectives of the exact same place. I stayed at the Shalimar during the "frat boys and sorority girls" week one of the reviewers referred to, in fact, I just may have been one of those sorority girls!! To be fair, yes, there was a night we came home late and were upon reflection - a bit loud as we settled with the cabdriver, said our goodnights and made our way to our rooms. For that I sincerely apologize. As for the walls being "paper thin" I think everyone understands when you stay in a motel, you just might hear your neighbors from time to time. I did not find it any noisier than the five star resort I stayed at in Marco in December. Yep in a hote/motel - sometimes you can hear other guests. I did not feel it was an issue at all. I personally slept to the sound of the waves hitting the shore every night. The Lanais all overlook the ocean and we enjoyed breakfast out there every morning.

The Shalimar truly is a lovely place to stay, the closest to the beach you will find on the island, just off the steps of the motel. Very clean grounds with paver stone parking lot. Each room has an ocean view and the kitchen was so handy and very well-stocked. The pool was never busy while I was there, due to the proximity to the ocean I suppose. The fishing off the beach was fabulous and we saw tons of dolphins and manatees cruising by close to the shore. A lovely walk on the beach in either direction, and the most beautiful sunsets. A short drive to all the restaurants and pubs. I highly recommend the Shalimar and plan to stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Shalimar for the past 5 years. We LOVE the Atmosphere at this small, wonderful resort. You can't beat the motel rooms for Ocean Views and quick access to the beach. The rooms are clean and well equipped with small kitchenettes. We simply stop at the grocery store before check-in and pick up all we need for breakfast, and quick lunches. (There are several restaurant options close by for all meals if you would rather eat out). Then we spend each day Relaxing, fishing, kayaking or walking along the beach. The staff at the Shalimar has always been very helpful. They have bike and kayak rentals on site. In our opinion, everything
You need to have a relaxing vacation away from home is available at Shalimar. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed there last month during the 5 days when the group of over aged frat boys and sorority girls were partying. I appreciate the owners response to my husband's review and yes we should of complained to the owner directly. However, someone else must have because suddenly (each night) they stopped, slammed their doors, and there was no more singing, yelling and partying. So... maybe another person staying in the motel building did complain each night. We were going to say something to the group directly but they were drunk during the day on the beach / evening... and we did not want a bad reaction or outcome. I can't fault the owners for that particular inconsiderate group. Just karma I guess.

The over all stay was nice, the rooms were clean and comfortable. We ended up staying here by default, our other choices with ocean views were all booked during the dates of our trip. We did not want to stay at a big resort (which this place was not) because we wanted serenity. We were looking for a small low key place to stay and happened upon this place at the last moment before giving up on finding an ocean front view.

My disappointment at this place was the paper thin walls. The motel building must be old because we could hear EVERYTHING from the other guests in the rooms next to us and above us. Our neighbors seemed very nice and maintained a speaking volume I would hope is normal and comfortable conversation level... however, we could hear their conversations perfectly. Next door the guests TV when turned on felt like it was in our room (this is without the doors to the Lanai open). Ahhh one night from 12:30am to 1:30am we woke up to their TV and the mystery show they were watching. The first night the people upstairs walked back and forth across their room from about 8:30pm to 2am ... I could not sleep. Every time they walked across the floor (which felt like every minute or two) our room would shake (no kidding here). I was almost in tears because I was looking for peace and quiet. How do you complain about someone walking across the floor in the guest room they paid for? And is it the guests that are at fault or the paper thin walls??

I do have one suggestion: In the motel rooms you should have the beds on the wall facing the ocean. Our beds were facing the other ocean front cottages and with the sliding door open it is not the best view to have. It would of been nice to lay in bed and look out to the ocean.

The owners were very nice and the location on the beach is amazing!! If I did return I would stay in one of the 3 cottages that face the ocean (the other cottages are in the back towards the entrance and face each other).

If you are deciding to stay in the motel... well... it is comfortable to stay in (the beds are fantastic to sleep on) with an amazing view of the ocean / beach from the Lanai. I wish you luck with your neighbors and hope for your sake you have quiet ones.

All in all we had a great time and stayed out on the beach and roamed around the island as much as possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shalimar Cottages and Motel? Share your experiences!