“Right on the Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Decatur, Illinois
“Right on the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in February 2011 for our wedding on the beach. The rooms were right on the beach. Very nice, clean and staff was very friendly. The rooms have full kitchens with full sized refrigerator and stove. It had all the utinsels needed for cooking, plates,bowls, cups and even ice cube trays fully filled. My husband used the laundry room and it was very conveniant. It is located right next door to a popular seafood restaurant/bar. My one and only complaint was the price. For being a motel they could have been a little cheaper and more comparable with some of the other motels and cheaper hotels ex. Holiday Inn. We paid $250 per night which is crazyness even for Island prices.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Douglasville, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The accomodations, beach view/access, and pool were just as described as pictured and promised. The cottage was very clean and beautifully updated. The staff was very accomodating. I needed an iron and one was provided instantaniously. The staff was very helpful in answering any and all questions. I was amazed that there was even a shuffle board court. Ihave not seen one nor played in over years. There is also a half basketball court. We have vacationed on Sanibel for a few years now, and wonder why we had not found this place sooner. We will definately return in future years. I am not a fan of daily maid service, as I do not easily trust anyone. Not having daily maid service was a non issue for us as fresh towels and miscellaneous items were always availableI found that the staff was more than accomodating if you expressed special needs or circumstances in advance. I would recommend that any friends or family visiting Sanibel stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Benson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My trip to Sanibel Island with my husband and two old adult children was about having access to the beach. We had two rooms with gulf views and quick access to the beach which allowed me, an early morning riser to be up and walk the beach as others slept in. The rooms were average but my expectation was beach access and my expectation was met. Customer service was a bit lacking but I enjoyed my stay all the same. I enjoy my Wingate and Hyatt stays but when I want to sit on the beach I'm willing to to put up with a bit less of the room quality and service. I loved the beach access and everything else was acceptable. If you love walking or sitting on a beach at sunrise or sunset, they'll enjoy this this place. If you're looking to be pampered. Try another place up the road.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We are a family of 8. Two adults, 5 kids ages ten and under and one under 1.

We stayed July 9-12, 2012. I thought I was getting one of the cottages when I booked through hotels.com, but when we went to check in it was the motel efficiency. Luckily, they had one of the two bedroom cottages available for us to rent. The additional price we paid on top of what we paid through hotels.com came to around $285 a night.

It was our first time at Sanibel, so I'm not really sure what to expect from hotels/rentals in this area. I was impressed with the grounds of the hotel when we pulled in, everything was very immaculate and quaint.

The two bedroom is upstairs so it was inconvenient to take all our belongings upstairs, and as you can imagine we had a lot of stuff with our big family. Beds are all comfy with exception to the pull-out couch. It was lumpy and uncomfortable. Fortunately, my 8 year old boys are good sleeper and mostly don't complain. The kitchen is outdated but everything you need is there. It's very much reminiscent of the types of places I used to rent as a college student, but I suppose not too many people utilize the kitchen as much as we do on vacation. The bathroom could also use some updating.

Now that all the cons are out of the way, I overall had very good experience at Shalimar. It was very close to the beach. Very convenient to go back to the room for baby's nap while my husband stays with the big kids in the water. Beach chairs to use while at the beach area.
There is no maid service, but you can go exchange the towels yourself which I found very convenient, I went there even after the 1 PM cut off time and they were very accomodating. Also, anytime you run out of anything (paper towels, tissue) you just help yourself to it in the same place as the towel exchange. There's even free coffee if you desire.

Wi-Fi is very sketchy. My husband found it quite frustrating to get work done (yes, even on vacation he has to work. We run our own business and internet is imperative and cannot go on vacation without internet connection). Around 6:30-7:30 be ready to constantly be kicked off the internet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed three nights in mid-August and had a great time. Decided to pay a little more for a cottage and it was definitely worth it. Felt like our own little vacation home. Simulated wood flooring throughout, separate bedroom, small (but fully equipped) kitchen and screened in patio. We didn't stay in 4,5,6 or 7, which have great Gulf views from the patio, but we could still see (and hear) the Gulf from ours. Pool area was clean and they provide towels. Didn't use the towel exchange as we were only there three nights. They have free coffee in the office every morning, which is great if you arrive late like we did and couldn't make it to the grocery store (they all seem to close at 10:00, even in Ft Meyers). Location is fantastic, just steps from the beach, and they have beach chairs you can use. Been to Sanibel a few times and love the atmosphere and beaches. Shalimar is by the best place we have stayed and will likely go back again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooksville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

My family and I visited Shalimar for 3 days, starting July 21st. First of all, their location is simply unbeatable. You are literally steps always from the beach when you walk out of the door to your room. We stayed in the motel, and the view from the porch was gorgeous. The whole place was extraordinarily clean, particularly for a motel at the beach. We will definitely be back to stay at Shalimar in the future!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Amissville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

You're basically paying for location, since there are virtually no amenities (not even clean sheets). Fresh towels are available if you get them before 1PM. Wi-Fi is a very weak signal in the motel portion. Having said all that -- we had a great time. Adapting to not being on the computer 24/7 and coordinating getting your own towels is not that big a deal.

Room Tip: If you're going to get a cottage, try to choose one with a beach view...