note: we did not stay here, rather attended a wedding here. must say it seemed very well run with great first impressions. much of the staff was pleasant and attentive, on the grounds, at the bar, in the parking lot. the ceremony was on the beach and everything was well done. there was ice water due to the late afternoon sun.
i want to contribute these details as it's critical to know before going. the only unfortunate thing were the sand fleas or 'no-see-ums' tiny parasites that need human blood to pass on to their unborn. there were many and they feverishly bit us. we were all itching and two of us had 'severe cases' after being diagnosed once home. if you go, be sure to put oil on your skin, they can't penetrate through to the skin. either sunscreen oil or i was ready to use olive oil! and also, only 'deet' works, not skin so soft and insect repellents. post-bite, calamine lotion, aveeno bath. everyone responds differently so see what works for you. creams did nothing for us. doctor gave me cortisone shot and an oral antihistimine. unbearable itching and worst itch, over a mosquito bite say the experts and i'd concur.
i approached the staff and they said they get them maybe twice a year and nothing could be done. when i pointed out the woman with the big (quarter size) welts all over her body, he brought an industrial strength fan for the table. unfortunately, it didn't work, there were that many of them. the fully clothed men were spared for the most part, however, many women had on little dresses and the fleas loved that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Natural, secluded and exclusive, historic Casa Ybel Resort epitomizes the sanctuary, old-island spirit of Sanibel. Occupying 23 acres of beach front property isolated from commercial enterprise, the resort forms a sheltered getaway where romantic surroundings and outdoor recreation attract couples and families alike. Travelers have found respite and hospitality here since the 1890's. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Casa Ybel Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Ybel Hotel Sanibel Island
- Casa Ybel Resort Sanibel Island
- Casa Ybel Sanibel Island
- Sanibel Island Casa Ybel