“Great place in an excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3345 West Gulf Drive, Sanibel Island, FL 33957   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
New York
“Great place in an excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

We stayed at the West Wind Wednesday 9/28/05 and checked out Saturday morning 10/1/05. We had a nice room in the Driftwood Building with a kitchenette and a great view overlooking the beach and Gulf. The room was small but adequate for two. The kitchen area perfectly sized for breakfast and lunch preparations, though a bit more counter space would have been useful. One thing I must mention is everything looked very clean and well maintained. The screened in balcony was an added plus though it's fairly small. The grounds around the WWI look to be well-maintained and kept also. The pool and surrounding deck (with the pool bar) was very nice, though I'm sure it could easily become very crowded.
The staff we encountered seemed very nice.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to West Wind, we stayed 9-28 to 10-2. We went based on the reviews of this board. We stayed in the Driftwood #149. We had an great time. The room had a beautiful view of the ocean. The staff could not be more friendly from the pool lady, giftshop/rental lady/the front desk, (Gerry was a sweetheart), housekeeping was great!! I forgot to change the privacy sign on the door when I went to the pool and when I got back there was a bag of fresh towels, toiletries, and coffee packs hanging on the door!! Also there was a morning paper on the doorstep every morning. It's a beautiful island, super clean. I am not a person who ventures far from the pool, which was beautiful, warm, and clean, that would be my husband. He is an American legion member and found one just down the street. A great bunch of guys who told him where to rent a fishing pole and tipped us off to the best restaurants. The Normandie right on the premises was one, (great breakfast and great service), and the Timbers for a seafood dinner. They were right, the Timbers was THE best seafood meal I have ever had and I was born and raised in New England. Ido not have one negative except for the sand ants. They got me good on the third day. They came out after a rain storm went through. It was my fault for walking down to the beach at night, it is NOT the Inns fault as stated here on the board. It is part of nature, part of the tropics, no one has control of them any more than mosquitoes. I say go....have a great time....you will meet people from all over the word there. We will return without a doubt!! Donna

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

My wife, daughter and I stayed for 4 nights at the West Wind Inn Sept. 13 - 17. I had booked the room facing the ocean for 2 nights, but decided to extend our visit by another 2 days since we were having a nice time.

We got hooked on shelling once we stepped out onto the beach. We shelled early morning and late afternoon. During the days we did the tram and boat tour of Ding Darling refuge, the Captiva Cruise to North Captiva, and just driving around the area.

You could see the damage done by the hurricane in 2004, especially in Captiva (a shame).

Pool area was nice, we had a room with a full kitchen, nice spacious rooms. Sand fleas are a nuisance at night, so no sitting out at night on the varanda.

Overall, I very nice experience.

Washington DC metro area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2005

I stayed for four nights beginning on Labor Day, so most of the crowds had left by then. I stayed in a second floor efficiency in the Azalea building, which is one of the closer buildings to the ocean. Fortunately, I didn't overlook the pool, but I had a great view into the balcony of the neighboring building. (It was vacant, otherwise, it could have been a little awkard. Only a very few of the rooms will have this situation.) At sunset, my view of the sun was cut off by the other building, but I still had a great view of all the twilight colors over the gulf. The room was extremely clean, and it looked like it had recently undergone some refurbishing. The toilet, shower/tub and bathroom tile looked brand new. The bathroom is VERY small, but there's plenty of counterspace for all your stuff. The floor of the shower is soft; this was a little weird at first, but I guess it's to protect against falls. The kitchen was stocked with pots/pans, plates, utensils, and plastic cups (and a little bottle of dishwashing liquid). The room had a HUGE television and a separate DVD player. The screened-in balcony had 4 hooks for hanging wet clothes and towels. Didn't see any gross bugs. The first morning, I had left the "Privacy Please" sign on the door knob, and when I returned to the room, housekeeping had hung on the doorknob a bag full of towels, washcloths, and even some coffee packet refills. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with benches and palm trees. There were also grills and picnic tables. Another unadvertised feature was a hut with a sink for cleaning your shells and/or fish. The pool and guest laundry room were very clean. (The pool has its own bathrooms.) On the hotel's beach, the view is incredible. To both the left and the right, all you see is shoreline, vegetation; a very few small buildings can also be seen. And the shelling was GREAT. I found many amazing shells at the hotel's beach; more than I found at the public beaches. (You can't just look in the piles of shells onshore. To find the better shells, you'll have to get in the water and watch for them to roll towards shore; then reach down and grab them before they get swept away!) I don't really have many complaints. There was some noise from the refurbishing construction, but I realize that low season is the best time for them to get this work done.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2005

This is my third trip to Sanibel, first time staying on the island. I had a really rough traveling day and when I finally arrived at the West Wind Inn, I was sincerely greeted by Ryan at the front desk. I had specifically requested to stay in the Driftwood building from reading other peoples' reviews. Wow! It was an excellent choice. These rooms cost more, but I feel it is worth the money. What a view of the ocean you get from the screened-in porch. The shelling was awesome! The pool was very large and clean. The shell cleaning hut is a super idea. Due to Hurricane Katrina (Aug. 2005), we had to change our sunset, beach wedding to indoors at the Thistle Lodge. Our wedding planner was wonderful! If you are getting married, call Weddings by the Sea.
The one thing that was a problem was that I was stung by a sting ray and the staff at the desk did not know how to handle the emergency. Thank goodness for our wedding planner. She took me to the clinic as my fiance was not in Florida yet. If you are stung, make sure you go to the clinic to verify that you do not have a barb or an infection. One feature that I would have liked to see was a lock on the porch door. (But maybe this is so you don't lock yourself out?) It was a vacation to remember. My five year old and I cried when it was time to leave. We will certainly come back to the West Wind Inn.

• Stayed August 2005
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

My mother, sister, and I stayed here for a few nights in December. We have never been to sanibel before and we loved it, not to mention staying at this Inn was a plus. It was located on a beautiful beach that was great for finding shells, watching the sunset and walks. My mother, sister and i enjoyed this place very much. The staff was excellent and we hope to come visit again soon.

• Stayed December 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

I was staying at the West Wind Inn due to a death in the family, so it was planned last minute. When I arrived I was so tired and fatigued by the
recent events that I didn't really notice the inn that much. After the funeral
I decided to go to the pool(which is so nice and clean and big) I just heard
the palm trees whistling through the wind and the waves crashing on the shore, such peace. I decided to stay 3 more nights. A young man at the Front Desk( I think his name was Brian or Ryan) was so kind and hospitable to me, he didn't blow me off like most Front Desk Clerks. He told
me the best places to go shelling and boat rides, and was very informative
about West Wind and the island in itself. Thanks to him!! Laurie at the pool bar was also very kind and makes the best drinks, yum, yum!! You see its the people who are kind and hospitable to you that will make your stay
enjoyable, and that you will find at the West Wind Inn. - Maggie

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!