“Lovely Stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3345 West Gulf Drive, Sanibel Island, FL 33957   |
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
“Lovely Stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

I was staying at the West Wind Inn due to a death in the family, so it was planned last minute. When I arrived I was so tired and fatigued by the
recent events that I didn't really notice the inn that much. After the funeral
I decided to go to the pool(which is so nice and clean and big) I just heard
the palm trees whistling through the wind and the waves crashing on the shore, such peace. I decided to stay 3 more nights. A young man at the Front Desk( I think his name was Brian or Ryan) was so kind and hospitable to me, he didn't blow me off like most Front Desk Clerks. He told
me the best places to go shelling and boat rides, and was very informative
about West Wind and the island in itself. Thanks to him!! Laurie at the pool bar was also very kind and makes the best drinks, yum, yum!! You see its the people who are kind and hospitable to you that will make your stay
enjoyable, and that you will find at the West Wind Inn. - Maggie

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2005

We've been using the West Wind since the early 70's. It was originally build in the late 60's as a motel. However, it has been constantly updated over the years. Since it was originally built as a motel, your options are efficiencies and rooms. There are, though, several reasons to consider the West Wind if you are considering Sanibel:

1. Unlike most properties, you do not have to stay for a week. If you are coming just to check out Sanibel or coming for a mini-vacation, the West Wind is a good choice.
2. Housekeeping is excellent! Rooms are immaculate (never beachworn). The property is beautifully landscaped. The pool opens up onto the Gulf and has plenty of lounges, chairs, table and unbrellas. We love Hawaii, but we've always felt that Sanibel comes the closest to it in the 48.
3. The staff (Bob, etc,) have always been able to accomodate us, including last minute plans and changes. The ownership (apparently) has remained the same for the last 30 years (and many of you know how important this is).
4. Although all rooms are Gulf view, there are a significant number of Gulf front rooms. All room have screen porches.
5. The West Wind is located in a more residential area that is very laid back.
6. The Normandy Restaurant is one of the better, if not the best, places to eat breakfast on Sanibel. Very reasonable.

My wife says this is a boring review, but it is factual. We do a lot of traveling, and we always keep coming back to the West Wind.

LAs Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

My best firend's dream was to go to Sanibel Island to collect seashells. In February, I contacted the hotel directly and booked what they felt was the best room(#250 - Driftwood). When we arrived the day hurricane Dennis was passing Sanibel, we were thrilled with the room and guest services. We had a beautiful view, the room was clean, and the seashells were heavenly. Ryan G. at the front desk is a wealth of information and very entertaining, his recommendations were right on. If you are looking for a true taste of life in Florida before commercialization, West Wind Inn is for you. You will not find room service, a pool with a waterfall, a spa or upscale restaurants but you will leave with wonderful memories, a magnificient collection of seashells, and a longing for a time when life was simple and oh so wonderful!!!

• Stayed July 2005
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

Thoroughly recommend the West Wind Inn. Spent 13 days in a laid back atmosphere where every guest is made to feel welcome and at home. Hoping to spend my "pirate dollars" there next year.

• Stayed June 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

My mom, 2 year old daughter, and myself stayed at the West Wind Inn for a week in mid April 05. We loved the site for traveling with a child as we were a few yards from the pool on one side and a few yards from the beach on the other. This made it very convenient to come and go with the needs of my daughter.We had a rental car but didn't need to use it aside from going out to dinner. We picked a room with a kitchenette which was great for preparing breakfast and sometimes lunch so we didn't need to drag my toddler to too many meals out.

The decor of the room was nice,not luxurious but clean and well cared for and the benefits of proximity to beach and pool for children made it the perfect trip!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

My husband and I just returned home from spending four nights at the West Wind Inn. The island is peaceful, beautiful and relaxing. The West Wind Inn is run very professionally. It was just so easy to make a telephone call down to the gift shop and Debbie would run down and place our chairs, towels and unbrella on the beach all ready for when we would return from our morning bike rides. We did rent the bikes for three days and really enjoyed touring the island on them. The Normandie Restaurant was excellent as were the many restaurants we ate at. It was so nice having an excellent restaurant right on the premises though and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We found each and every restaurant we visited to be excellent. Our room was very nice and super clean. We were very impressed with the room and the view off of our balcony. The shelling was fantastic, the water was beautiful and so nice and warm (unlike the Jersey shore which is still in the 50's). We truly didn't want to come home and we will definitely be back. The trip was one of my favorite vacations and the most relaxing to me ever. I know my husband will see this so can I say Happy Anniversary, I love you, and thank you for a wonderful anniversary vacation.

Stayed June 2005
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

I agree with the previous post. The place needs some upkeep. Our room was recently redone so it was acceptable. However, there were some lapses in housekeeping - opened packs of individual plastic fork, knife and spoon sets from a previous guest and the "no smoking" sign dropped behind the dresser and left there. Maybe minor things but .............

The beach is wonderful. The pool is nice. It would be better if there was some section of the pool that was for adults only. There is a kiddie pool, but most kids seem to have water vests and swim in the pool even in the deep end. There also could be more shade by the pool. There were plenty of clean towels available.

We left just as the Memorial Day crowd was coming in. It became very crowded very quickly. Some may like crowds and activity we don't and that's why we left when we did.

This may seem like a negative post, but most of our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!