“in need of some work” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“in need of some work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

the west wind inn on the beautiful island of sanibel appears to have received a partial refurbishment, particularly the bathrooms. However, the place needs a substantial upgrade in order to make it equal to other newer accommodation, not to mention its spectacular surroundings.
the location of the west wind is excellent in terms of it being right on the shell beach, which is quiet, clean and unspoilt. the rooms are arranged on "landings" motel-style and they are on two storeys. they are basic but the one we stayed in was only averagely clean (fluff behind the beds etc) the balcony mesh screens were dirty. didn't see many people using their balconies. the pool bar closed at eight pm and was nothing special, the bartender got stressed when food orders came back wrongly processed. the reception staff were very friendly as were the staff in the gift shop. beach loungers and umbrellas were available for hire at a cost of $20 per day, however you had to turn them in for 4.30pm! buy your own before getting onto the island and use them instead. the island itself is gorgeous, as long as you are aware that it is difficult to get a meal after 9pm, even though there are plenty of good places to eat. but there are better places to stay than the west wind inn at £86 per night in May 2005.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

Have just returned from a week at the West Wind Inn, Sanibel. Would highly recommend this Inn to anyone wanting a relaxed, no-frills holiday, but with all the amenities. Our room in Azalia block was spotless - the Inn is right on the beach with the most amazing views of the Gulf and the sound of the waves. The swimming pool is super - just the right size for either burning off that fabulous food or just floating around to cool off from the hot sun (87 degrees when we were there!) The pool bar sells snacks/lunch throughout the day and is great - with a fantastic selection of drinks. Their Normandie Seaside Cafe is fabulous - we had breakfast there most mornings and enjoyed every single one! There is a good choice and the food arrives amost instantaneously - the waiting staff are great and the food is delicious and very cheap. The Inn has its own bike rental area - perfect for a day's bike tour of the island - we cycled down to Lighthouse Beach and took a picnic lunch - fantastic. Just be aware of the egrets and gulls swooping for a free nibble!! If you like collecting shells, then this is the place for you! Just yards away from the Inn is one of the best shelling beaches on the island - you really do develop the "Sanibel Stoop" - nobody can resist the urge to look and pick up a shell every time!! The gardens were adequate - but considering that most of the island is still recovering from the August Hurricane Charley, things have been put back together pretty well. A car is a must, as the Inn is quite a way from Periwinkle Way - the main "hub" of the island.

The Inn is rated as a three star and it is just what you would expect it to be, but the ambience and the cleanliness of the rooms made it a holiday to remember. We had a fridge/microwave/ coffee maker in our room which was enough - who wants to cook on holiday?! The only thing missing was cutlery/plates just in case you did feel the need to cook anything in the microwave.

The slight downside of the trip - The Inn's motto is "Cleanliness and Friendliness"- clean it certainly is, but the decor/furnishings/bedspread need updating a little. The Inn's reception staff were slightly unfriendly at times - they didn't seem to be able to cope with more than one customer at a time!! Nevertheless, we would highly recommend this Inn and the surrounding area, particularly for you nature lovers out there - it's a gem!!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a week at the West Wind Inn. Although this was not our first trip to Sanibel (it was our third in three years), we felt our stay at the West Wind was a positive one. The Noseeums got me early this trip. In fact, it was during the night that I sustained several bites, perhaps bringing them into the room on my sand-shoes.The shelling and the beach were great. Overall, our room, in the Driftwood building was clean and well equipped. The restaurant was good and the service, attentive.The office and housekeeping staff were helpful and pleasant. The other guests, mostly families, were polite and friendly.We particularly enjoyed the rented bikes from Billy's which we rode daily. The Hungry heron, Island Cow, Grandma Dot's, RCOtters and the Mermaid Kitchen were our favorite places to eat. We plan to return next year at the same time. The weather was perfect.

Indianapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

My sister and I just returned from our 1st and last trip to West Wind Inn. Stayed in room 138 and my sister got bed mites (diagnosed by her dr). I called the hotel and they have been very rude and the secretary to the manager hung up on me when I asked for the report they received from the bug people who they called out after our call. These did not come from the beach because we only spent about 45 min total time at the beach during our time and that was to pick-up shells, we never laid on the beach. I did not get any of these bug bites and I was with my sister the whole time. The only difference is that I completly removed the bed cover/comforter and slept on top of the sheets and she slept on top of the bed covering/comforter. Very disappointed also in the lunch waitress. She was not very attentive and when we presented the coupon we received from the front desk she quizzed us as if it was counterfit and then failed to remove the coupon from our bill so we are trying to get that money back. Very disappointed in this and would not recommend West Wind to anyone for fear they had a problem and had to go through what we are.

Westchester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

We stayed at the West Wind April 16th-23rd (two adults, two children, ages 11 and 2) based on the excellent reviews from people on this website. It was our first trip to Sanibel and everything was just as great as we'd hoped.
Our room was steps from the gorgeous beach, the room had just been redone and was wonderful--very clean. Wonderful views. Good kitchen facilities (we had a kitchen unit). Housekeeping was very accomodating (not easy when you have to work around the nap and eating schedule of a 2-year old). We ate at the Island Cow and Grandma Dot's based on the site's recommendations. Both were excellent. The Island Cow was especially good for children of all ages because they have a large patio outside with live music, iguanas, games and a big mangrove tree for kids to climb. We spent time at Jerry's (also a recommended stop) and really loved the birds. We rented bikes at the West Wind (very convenient to have the bike rental place on the premises) and biked to Ding Darling to see alligators.
The trip wouldn't have been half as good if I hadn't read all the great feedback on this site and made my plans accordingly.

• Stayed April 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2005

I decided to book a room for my mom and dad and I for our trip on March 28-30th. (I'm in my 30's and my parents are in their mid 70's) My parents arrived two days prior to this and checked in before I arrived. I booked this property based on the excellent reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. Did we stay at the same motel? This is a VERY old motel and I very dissapointed as they do not keep their rooms updated. Here are some examples:

* The carpet in our room near the slider had frayed and no one bothered to at least clip the edges. Not a huge deal, but read on.

* The plumbing fixtures in our room looked like they were from the 1940's-perhaps original to the motels opening?

* Bathroom had a really bad musty smell to it. It was downright nausiating at times.

* Tap water was absolutely aweful. The tap water in Mexico didn't have the awful stench that this did! I brushed my teeth with bottled water to avoid it.

* Hairdyer looked as though it was about 20 years old at least. It had a hose on it! I couldn't remember the last time I saw a hairdryer with a hose!

* Toilet wouldn't flush properly unless you held the handle down.

* Drain in the bathtub was disgusting....was all moldy and badly in need of replacement.

Other issues: I thought that I had read on this motel's website that they have a swim up bar? Not the case....the bar is near the pool but you have to get out and walk up a flight of stairs. Speaking of the pool, the water was too cold to go for a swim....very dissapointing. Must have been in the 60's.

Housekeeping never came until around 3:00 in the afternoon, making it difficult to come back and take a nap or change clothes for an afternoon swim. When I complained to mgmt. about this, the guy insulted me by saying that I was "probably used to staying in large hotels where they have a very large housekeeping staff" and that they have a small staff that cleans the rooms first of the people who've checked out so it's ready for the next people to check in. On the contrary, Mr. Manager. Most of the hotels I've ever stayed in, from here to Mexico to Tahiti, Europe and throughout the US, I usually always stay in the smaller boutique hotels, where I've never had housekeeping come any later than 2:00.

The motel sits right on the beach, though it's a bit of a walk from your room and I really did not find very many nice shells at that beach. (For really good shelling, go to the public beach near the lighthouse-it was fantastic!)

For the good points:

* Yes, the room was quite clean.

* On site restaurant wasn't busy and was okay for breakfast.

For the price we paid (over $200 per night) I expected something so much nicer. For a little more money I think we could've rented a condo and there are some really fantastic condos on the island. Next time I'll for sure skip this place......maybe if you're in the "new" section it would be fine but the old section really is the "old" section.

• Stayed March 2005
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2005

Stayed March 13-15 with 2 & 5 year old. Did not seem to cater to kids during our stay but friendly none the less - suggest staying in a gulf view room - worth the extra money! Incredible shelling beach and wonderful on-site restaurant for breakfast. Clean rooms. Great location. Had a great trip from Sanibel Harbour for a dolphin boat ride.

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!