“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
east coast
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for two nights a week ago while on Sanibel Island. Great location - right on the beach. We had a decent size room right next to the ocean front rooms on the second floor. Could not really see the beach unless we went out on porch or stood near door. the shower was really nice however the bathroom was small. Beds seemed comfortable enough. Watched the sunset on the beach our second night here which was nice but I got bit by a lot of little bugs and still a week later have red marks on legs. No waves on the gulf side so if you like listening to the waves at night you don't hear them. I would stay again though if back on the island.

Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant first morning and it was good. a bit pricey but good.

Room Tip: Get a place on the second floor. Closest to ocean as possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments. Please come back to Sanibel and stay with us. We have stuff that wards off the "No Seeum" bugs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed in a room with a kitchenette. A bit small for a family with two kids. The room was a bit outdate, but the bathroom had been updated and looked good. The pool is a good size and the beach is beautiful and quite. Not to many waves which is perfect for small kids. The service is very good. The staff helps with a lot and after forgetting something for the safe, they send it immediaitely to me (international delivery). Great service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We are very sorry that your stay was personally disappointing. Thanks for letting us know so we can address those things that are in our power to improve.
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had a terrible time at this Resort...very dated and the rooms were very small...We had a two bed kitchen suite. We brought food from home to cook in our kitchen...the stove died in our room. The maintenance people were clueless and on the second day of the visit we had to pick up everything and move..asked if they could just change out the stove and they would not. During the nite the power went off and this place is totally dark...I mean dark..and no one touched base with patrons to tell what was going on. The pool was decent but heavily oriented towards the bar crowd...not very family friendly though we had asked if it was. They had a bar by the pool which was ok...but seemed to be the focus for most people there though we were told it was more family oriented. The beds in the room were small though supposedly queens, cheap and uncomfortable. No much in the way of on premises food sources. Had a restaurant but seemed very low end. Vending non existent for the most part and too expensive what they did have. Just not a good visit...wont be going back.

Room Tip: not for families...couples and older travellers would be ok here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Hotel location is decent and beach is nice but room is very small and beds are uncomfortable. The pillows are the worst I have experienced; slept with three and it was still questionable. Fridge was noisy and the air conditioner was loud. I am glad it was cool enough to go without it. Hotel lacks amenities for its overall star rating. It might be a good choice for retirement age vacationers but if I could do over I would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your experience. We try very hard to provide a quality stay at a reasonable rate. Your comments will give us something to think about and improve if possible..
Port Charlotte, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Nov. 17, 2012 in Room #214 which cost $165. Staying one night to visit friends on Sanibel. The bed was horrible...no sleep most of the night. KS broken down on both sides with big lump in the middle. Knew the experience was not going to be the best when we were confronted at the Front Desk by 3 sour faced women who could not have been less friendly or helpful with directions. The room itself was clean and cold (with A/C running at 60) and "micro" in size. But for $165 on Sanibel, the weekend before T'giving you are not going to get Ritz-rooms. I did expect a relatively firm bed. Breakfast was reasonable and very good at attached restaurant.
There are a lot better places to stay on Sanibel at the same prices. Many are not even listed on TripAdvisor so call the Sanibel Lodging central office for reservations.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with kitchenettes are better???
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
You are right that it is hard to beat Sanibel as a location. And we are happy to be right on the beach in a quiet area. We do appreciate yet your comments. If we don't learn about disappointments, we can't do anything to fix them. Thank you.
Milton, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

but we were lucky to say yes to the price not knowing where we were going to stay due to a Hotel website and how lucky were we!!!! The West Wind Inn was amazing! Close to the beach/ pool and our room was big/ clean/ we had a screened enclosed patio and a place to eat breakfast and lunch.
When we asked if the room was available for another night, we were told it was. When I asked if, they would honor the rate we paid, the women asked her boss who looked at our price and said "NO". That was "NO" without any explanations or an apology. We all felt alittle akward,atleast I did/ maybe she was having a bad day ..... so we only stayed one night! But it was a great day and night! EVERYONE ELSE THERE WAS WONDERFUL ..SO THAT IS WHY I RATED SERVICE A VERY GOOD VERSUS EXCELLENT.
We would stay there again,...only after trying to get another great rate!!!!! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotts Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I called in advance to book. The conversation was chaotic, I had no idea whether I had booked for the dates I requested or not. The lady at the end of the phone was curt and unhelpful when I requested a quiet room...'well, all our rooms are quiet,' and a king bed (which was offered as a selection on their website), 'oh, a king bed? Well I don't know if we have a quiet room and a king bed.' I was staying for a conference but wanted to arrive a few days prior to it 'Oh you're arriving *before* it starts? Oh... .' - as if this was a problem.
Afterwards I left a voicemail to confirm the dates, to which I never received a response.
On the drive to the hotel from Fort Myers I warned my husband that we a) might have no reservation at all and b) We'd probably been put in some dark garret and c) the front desk staff was unhelpful.
It turned out we did have a correct reservation but we had indeed been put in a dark garret (#228) and the front desk staff - all three of them - went out of their way to continue to be unhelpful. When I saw where the room was on their map I asked to move to a room overlooking the beach.
I was told 'You asked for a quiet room with a king bed and that's what you've got.'
When I asked again to move I was told we could not as the hotel was full.
When we got to the actual room I could have cried. It was dark, dark, and more dark - all sun and sunlight blocked by a tree in front of the balcony. My husband went down to ask again to move and was told, again, that the hotel was full. He persisted, and was told there was a room further down the block (without a tree) but that was only available for a couple of nights, then we'd have to move back to #228. My husband explained that the room was dark and as I would be spending a good deal of time in it perhaps they could move me to one with more light - we'd be willing to pay more if necessary. Their response was 'What will your wife be doing in the room?'
We should have moved hotels but we didn't have time to look round for somewhere else. I also wanted to stay in the same hotel as the rest of the attendees at the conference.
I never got my room cleaned in the 8 days I was there - housekeeping works to an apparently inflexible schedule whereby my room was cleaned around 2pm - when I was always back in it. I ended up doing the cleaning and emptying the bins myself.
The bathroom was tiny - along the lines of 'if you open the shower door, it almost hits the toilet, if you open the bathroom door, it almost hits the toilet, so there's a fair amount of opening and closing of doors and stepping over the toilet. There's no bath but the shower is large and good. It also leaked all over the floor.
Other stuff -
We had breakfast in the Normandie restaurant once and it was good (omelette and oatmeal). We had dinner there once (only available on a Friday and Saturday nights) and it was indifferent/good. At dinner the waitress was lovely, at breakfast the guy was harassed.
Good things about the room - the a/c & heating appliance work effectively if noisily (you couldn't sleep through it), there are a small refrigerator and microwave. There are tumblers (2) wine glasses (2), cups (2), tea bags (Liptons, black) and coffeemaker, a large bowl but no plates or cutlery.
There is a boiler in the somewhat make-shift closet, along with an iron and ironing board. There are plenty of hangers.
There was a strong wireless signal around the pool but a poor signal in the room. There is a computer room (you get the key from the front desk; you're allowed in for 30mins - they time you at the front desk). You can print in the computer room (best to email docs to yourself and print from email); I tried downloading the printer software but the wireless signal was so weak it hadn't downloaded anything after 20minutes.
Overall, if the front desk staff hadn't been so lousy and my room so dark, I would have enjoyed the stay. As it was, when I checked out they asked me 'Did you enjoy your stay', 'I did not,' I replied. They didn't bother to ask why, which just about sums them up.

Room Tip: Avoid #228, pay extra and get a room that overlooks the sea. Or go somewhere else - there are loads...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!