“Very relaxing!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Medford Lakes, New Jersey, United States
“Very relaxing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

While small, the room was very very clean. The bathroom was recently renovated and nice, but small. We enjoyed the beautiful view of the pool and the gulf from our lanai. The people at the front desk were very nice. The process for renting bikes and beach umbrellas and chairs was very easy. The pool bar was great and the food at the restuarant was surprisingly very good. We enjoyed our stay immensly and would seriously consider a return trip in the future. Only area for improvement would be the look of the hotel from the outside (seemed a bit run down) and the mattress, pillows and sheets all could use an update. The beach was small and full of shells, but the water was beautiful and we had several sightings of dolphins.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor to ensure a good view of the gulf.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Essex, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

We loved our stay at WW Inn. Our room faced the gulf and the screened in porch was wonderful. The kitchenette was great, we used it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Especially helpful b/c the food on the island has been so disappointing. The cleaning service did a beautiful job every day. Only complaint, very weak toilet! The pool is the best, not a chlorine pool but I think must use a saline filtration? It the best pool water I've ever swam in. Pool bar is great, expensive but strong drinks. Front desk ladies very accommodating. We never tried the food but maybe next time! Beach lovely!

• Stayed April 2012
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is my tenth year visiting Sanibel and have always stayed at West Wind Inn. The main reason to stay is its proximity to the beach. In my experience, the rooms have been clean and the breakfasts been good. However, this past week something has changed. The cleanliness of my room was not what I would expect...specifically, I thought the bathroom needed attention in that the floor had sand on it and a hair was in the soap dish. However, the biggest disappointment were the people at the front desk. Never once did I feel welcome. When I called to order lounge chairs and an umbrella for the beach the woman awkwardly laughed and offered what I thought was a very curt response. When I asked to extend my stay I was given another curt response. I also thought it interesting that never once did anyone at the front desk say to me welcome back because they had no idea I was a repeat customer, which is something I would think management would want to know. It wasn't until my wife and I walked into the Normandie restaurant that our food server recognized us and said "Welcome Back" I'm not the kind that likes to complain...I just don't go back.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of the ocean, ask for Rooms 250 or 251.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Monona, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was a wonderful place to stay, yet too low-key to even call a "hotel"! We had a beautiful ocean view room with a king-size bed, screened porch, kitchenette, flat screen T.V., full-size refridgerator, and a charming little bathroom with great lighting!!! The front desk staff was very friendly, and housekeeping was on top of things! The only complaints I would have is that there was an annoying flickering light outside of our room that no one bothered to fix, some bugs got into our room, not much privacy on porches, and the hotel itself isn't really close to anything except for other hotels and instant beach access. Overall, I would return there, it is definitely paradise to most!!!

• Stayed April 2012
, General Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
What a nice review! Thank you. It's gratifying to read your stay was so enjoyable. Sorry about the flickering light. Did you mention it to our staff during your stay? We would have seen to fixing it had we known, and had a quick fix been possible. But we are pleased to learn it was a minimal annoyance and did not appear to affect your overall satisfaction with your stay. Thank you. -
Renee Affourtit, General Manager
Sumter, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This was our 3rd visit to the West Wind Inn and we were very disappointed this time. Our room was clean the prior visits but this time the bathroom was unacceptable. We arrived very late due to bad weather and my husband had to actually clean the toilet before we could use it even though it had a sanitized strip across it. The next morning I noticed hair in the shower which was just gross. This is not an inexpensive hotel so we expected the bathroom to be clean. We left the next morning to visit Busch Gardens and returned around 10:30 pm to find our room had not been serviced. Trash still in the cans, bed unmade, no clean towels and dirty towels were we left them that morning and to make matters extremely worse there were ants everywhere. My husband had to throw out all the food we brought along with the rest of the trash. When he went to the office to let the desk clerk know about the ants he was given a plastic unmarked (except for the word "ants") spray bottle and told someone would come to the room the next day. I would never treat a guest in my home that way and sure don't appreciate having to spray for bugs in a hotel I've paid to stay in. We stayed 6 days and with the room situation aside we love the location, the beautiful pool with the pool bar for drinks and food you can order and not have to leave the pool area. We have rented bikes onsite which is very convenient and again the location can't be beat. Upon check out my husband discussed our concerns with the manager who with each concern apologized and said other than that was everything ok? I always check TripAdvisor reviews before staying someplace new and that is the reason I am being totally honest about the cleanliness of the room. Hopefully these issues will be corrected for future guests - we will be staying elsewhere when we make our annual trip to Sanibel.

Room Tip: The rooms with the updated bathrooms are much nicer than the rooms that have not been remodeled.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Not that I was having a honeymoon, but it sure felt that way, the arrival was amazing. I mentioned my first name of the reservation and they knew exactly who I was and for how long I was staying. I was provided with a map of the hotel, the area where we were going to stay and where we should park.

In addition I was provided with a guide to the area and best restaurants for dinner, breakfast in case we wanted to eat elswhere.

The room was cozy and just a minute from the beach, as we were getting in in the evening we got to see the sunset.

The pool warm and a good size, the pool bar, was ok...but we didn't come for the bar.

The beach wonderful, the walk could not have been more private and romantic, the collection of shells a great experience. And yes....I am coming back

Room Tip: I didn't rate fitness center, because we did not come to this hotel for a fitness center and we...
, General Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you. A "honeymoon" standard is an interesting one. That is an event when everything must be as perfect as possible. So we appreciate your reference to that standard when evaluating your West Wind Inn experience. Actually, we have had lots of honeymooners over the years. They appreciate, as you did, the romance of our quiet uncrowded Sanibel beach. Thank you again for raising the subject. Come see us again. -
Renee Affourtit, General Manager

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!