“Convenient for short stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Sussex UK
“Convenient for short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our third stay here and it delivered what we expected. A clean, basic room, the beach right on the doorstep with beach chairs and towels. Hotel is located at the start of the island so very convenient if you are short of time, check in quickly, then on to the beach. There is a pot of coffee on the go all the time which is very handy for an early walk on the beach or returning from a restaurant in the evening. The air conditioning is very noisy which disturbed my husband so much he turned it off, and then the heat woke me up so I turned it back on. The island is.very laid back but sadly charges car parking in many places. even out of season. This is not a 5 star luxury hotel but I found it very easy to quickly relax and it was not expensive in October. Okay for a short stay, not really suitable for a long stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Danny A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Sanibel Island, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for staying with us! I have reported to trouble with the a/c unit in that room. Thanks for your comments, we hope to see you again!
danny.adams@att.net

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Shelby Township, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Sanibel is a small, charming island with a single main road. It's very laidback and quiet. We stayed for two nights in October after enjoying a full-service resort in Marco Island. The Holiday Inn was a two-story motel. Despite our top tier hotel status, my husband and I received a room on the first floor. It was clean with double beds and a refrigerator, but we looked out onto the parking lot as most rooms do. There are only a handful of rooms that face the pool/Gulf. The pool area was nice as was the beach and comp chairs. Incredible shells on the beach - the best part! We made the best of it, but not likely to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Danny A, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Sanibel Island, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for giving us a chance and for your comments.
Warrenville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

At check-in the clerk at the front desk seemed like she couldn't care less if we were there. She told us our room is on the second floor. When we found out there is no elevator, we asked to move to the first floor. She said there are none available, then asked if the second floor is ok. We had no choice! But nobody checked into the first floor rooms! There were vacant all night. Then she hands us a piece of paper to read, and it tells us that we might be bitten by "no-see-ums". Little bugs that bite and cause you to itch. The location is great, but I will never stay at this Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: No elevator, and bugs that bite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
So sorry for your treatment at the front desk; without you nobody gets to work at the front desk. That we will fix and I assure you not the norm here. There are no elevators and sometimes at dawn and dusk no-see-ums can be bothersome. We choose to inform our guests, some folks are never bothered by them, others are. Easy to avoid, thus the hand-out. Thank you for your comments.
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Just got back from a stay at the Holiday Inn Sanibel Island. Still a bit conflicted on my feelings of the place, but my experience leaned more toward the good. The bad things were mostly minor annoyances, nothing that would prevent me from staying here again.

The good - the hotel is quaint and charming and was nicely decorated for the holidays. I never felt like it was just a run of the mill chain hotel. There's a lovely little courtyard and fountain outside and decorative brick drive. The beach area had a couple hammocks and a ping pong table in addition to the pool and bar. They supplied nice beach chairs, which is a rarity as most hotels give you junk that is falling apart from years of wear and tear. The chairs were already set out on the beach in the mornings for us so all you had to do was take your pick. There were plenty of chairs to go around (also a rarity) and some had a built in canopy if you wanted to keep the sun at bay.

We stayed in the 2 bed suite. The room was large and the beds/couches/pillows were comfy. They provided us with plenty of bath towels, and also a few beach towels - a nice touch. The flat screen TV was HUGE! We had a small balcony that opened up to the drive out front. We didn't deal with the staff much as we are not needy travellers, but the interaction that we did have with them was pleasant. The water pressure in the shower was phenomenal!

The not so good - housekeeping was definitely lacking. When we arrived I felt like the laminate floor was a bit sticky, but chalked it up to humidity. Later in the day I had put lotion on my feet and walked on the rug - bad idea! My feet were covered in dirt and grit that had obviously not been cleaned up prior to our arrival. I doubt the carpet was vacuumed and if it was they need a new vacuum cleaner. The air vents had a layer of black dust stuck to them, which to some degree I understand since the A/C is probably constantly on, but it doesn't take much to wipe down with a damp rag every now and again.

The kitchenette was a letdown. Coffee maker was corroded, mini fridge froze EVERYTHING even after turning the temp as high as it would go, the "bowls" were really plates that were about 1.5" deep. Trying to eat cereal out of them was an adventure, especially with our frozen milk chips on top. The silverware was just an array of what I'm assuming other guests had left there over the years. There were plenty of cooking utensils but nothing to cook with except the microwave. The cabinets were junk particleboard with broken plastic handles etc...something you would expect to see in a dormitory.

The murphy beds were also made with cheap wood which I found to be offputting, especially when the rest of the furniture in the room looked so nice. The fact that they are murphy beds is pointless as this is a hotel and not an apartment and the doors to the bed just get in the way and prevent useful things like nightstands from being able to be used. I sleep with a fan and had to wedge a chair against the bed each night. There is a little lip that sits over the bed that the fan could have fit on but there are no outlets close to it, also rendering it virtually useless.

Our room was located directly above the front desk area and all day and night we heard the door below banging shut. The addition of a soft door closer would be a fabulous and affordable investment!

Overall I would stay here again. Like I said, the "bad" things were more annoyances than anything else. The housekeeping needs improved upon but the location cannot be beat and the grounds were quiet, relaxing and beautiful. I hope to return again someday with my husband as I think he will love it too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your detailed comments! I have shared them with management, housekeeping, and staff. Certainly our goal is to eliminate the annoyances to enhance the experience. You will help us do just that. Thank you.
Cotacachi, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Very comfortable room with many extras such as bag to collect shells, coffee maker, refrigerator, beach towels, super comfortable bed. Ocean view / pool view. Great beach. The Bloody Mary's at the Tikki bar outside near the pool. Plenty of beach lounge chairs directly on the beach along with hammocks on the hotel grounds. We had a late night hamburger in the restaurant which was great and so large that I could only eat 1/2. I wish we could have stayed longer.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The grounds around this hotel are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in one of the two suites they have, and it was absolutely beautiful and seems decorated by a world-class designer inside. Nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. However the air-conditioning didn't kick on until it was very hot in there, and I was sweating in my bed, then it blew really cold air on me from a vent in the ceiling right over the bed. The pull out couch mattress is not adequate for sleeping on, the springs can be felt right through the mattress. Recommend for a couple who both sleep in the king bed, which was very comfy, not for four people. Housekeeping was very good. The toilet paper and tissues they supply are like sand paper. The sink drain in the bathroom was clogged when we checked in, they took care of the problem right away.

The desk staff with the exception of a couple people were sort of cold. One nice woman did take off our charges for a bicycle we rented through the hotel that broke and we had to walk it back, plus the charges for the other bicycle that didn't break. That was nice of her. One of the managers daytime was a very nice lady.

The "heated pool" was ice cold. The beach was o.k. Free beach chairs were nice. It was very quiet all around the whole resort, relaxing.

The restaurant for the hotel is very pretty inside and food is very good. The computer in the lobby is only for printing out boarding passes, you can't get any other web sites, doesn't make sense to me. First Holiday Inn I've been to like that. So bring portable devices that work on their wi-fi or plan not to have web access while there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

my experience with this hotel....sorry...motel was not very good.If you plan on swimming in the pool,brace yourself...they obviously are trying to save money by not heating it.I also found out that the maintenance man who seems to be around the pool area and right outside my room likes to chain smoke,so if you dont mind cigarrette smoke constantly while on vacation, then this shouldnt be a problem.also if you dont mind standing in 4 inches of waste water while showering then this place is for you.if waste water showers offend you you can do like i did and complain and then have some snot nosed kid argue with you over how it could have been fixed,and that a plumber coming into your room with a rotor rooter snake it out while your kids are still sleeping shouldnt bother me.any way they did offer to take 10 dollars off the bill for this minor problem.I actually spoke with the manager and she "upped it" to 25 dollars.this a huge discount of at least 5 %. so I guess I should be thankful.oh by the way, the grounds are kept up nice and the rooms are clean.they even let you use the bikes that they have for a small rental fee.

Room Tip: dont ask for "gulf front" these are right on the pool and bar area.save your money and dri...
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments; I have shared them with management and staff.
danny.adams@att.net

Been to Holiday Inn Sanibel Island? Share your experiences!