“Glad we tried it - something good for everyone” 4 of 5 stars

+1 239-395-1263
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Ashburn VA
“Glad we tried it - something good for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

We ate here on a whim after bypassing another local restaurant. The place is completely remodeled and looks fresh and spacious. Island drinks were good, ahi tuna appetizer and buffalo calamari appetizer were a hit. Our party of 5 tried the grouper tacos, chicken parm, salmon, drunken grouper and beef on weck. All were tasty and filling. Fresh bread was served by Jordan, he was attentive and friendly. Wish we had found this one earlier in our stay - may have repeated our visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Restaurant in Sanibel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We have came to this restaurant 2 times in 4 days it is really that exceptional! We have LOVED everything..... from the Crabcakes, Ahi Tuna, Fish Tacos, and the chefs special last night (a chicken and red pepper stuffed homemade ravioli), even their ceasar salad has an amazing dressing! We spoke to the owner George last night, just to tell him what we thought, and thanked him for bringing such a wonderful place to Sanibel. We have no doubt that this restaurant will be here for many years to come for us and others to enjoy!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, PA
“Definitely try it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We wanted seafood while on Sanibel and since it is right in the name we tried it and were not disappointed! The clam chowder was wonderful- not too thick, not too thin ( and we bought extra to bring home for dinner!) Also the grouper tacos were in my opinion, the best ones we have so far on this trip and we have had a lot. They were not fried like most others, but blackened which just gave even more flavor to the taco. Our children only had the pasta and meatballs, but this is the only meal they have actually gobbled up at a restaurant in the past couple weeks. And how can I forget how spacious the restaurant is. We like the charm and coziness of the beachy places, but it is nice to spread out too.

Pennsylvania
“Best food in Sanibel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I have came down to Sanibel 3 times. Not 1 restaurant has stood out and we've been to many. But we just had the BEST meal! The fish tacos ,Ahi Tuna, and cajun chicken alfredo were amazing! I'm a picky eater and I'd recommend this to anyone!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, Ohio
“Everyone here had a great meal but me.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I wanted to give George and Wendy's a poor review. I REALLY did. But, it wouldn't be fair. I was the only person in my family to have a bad experience, and, it wasn't really THAT bad - it was more...disappointing.
The wait staff was spectacular. We were taken very good care of. Our waiter was training the night we were there and did a very good job. Our drinks came quickly. By the way, this is one of the only restaurants on the island to carry higher proof liquors (many carry none at all) that only certain Caribbean cocktails (ex: Dark and Stormy) can be made from...if that's something you're interested in.
The Cesar salad that my mother ordered was spectacular! I mean, it was outright delicious! What set it apart from the standard Cesars one finds most places was the fresh anchovies, finely chopped into the mix. The flavor was subtle, but unmistakably unique. I'm told this is the way Cesars are supposed to be made.
My wife raved about her seafood pasta, and my father praised his steak.
I however, ordered the simplest dish on the menu: fried shrimp. It was horrible. I liken the breading to that of Bob Evans. It was textured and crunchy on the outside and doughy on the inside. I was so distracted by the breading that I couldn't taste the shrimp inside to enjoy it. For a $20+ meal, I was highly disappointed. I have been informed, though, that many people enjoy that style of breading. So, this may simply be a personal preference.
Please don't let my experience discourage you to eat at George and Wendy's. The atmosphere is nice and the staff is very friendly. But, if you're picky about your breading like me, you may want to choose a different entree.

• Visited June 2012