“Satisfactory stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Milford, Connecticut
“Satisfactory stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Yes the beach access is convenient and the sunset and sunrises are available to see but all the hotels in the area offer this with even much better amenities and services.. I give the office staff an above average rating because they were courteous, friendly and somewhat helpful with regular patron questions for directions and towels and such. The cleaning staff were friendly but I heard them arguing with each other a few times which made me feel uncomfortable. The room was clean upon arrival and the sheets and towels were very white. I noticed an outside service comes to take the dirty linens away and bring the clean ones. I am used to having the bedding made daily and dirty towels replaced daily which was not done. Our second day's stay there nothing was done except for some clean towels placed on the kitchen table with a note stating that due to the Thanksgiving holiday they were only going to perform a light cleaning. They never replaced the wet bath mat the whole for days that we were there, they never vacuumed the floors and when we mentioned that the remote control was not working, I think the batteries might have been dead, it took two days to get a new remote control. I feel since I was paying full price for the room on Thanksgiving Day I should be getting the same full service I expected. I didn't get a discount for light cleaning service that day??? The breakfast offered was horrible! The coffee was weak, and the few cereals and hard bagels and pastries were a waste of time. You would be better off going out for breakfast or preparing it yourself in your rooms efficiency kitchen. Some positive points, the pool was nice, the grounds were nice, parking was convenient, use of bikes was convenient, there was a couple of old kayaks on the side by the beach area and we didn't know if they were for patrons of the hotel use or not and what we had to do to use them. Probably had to leave a $1000.00 deposit on your credit card to use them??? One other major inconvenience was that the Fire alarm kept going off at 2:00 am and waking us up. The front desk attendant apologized and said it had to be reset somehow or something but it took two nights of getting woken up with a the loud buzzing alarm and flashing light at two am. Not good!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlie W, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Susan R, I would like to start off by saying that I am terribly sorry your recent stay at Sunset Beach Inn was anything less than spectacular. I am ashamed and concerned that our staff caused you to feel uncomfortable while you were with us. Please understand that I am not taking this likely; I am displeased that our housekeeping staff did not service your room properly during your stay, and please understand that I am handling this matter personally. I hope that we have another opportunity to serve you, if there is anything further I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 239-472-1700.

Charlie Watkins
Assistant General Manager
The Inns Of Sanibel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Normal, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My dad and I stayed here 4 nights in late October.

Pros
- Great beach access with complimentary umbrellas
- Beautiful views of sunrises and sunsets
- Free breakfast
- Small kitchen in room
- Large room
- Screened porch
- Nice pool
- Free bikes to borrow
- Clean room - housekeeping did an amazing job keeping up with the sand we seemed to keep tracking in
- Good TV reception
- Good AC unit
- Complimentary beach towels you can check out from the front desk

Cons
- Some definite wear and tear showing on the property (chipped concrete, old chairs on porch, rust in the freezer)
- Simple breakfast - gets repetitive quickly
- No lighting around pool - it closes at dusk.
- Free bikes are not the greatest. You get what you pay for. My bike's seat kept dropping down and the handlebars would move up and down too. We made do, but not comfy for long rides.
- No onsite restaurant or cafe. After breakfast you must leave the Inn if you want to eat (or hit Baileys/Jerrys and stock up your kitchen in your room).

Overall
- We liked Sunset Beach Inn. There is definitely some updates that could be addressed around the property, but we found the room and pool area to be clean and safe.
- The staff was friendly and answered our many questions about the island.
- Suggest watching the sunset and THEN going out to supper. There's not much to do around the Inn after dark other than watch tv or sit on your porch and listen to the surf.
- We walked from the back of the Inn right onto the beach. Loved the immediate access.
- We'd consider staying here again. It was quiet and the rooms were comfortable.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a porch facing the pool and beach area. Ask for an upper floor room for a bet...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Charlie W, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Greg_Dianne_MC, thank you for staying with us at Sunset Beach Inn! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments are greatly appreciated, and I am proud to inform you that we are currently in the process of taking care of some renovations and maintenance in order to keep our beautiful property updated and comfortable for our guests. I look forward to your next visit so you can see all of the wonderful changes being made.
Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I decided to take a last minute jaunt to Sanibel Island and based on the reviews and pricing, we chose Sunset Beach Inn. The room was immaculate, staff was friendly and courteous and the price was right. I love Sanibel Island and my only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer. The room had a fridge, stove, table and chairs and our room had a balcony with seating overlooking the garden area. I am an early morning riser especially as I don't sleep well when I travel. The Inn's exterior is well lit making we feel safer as I wandered onto the beach at 5:30 a.m. under a starlit sky. It was a perfect stay and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlie W, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Michelle E, thank you for staying with us at Sunset Beach Inn. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay with us and take in the beautiful view that our property has to offer! Come back and see us again soon.
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

Loving our brief stay here. Great location on the beach. Nice sized pool with lovely landscaping. Free breakfast, bicycles, & lounge chairs with umbrellas on the beach. Enjoying our screened in balcony & kitchen with full sized fridge. Friendly & helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2014
Charlie W, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
LuluLolly, thank you for your fantastic review of Sunset Beach Inn! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take in all the beautiful landscaping of our property, while utilizing some of our many amenities. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
Aalborg, Danmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two night.
The room was very nice and big, and with everything. There wa a small kitchen if you wanted to cook yourself.
Great heated pool area.
It is places right at the beach, where you have the most beautiful sunset.
The staff is very helpfulld and especially Michelle was very helpfull and joyfull.

i would recommend this hotel anytime.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlie W, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2014
689sdow, thank you for your wonderful review of Sunset Beach Inn! I am glad to hear that you were able to experience all the amenities that we offer. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

we booked a beach front room and it was perfect..not to far from the beach but steps away!!!
We stayed from September 26th to 28th, the front desk was very knowledgable and we loved the free bike rental and took advantage of getting around
Santibel island.
The rooms were clean and loved the free breakfast which I brought to our room and we were able to enjoy on our little patio to view the sunrise...it was perfect and we went to walk on the beach to collect shells and enjoy all the birds that were at the beach.
We want to return to Sanibel again soon. A beautiful honeymoon area to stay.

• Stayed September 2014
Charlie W, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
Mrsoct62, congratulations on your honeymoon!! We are so honored that you chose to spend your special weekend with us at Sunset Beach Inn; I'm glad we were able to meet all of your needs. Thank you so much for your kind review, we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Sanibel Island.
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

Wow! As usual, everything was great. After visiting this island for the past ten years, we never get tired of coming here. The staff, Kim and Michelle especially, have always been extremely helpful. They know the area and are more than happy to answer any questions about any of the activities available. They are very friendly, enthusiastic, have great personalities, and it's a pleasure to work with them. They are part of the reason we keep coming back. The rooms have always been immaculate. The housekeeping staff have always been friendly and efficient. The way the building is situated makes you feel like the beach is a few steps from your room. It's wonderful to come up from the beach and fall into the pool. Keep up the good work, everyone. See you soon!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Crtrptrdg, thank you for your wonderful review of Sunset Beach Inn! As a repeat guest, it is our pleasure to continue serving you year after year. I am so happy to hear that Kim and Michele (among others) were able to take care of you once again! Thank you kindly, we look forward to seeing you again next time.

Been to Sunset Beach Inn? Share your experiences!