“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Noblesville, Indiana
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you are looking for a "resort" experience then the Sunset Beach Inn is not for you. The hotel is quite dated and the service not the best. The maid service was quite loud, the maids as they are cleaning during the day spend a lot of time talking VERY loudly to each other about their personal lives! Also, our room was not very clean, I dropped something on the floor and when I retrieved it from under the bed I could not believe the dirt and fuzzy things under there, I did not want to call for cleaning as I was concerned that it would be in the air...also the bathroom floor had some gunk on it. There was a "office chair" (with rollers!) in the middle of our room that had no purpose at all, and the other upholstered chair was stained and ripped! Not what I expect for $180 per night. Our TV went out and the maintenance guy finally got it working again.
What they refer to as their "breakfast" items were old fruit, bad coffee and stale bagels, yum.
The paint was peeling off in several areas of the building and trash was heaped below our window which was supposed to look out over the Gulf....the crows found that area to be delectable.

Room Tip: Good luck, very few rooms with good views or amenities
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our requirements for this trip were to find lodging that would be clean, comfortable, and affordable. We didn't want to pay for amenities that we probably wouldn't use. This place exceeded expectations. Very friendly staff. Great garden view room. Comfortable beds. Clean room. Mini-kitchen with full fridge, stove, oven, microwave, dishes, pots/pans, etc. was great. Bailey's General Store just a bike ride away. (Bikes are free too which is great.) Just a few things to prepare you for. The free continental breakfast is beverages, carbs (breads, cereals, granola bars), and fruit (apples). It would've been nice to have some yogurt or protein of some sort, but that's minor...and the store is close (and reasonably priced). The water pressure in the shower was great. The pillows were really soft, feathery. I prefer a more firm pillow, but they gave us plenty so it worked out. I'm pretty picky when it comes to hotels, but for the price, this was really an excellent value! I highly recommend and would return. Sanibel is fabulous! I am SO glad we picked Sanibel over the other nearby beaches we had considered. Truly a unique and special place where life slows down and peace abounds! If you are looking for a hopping night life, this might not be the place for you. There are a few spots that stay open late, but most of the island shuts down at 9pm. We thought that was great!

Room Tip: Don't pick the "Sanibel" room. While we didn't actually see one of these rooms, t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and I wish it could have been longer. On arrival we were upgraded to a room with a balcony and it was a lovely clean and modern spacious mini apartment. The kitchen was well equipped with the basics and the bathroom was clean and had good water pressure in the shower. The beds were comfortable and the TV had an excellent selection of channels and a DVD player which was good as there wasn't much to do in the evenings so we had movie nights (take your own DVD's).
There is a heated pool with sun loungers which was often empty so we had it all to ourselves and the amazing beach is literally 30 seconds away.
There were communal BBQs and a laundry which was useful - it is €3 per wash and €1.50 for the tumble dryer but the machines only take quarters and the reception desk didn't have many so make sure you take some if you are planning to use the laundry.
It was really peaceful EXCEPT in the mornings - we were woken up by doors slamming and people making noise in the apartments above us which was annoying but there was no noise at night or in the afternoons.
The maids were really friendly and did the washing up which was handy. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We stayed for the day after checking out and they said that we could use the restrooms in reception and the pool for the day.
I liked the breakfast- it was a selection of pastries, bagels and croissants in reception that you could take back to your room or the pool to eat and great coffee. They also provide complimentary soft drinks in reception all day.
When we arrived there were ice lollies in our freezer which I thought was a really nice touch. The complimentary toiletries were really nice and they provided loads of good size towels which were refreshed each day.
I would love to stay here again and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Get the rooms that overlook the beach at the end or at least one with a balcony
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The best thing that this property has going for it is that it is super close to the beach! Like steps away! Excellent location. It is in the middle of the island and at the place where it juts out... we had great shelling.. but as you know... each day is different and each beach is different, it all depends on tides and times... That being said...
We stayed in the GulfFront rooms, hoped for a king, got a double on the second floor. Not a major issue. (ended up working out ok... because my husband got a cold)

The room was clean but the ammenities needed attention... The socket in the bathroom didn't work. The shutters needed to be repaired and the paint in the bathroom needed to be redone, it was coming off in places. I noticed some spider webs in the corners of the room and a few dead roaches on the floor near the door on the second day we were there. I immediately went to the front desk and brought this to their attention. They told me that the other issues would be taken care of and that the dead critters were from a recent exterminators visit. So glad i didn;t see live ones... but truthfully, in south Florida to not see critters can be a blessing and a suprise. Not that i wanted to see them in my room, was kind of grossed out.

We didn't use the pool but it was large, clean and had lots of chaises.
Have to say I was most dissapointed with the bikes, yes i know they are free for use, But they were piled in a heap and most were unusable. (had flats ect.) I did bring this to their attention and they stated that the company that they used had taken some bikes for repair and hadn't brought them back..., truth be told, all of the bikes could use to be replaced. If you have your own bike and really like to ride, bring it!

The cleaning staff was very kind and made a point of saying hello and asking us where we were from.
The morning breakfast was a really basic continental spread with juices, muffins and such. Wish there was a place to sit and enjoy. We stayed at Song of The Sea last time and enjoyed the courtyard seating.

Kitchen was well stocked with utensils and such, nice size fridge, held all our fresh juice as well as restaurant left overs.
We stayed with the Winter Getaway package and had $75 resort credit which we ended up using on stuff in the gift shop,couldn't make use of the food credit as one of the sister resorts was remodeling and the other restaurant on property , though clean and well appointed, was empty upon our arrival.... went to the Island Cow instead! YUM!!!!

Reasonable Value for the Money..... but wouldn't run back... might try another property instead.

Room Tip: rooms that face the Gulf , are great, you get both the sunrise and sunset! Although they are directl...
Hinesburg, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

While traveling thru Florida, we decided to stay on Sanibel Island for a few days. Sunset Beach Inn had a vacancy at a reasonable price. The room we stayed in was in a separate building and was quite small, but comfortable. The breakfast was satisfactory, but they did not have decaf coffee in the lobby. We had to make our own and the staff never cleaned up the pot and mugs. Otherwise, the location was great and the staff was courteous and helpful. We were just a few steps from the beach and the pool. There was a shell washing area and shuffleboard. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but would want a bigger room in the future.

Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family booked the end room closest to the beach on the top floor. The location is amazing. There is nothing closer to the surf. The room was as promised, although it was showing clear signs of not being kept up. Torn curtains, stains, rust. The view from the balcony allowed us an unrivaled view of the sunset and a great view of our children playing on the beach.

However...from the start of our visit and throughout our visit, the service was consistently horrible. Rude. Unhelpful. Dishonest. Disrespectful. From the start this was a problem for us. Our room did not have enough pillowcases, they said that they were out. The next day we went to check out the kayaks that are promoted on the website and we were told "We are not using those anymore." We opted to use the bicycles, also promoted on the webiste, and we found them to be in a pile on the ground and most were broken and unrideable.

We went to use the laundry and it was a disgusting cellar below the hotel. Finally, we asked about how to use the promotional credits we were told about when we booked the trip. We wanted to use them at one of the 'sister' hotels promoted as part of the promotion. We were told a series of different stories at the front desk that started with the fact that it was our fault to not ask for this promotion when we checked in and that it could not be offered to us after we check in. In the end we were told that we would have to pay another $600 to get the $100 in credits and that we were probably confused by their reservations staff 'who could be over in India and don't know anything.' The next day the staff openly talked about us to other staff while we were getting coffee.

We'll be back to Sanibel, but we'll be finding another spot nearby the Sunset Beach Inn.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor and get the end rooms closest to the beach if available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The rooms at the Sunset Beach Inn are lovely. White bedspreads, spacious, with stove, fridge, sink, and table so you can eat in quite easily. The beds were not that comfortable but I will preface that with I'm a bit Princess and the Pea. The pool is a great size and very comfortable with cushions on wood chaises. The beach is not large, but still great for shelling, and the location is good. The problem I had with the hotel was the staff. They did not really go out of their way to make sure you had a great time and maybe that's just the feel of the Island.....Yes, we got a free upgrade from the lowest floor which is almost underground....but my room was so far away from the beach and my view was of the tennis courts. I wouldn't have minded any of this except that they didn't look full to me. So when I asked if we could wait for a room closer to the ocean, they found one a few doors down but I gave up at that point. Okay, they don't call me Miss Fussbudget for nothing....but for the price of $200 per night, I expected more. This hotel was part of the Inns of Sanibel and this was the cheapest of those Inns. For the same price, I was looking at the Holiday Inn, and I think I might've liked it better. One of the reasons, I chose Sunset Beach Inn over the Holiday Inn was for the Continental Breakfast...but truthfully, it was cereal and juice and coffee and danish or doughnuts, and I might have liked having breakfast out more. I loved the maid who had a big bellowing voice that screamed hello at you when you left your room and intimated "Don't mess with me." For her, I might give this place another chance.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to see the ocean...I'm sure it will make all the difference.