“Sea shells...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Sanibel Island
New York City, New York
“Sea shells...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My daughter and i stayed at this hotel and was better than expected. The room had a small kitchen. (inlcuded a stove, oven, sink, coffee pot, toaster, Fridge with freezer). There was also a DVD player in the room which was convenient when we wanted to relax a night. (Theres a redbox in Jerrys Supermarket on Periwinkle Way)We also had a balcony overlooking the courtyard which was nice. We really didnt spend any time there. The hotel was heated which was nice to take a swim after we did some shelling. The hotel has beach access which was really convenient to go shelling. If you go really early in the morning you may spot some dolphins we were lucky enough to find them. Beware of the no-see-ums we got bitten early in the morning while shelling. If you do get bitten you can go to Island Pharmacy (i believe thats the name near a CVS in Sanibel) to get an ointment to STOP the itching. The person at the front desk was very helpful to provide the name of this pharmacy. Benadryl didnt work :( so go get this special ointment. The hotel also has a shell washing station which is great to clean all the shells before you take them home. They had bikes you can use however, we didnt use them. They have a continental breakfast which was ok. Great hotel for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here once before about two years ago and it was very nice. This time it really needs some updating and cleaning. The kitchen floor was dirty between the stove and refrigerator. Dishes were chipped and not even a full set for 4. Also, had a gulf view room with two queens (which we asked for a King) and the one queen bed was so close to the slider it was almost impossible to get in the bed or open and close the curtains. The room was #109.
Just a note to let you know all the beach in front of the hotel is gone from Wendy the hurricane.

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I have been coming to Sanibel for 15 years, 3 to 4 times a year and this is the first times to stay here and will never again.

First off the room was saturated by the awful smell of Fabuloso (a favorite cleaning product in the Latin community).

Secondly, the place was filthy and unkept. The carpets haven't been shampooed in a very long time and covered with stains as are the upholstered chairs. The curtains were smeared with what i hope was chocolate. The bed sheets had several tears.

Thirdly, the beach bikes were in terrible condition. The first I tried had a broken chain, the second was missing a pedal and the third was usable but didn't steer properly. The front desk lady couldn't understand how they could be in such poor shape since they were only 3 months old! BS. In all fairness my husband bike was ok and probably was only 3 months, but there was only a few bike in this condition and they were all large men's bikes.

Lastly, there was no beach or beach access due to hurricane sandy. It seems like the are the only property that was affected so badly. The water comes right up to a 8-10 ft cliff so you have to sneak on neighboring properties to go find beach space. I realizes this is beyond their control however I feel they should have disclosed this to their guest prior to arriving.

I will make note that I am a former hotel manager and that many of the issues are basic maintenance problems that can easily be correct. This place could benefit from a new manager and director of engineering that care.

The staff was friendly and the property was updated and the room we had, 118, was large. Also the cost was very reasonable.

I will be sure to book my room at Casa Ybel before I am shut out next time we come to Sanibel.

Runnemede
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

First the bad news, hurricane Wendy has wiped the entire beach in front of the hotel. The good news is you have great views of the nighty sunset over the gulf. The room was very large and clean. It had a nice living area with a large kitchen and nice dining room table. Also there were two screened in porches to relax on. The outside is in need of a remodel but it's ok for an older property, and it has a large swimming pool. I would go back again if and when the beach comes back

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Voorhees, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Since we lost our original reservations due to Hurricane Sandy, we had to split lodging this week. The Sunset Beach Inn was our destination for the last two nights. The room we had #200 is the size of an apartment with a separate bedroom and full kitchen. There is a lovely screened in porch. The property is nice with a large pool. Each morning they serve a continental breakfast in the front office. There are laundry facilities and decent free wifi. The facility is very quiet and when we returned from dinner at 10pm, it appeared that everyone was already sleeping. My only complaint is that no one told us that the beach washed away recently and there is no beach or beach access.

Room Tip: They have a few beach front rooms but all seem to have some beach views.
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am shocked to read all of these positive reviews...?? The location is wonderful although we never ventured out to the pool, tennis courts, or the beach as we were joining family at another upscale resort and only using this as a place to sleep. It appears our room had an attempt at a minor face lift...the bed was very soft but comfortable, linen nice, bath towels nice, large room, but everything else was rather old and out dated. The granite counters were truly just a top placed on top of old cabinetry and the bathroom sink was reinforced by unpainted plywood support pieces.The furniture and lighting looked like it was at least 30+ years old. Although it appeared clean my sandals were on my feet the entire time. The sliding glass doors were missing the locking Hardware on one side so your room was not secure. Thankfully there was an in room safe and anything else of value I took with me during the day. The staff appeared attentive, most notably the housekeeping ladies. HOWEVER, neither my husband nor myself could get past the overwhelming dank, mildew smell. We did not notice any mildew or water damage but from the minute we entered the room we were coughing and it made my chest hurt. The second night I sprayed the bed and pillows with perfume to make it bearable. We would never consider staying there again. Nor recommend it to anyone. We live in a beach community about 2 hours away and are aware of the humidity but I cannot understand how a family could stay and enjoy this resort for a week...???? Based on the website and the mostly glowing reviews, we were greatly disappointed the minute we opened the door to our room. We stayed in room 102.

Room Tip: The smell in #102 was overwhelming.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hotel guests beware! If you plan to leave the premises and return after 10pm on a Friday night you run the risk of being berated by the night auditor acting as hotel security. We were in town for a wedding and the resort where the wedding was taking place was booked. We choose Sunset Beach because it was close by and received good reviews. Each employee we encountered was beyond accommodating and made us feel right at home.

Friday night (our second night at Sunset Beach) we traveled to the other hotel for the rehearsal dinner, upon returning to Sunset Beach we were startled by a man aggressively accusing us of not being hotel guests as we entered the parking lot. This was an alarming way to be greeted back at your hotel where you are a guest. The man was insistent on contacting the authorities though we had our room keys in hand and looking back we should have let him. Where I come from two women in cocktail attire don't typically pose a threat to society. The harassment continued as we made our way to the front desk to "prove" we were paying guests. The man yelled, threw things, and charged at us as we decided to remove ourselves from the situation and retire back to our room. To his benefit Sunset Beach does not have surveillance on the premises, it would be my recommendation to the establishment to invest in something that will ensure your guests safety from your explosive night auditor. As a business owner myself I would never wish this experience on any of my customers let alone a stranger. If you plan enjoy what Sunset Beach has to offer I would advise booking your travel for a Saturday to Thursday stay and you will have a delightful experience.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Beach Inn? Share your experiences!