We spent a week at Sundial from June 4 through June 11 (family of 3, including parents and a college-student son).
We first visited a couple of years ago and we were excited to come back and see the renovations. The first couple of days were pretty rainy as the area got sideswiped by a tropical storm, but it actually turned out okay. We took the opportunity to catch up on sleep, watch movies, and order pizza (Island Pizza makes a tasty pie and the delivery is quick). Our room was impressively spacious and well-appointed, so being stuck inside wasn't particularly bothersome.
After that the days were nice -- warm and sunny, perfect for sitting by the pool, enjoying drinks from the bar (happy hour from 3 to 5) and doing some reading. To mix things up my son and I played ping-pong and took a bike ride (you can borrow a bicycle for free), and the beach is mere steps away if you want to swim in the gulf or do some shelling.
We didn't dine at the resort (too many great restaurants on the island!) so I can't speak for the food, but the bars are great and the bartenders provide efficient service.
I have only a couple of complaints, both minor: the housekeeping staff shows up way too early in the morning -- it's vacation and we like to sleep in! After the first morning we put up the Do Not Disturb sign permanently. All we really need from housekeeping is fresh towels, and since our room had a washer and dryer we just took care of it ourselves. I think housekeeping should wait until noon or so; most people will be at the pool or beach by then. The only other issue was the pillows, which were way too soft for my liking (I like a firm pillow, but obviously this is a personal preference so it may be just fine for some people).
Overall it was a great vacation and my wife and I will probably return in the fall when our son is back at school.
- Also Known As:
- Sundial Beach & Golf Hotel
- Sundial Beach & Golf Hotel Sanibel Island
- Sundial Beach And Golf Resort
- Sundial Beach Hotel
- Sundial Beach Resort
- Sundial Beach Sanibel Island
- Sundial Sanibel Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sanibel Island's most complete resort, Sundial Beach Resort & Spa, is the centerpiece of this unique barrier island off the southwest coast of Florida. Sanibel is two-thirds nature preserve providing visitors with an experience of Florida the way it used to be. Sanibel Island is a natural playground where you can feel the white sand beach between your toes, take a refreshing swim in our blue-green waters of the Gulf of Mexico or one of Sundial's five pools and bike the miles of paved paths around the island. The Resort offers a wide array of activities for all ages including swimming in 5 heated pools, tennis courts, kayaks, bikes and an array of fun family activities by the pool. One- and two-bedroom Residences feature options for views and amenities and conveniences of home in a tranquil, tropical setting. These Residences offer a full kitchen with housewares, living/dining area, full baths and ample space that is ideal for couples or larger families. Best of all, Sanibel's pristine shell-dotted beaches are just steps away. The variety of dining venues are sure to please, offering indoor and outdoor dining options and delicious menu selection. Sea Breeze Café offers casual dining and local, fresh ingredients with a true Sanibel Island tropical flair. You’ll also enjoy the new poolside eatery, Turtle's Beach & Pool Bar, serving up delicious signature drinks and dishes. Waterview provides the perfect private dining and event space, with ample space and spectacular Gulf views out of the floor-to-ceiling windows. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Amex, Tingo, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Sundial Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.