“Pine Cove 1a” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Cove of Sanibel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Pine Cove of Sanibel
You added Pine Cove of Sanibel to your Saves list
2501 W Gulf Dr., Sanibel Island, FL 33957   |
Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Buffalo, New York
“Pine Cove 1a”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Let me start by saying, we love, love, love the Pine Cove complex. We've stayed in 1c many times prior to the current owners, and it was very nice then, sounds even better now.
This year we were in 1a (because 1c is always booked these days), which was our second stay in that particular unit. During those trips,the condo has been up for sale- still was when we left.

On a positive note, there have been some remodeling upgrades, like nice new furniture, paint, vanity & shower changes in the master, and guest bath. Some of the design changes seem not well thought out, but maybe that's me. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but does make me scratch my head, in a "what were they thinking? kind of way."
The view is wonderful, and the morning sun in winter is a delight when coming from the frigid North.

But more than anything, I would warn anyone who is planning to cook in more than eat out, this unit is not well stocked at all. Not a ladle in site, no real serving spoons/salad servers, no serated knife for bread etc.Luckily I brought a small sharp knife with me, but if we had grilled steak, it would have been a pain, since most of the knives are pretty dull. There were three wine glasses...total, so it was good only 2 of us drank wine. They did have new pots and pans, and dishes, both nice.

It was never the best stocked condo we've been in, but it's like they did an inventory, discarded stuff and never replaced it. If we were there two weeks, I would have had to gone to the Dollar store, or Goodwill for a few items. They did replace the very old lanai furniture with a wickerish set, but know that there is no dining table to eat outside. There is a small end table, and coffee table in the same plastic wicker material, which was fine for breakfast, but a major meal would be a balancing act.

Just saying be prepared if you are staying here, the extras are far and few between. I was surprised to find beach towels, they didn't allow access to them before, or maybe they just forgot to lock that particular cupboard.
No beach chairs, or umbrella provided. There were two air mattresses in the storage locker I assume were left by previous renters, but nothing else besides hardware stuff. We were lucky to pick up 2 used lounge chairs and an umbrella at Goodwill. A little rusty, but a bargain at $12ish total!
It irked me a little to leave them, we were going to bring them back to Goodwill, but knowing there were renters after us we decided to pass them on.

So all in all, the complex is wonderful, great pool and hot tub, pretty grounds, very convienently located as far as biking. The nearby public beach entrance never bothers us.
We will continue to stay somewhere at Pine Cove, and hope a new owner comes along and puts as much love and care as into 1a, as the owners upstairs in 1c.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

What a great experience, clean and everything you possibly need is present on arrival. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms makes it perfect for our family of four.

The views are breath taking and help you to relax completely, working with Janet (the owner) and Royal Shell is better than expected (quick replies, great service).

If we are in the neighborhood we definitely will return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
peprjack, Owner at Pine Cove of Sanibel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your great review! I appreciate the feedback about the sticky lock, and we are having that addressed. I am happy you had such a nice time, and hope to see you again!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We came back to this complex again because iit never fails to provide a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. We were in this unit before the new owners and liked it then. we loved it now! The remodel was well done and well thought out, i loved the new closet in the master bedroom! Not only is the place nice the owners are very attentive and well organized.
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was lucky enough to return to Pine Cove 303 this past month! I absolutely LOVE Sanibel Island, and this condo just makes it perfect. What a difference! The whole condo is completely remodeled. Brand new, clean, & gorgeous! The kitchen is much bigger, bright white, and the new lay-out makes it so much nicer. Everything in the kitchen is new too. The pots and pans, toaster, coffee maker, and I could even connect my phone to the iPod dock to play music though Bluetooth. I love the brand new appliances, and the refrigerator w/ ice maker is key! (Lots of cocktails from the wet bar!)

There are so many little details that are just beautiful. Both bathrooms are brand new with gorgeous tiling. I would LOVE that master bathroom in my house, but it so big it would never fit! (Plus the huge soaking tub.) All the furniture & rugs are brand new too; so cozy & comfortable. I love the master walk-in closet. It just feels like there’s so much more space to relax, and everything is so clean and bright.

My absolute favorite part of 303 is the view. You can see the gulf from almost anywhere you stand. I loved waking up that first morning, making breakfast while watching the sunrise, and eating on the screened-in porch, listening to the waves. And, the new patio doors slide 2/3 of the way open for the best unobstructed view. Pure paradise! It's quiet, and uncrowded, perfect for romance or family. I was lucky enough to go with just my husband to relax this trip!

We’re usually pretty active on vacations, but I have to admit that with the AC, 4 flat-screen HD TV’s, Wi-Fi, and that view, we spent a lot of time relaxing in the room. I can’t wait to go back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

What Fun! We loved this unit! The view is spectacular and the rooms are huge. We sat on the lanai every evening at sunset and looked over the dunes to the Gulf. It's secluded and private, but still near everything—shopping, restaurants, even Ding Darling. We’ll be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I liked the location of Pine Cove, less than 1/3 mile walk to the Bailey tract which is great for seeing wildlife, less than a mile to Bailey's market, Over Easy Café, etc. It's angled right on the beach so viewing the sunset is great. It's small, only 16 units, a very nice pool and hot tub with a covered decking area so you aren't constantly in the sun, very nice gas grills, and beautiful landscaping. Parking is covered. I wanted to like the unit (#303) but there was too much to overcome. I can't recommend staying in Pine Cove 303.

The pool and hot tub are in front of the unit, and the housing for the mechanics is just below the unit and we found it to be particularly noisy. You will have a not insignificant humming noise 24/7, and if you are sensitive to that kind of noise, it could be problematic. The noise gets more intense when the hot-tub is turned on and it drove me off the lanai at times. The pool maintenance guy comes most mornings between 6:30-6:45 and makes a fair amount of noise puttering with the mechanics, opening up the housing and providing all the wake up noise you may desire.

I was shocked with the lack of cleanliness of the unit itself. Basic housekeeping, such as cleaning the floors and the kitchen had been done, but there is a significant amount of "decorator items" that hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. The many silk foliage arrangements, bowls of smelly potpourri, and pillar candles were encrusted with dust and grime and soot. The baseboards, lampshades, tops of wall mounted hair dryers were likewise covered with an accumulation of dust. The wallpaper from the bathrooms had been removed and the rooms repainted, but the outlet covers and light switches were sticky from old wallpaper glue that hadn't been cleaned off. The dining room chairs are old white ultra suede and grimy and stained. A rotting lampshade in the living room put the final touches on the overall neglect of the place. Some of this may be the fault of the rental agency, but there is so much stuff in the unit that it would almost be impossible to keep clean.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We came back to Pine Cove because we found it to be exactly what we wanted last year, small, quiet, well maintained, amazing beach. This time we were in #303 and it was even better than the last time, found it a bit better maintained with no strange smells. The view of the beach is better being on the third floor. I found the reservation company very nice, easy to do business with and can't even begin to tell you how nice and caring the owner is!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family