“Beachside Townhome” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Sandestin
Atlanta
“Beachside Townhome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Rented a two bdrm attached townhome from the resort for an extended weekend with the family from 4/18 to 4/21. This was our fifth trip to the Sandestin resort in as many years, but our first with our 1 year old. I wanted a detached townhome but they make it so difficult to make this type of selection on the website and the person I spoke with over the phone had no clue. Hopefully management will read this and make adjustments for other travelers.

Our rental was right past the main gate. The rental was dated and everything was showing its age... to put it frankly it was dirty. The creme color carpets were now dark grey from wear and everything needed a good cleaning (especially the stained bdrm linens, bathrm towels, and tubs with previous renter hair). This was disappointing since we did not experience this in past stays (we always stayed at different places in the resort... I like the Luau condo best because it is new, clean, and right off the beach).

It was also disappointing since our child just started walking and we could not comfortably let him explore because there was dirt and dust everywhere and was afraid of what he would find to put in his mouth.

On the positive side, the townhouse was spacious and had all the appliances one would need or want to prepare a home cooked meal. There was a TV in every room and the wifi was fully operational. Not that we spent much time watching TV or using the computer.

Overall, I was disappointed in the accommodations; however, I did not want to give this resort anything less than four stars because I don't want to give the wrong impression of the resort as a whole. It truly is a wonderful place to vacation with the family. The grounds are picture perfect, the beach is always gorgeous (white sand, and crystal clear water), and there is so much to do (see website, I can't list them all).

Be aware that the Starbucks that used to be on property is no longer there. This was a huge bummer, but there is one at the outlet mall not five minutes away. If you get tired of the food at the Wharf we recently discovered two gems: Doughnut Holes and Tommy Bahamas Cafe within a 10 min drive from the resort. DH is a diner, long lines, delicious desserts. TB is a more upscale cafe but the food was delicious, best crab cake I've ever had.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
GeorgiaTech_Traveler,

Thank you so much for choosing and Sandestin. We appreciate your business and we thank you for sharing your experience. We were saddened to see of the condition of your accommodations. Please know this is unacceptable. Your review has been shared with the appropriate departments for action. We are so please to see you enjoyed the resort and all we have to offer. We have so much to do here at the resort...from bikes to kayaks to yolo boarding. The Village has so many activities for the children too. Please contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com as I would like more detail regarding your specific unit. Again, we apologize for your inconvenience and we look forward to your next stay with us.

756 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I just got back from the Sandestin wine festival which is a must for any wine lover. 600 bottles of wine to try and I probably had 400 of them. That said, this property is huge with plenty to do. I might even say that it's too big. You don't have to leave to find entertainment, there is plenty for kids and adults to do on property. The restaurants are really good and not overly priced for this tourist destination. If I have to say anything bad it would be that it isn't ocean front. The rooms are nice with nice views but for those who want ocean front the main building isn't it. They do have trolly's to take you where you want to go but that might annoy some of you. This is a nice place for couples with the club nightlife and bands and this is a nice place for kids with the playgrounds and fishing and even a zip line. It's different so look close before booking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
wooster68,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Sandestin. So pleased to see you were here for the Sandestin Wine Festival. We had a great festival, great wines, food and so much more. We had top chefs and Paula Deen which were a great success and enjoyed by all. We look forward to you visiting us again soon and taking advantage of the many complimentary amenities we have to offer. Be sure to plan for next years Sandestin Wine Festival as well...sure to be bigger and better. Again, we appreciate your business and you choosing to stay and play with us at Sandestin.

mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This resort has many options to offer from stuidos to penthouse rentals . The grounds are very well kept and there are endless things to do . Fishing , biking , shopping , tennis, golfing , ziplines several swimming pools , a great beach and multiple restaurants. There is also large a marina .
The room we stayed in was very clean , the bed comfortable and the pillows just right. There was a microwave , refrigerator , dishes , glasses and silverware.
The staff was great extreemly helpful and polite.
I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor . I didnt like it because there was no privacy unless you kept the curtai...
bopinaround,

Thank you for your great review of Sandestin. We certainly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next stay. We have so much to offer here among our 2400 acres...something for everyone of every age. From beach to bay there are bike trails, sidewalks, kayaks and more. We are so pleased to see you had such a great time and made great memories. We look forward to you sharing some time with us again soon. If I can be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com.

Columbus Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at the Luau property for spring break March 2013. Had an issue checking in and issue with the bedding 1st night, but were resolved the next day by the Manager (Beth) who went way above and beyond expectations ensuring our complete satisfaction. The property is absolutely beautiful, rooms are spacious and well equipped. The resort area is immaculate and the pool was awesome. Being spring break, it was amazingly quiet and so much better than the hustle/bustle of a hotel. Even though it was only in the 60s, we were still able to have a great time. Will be coming back next year and can't wait!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Maui2ndhome,

Thank you so much for the great review of Sandestin. We have so much to offer and we are so pleased to see that you and your family had a great time! So glad we got your immediate issues addressed and you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay. We look forward to your next stay with us. In the meantime, if you need anything feel free to contact me. Again, we appreciate your business and look forward to you creating wonderful memories here at Sandestin for years to come.

Calhoun, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just stayed in the Beachside II Condo complex #4272 (7th floor). Paid 289/ night for 1 bedroom condo. To say the condition of the condo was disappointing is putting it very mildly. Paying 150/night would have made it much more acceptable. Here goes:

One bedrooms have a pull out sofa so for the girls weekend me and my best friend go down and are going to take turns sleeping on the sofa bed, we pull it out and it was nothing but fabric over springs (I mean we all know sofa beds are uncomfortable but this thing was the most ridiculous excuse of a mattress you could possibly imagine, I wouldn't let me 220 lb dog sleep on this thing) so there goes that option.

The coffee maker the top to the water tank was broken the top the coffee pot was broken and when you brewed the coffee the burner wouldn't keep it warm.

The dishwasher drawer would fall open and I mean fall, again broken.

The kitchen was very dated.

The furniture looked like it was from rent a center.

The elevator button on our floor was broken (they had buttons on order and they would come in soon but a lot of good that did us while we were there)

We just had to laugh, it just became so pathetic.

And all of the above is tolerable if we weren't paying 289/night for this crap this is more tolerable at 150 at best. It was truly pathetic.

Of course these are individually owned and property management will use that an excuse blah blah blah, but truth is it is just poor management on their behalf. There needs to be standards they do not fall below and there needs to be a standard inspection of the condos if they want to maintain the price they are asking. We were extremely disappointed with the condition of the room for the price.

The one saving grace was the master bed truly was comfortable and the air condition was good. I will never stay at Sandestin resort again. The complex is so huge you really don't know what you are getting until you get there. Oh and by the way check in is extremely slow, so be prepared.

Room Tip: I would demand pictures of the actually complex they are putting you in. They will push back and if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kristy J,

Thank you for your recent visit to Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort. We appreciate your business and we do hope you will choose to visit us again. We are saddened to see you were not satisfied with your accommodations. We have so many different types of unit to choose from and we are confident we have something that will be perfect for you. Please contact me directly at executiveoffice@sandestin.com when you are ready to visit us again. I will personally see you are placed in a unit that meets all of your needs and your expectations. We have so much to offer here among our 2400 acres and we want you to come and stay and play with us again soon.

Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The most basic element to a good hotel stay is comfortable sleep. The unit we were got prevented this by having a bed that felt like a slab and sheets too small for the mattress so the unfitted bottom sheet became an unmade wadded up mess. The place was clean enough and check in was pleasant and fast, but at checkout we tried to call from the room and couldn't get anyone to answer on the corded room phone so after a few minutes I called on my cell phone so I could continue packing while waiting. The surly person who finally answered chastised me for not using the room phone and refused to check us out, saying we needed to go to the lobby in a different building to do so.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beth S, Manager at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
TheMaven2u,

Thank you for your most recent visit to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We appreciate you choosing Sandestin and we hope you enjoyed your stay and had time to take advantage of all we have to offer. We were sorry to see you were not completely satisfied with your accommodations and we apologize for the bedding issue you encountered. We strive to meet all guests needs and see that you have a memorable stay while you are here at the resort. We do hope you will choose Sandestin again soon. One of our reservation specialist will be happy to assist in getting you in just the right unit that meets all your needs. We look forward to your next arrival.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The resort is beautiful, has tons to offer you and your family and is a resort to enjoy! We bought through a third party, but on arrival decided we wanted to pay for an upgrade to a larger suite. The hotel accommodated this request (although the pice was relatively high to do so.)The upgrade was beautiful and offered all the comforts of home. We were thrilled... Until the very first morning (Easter Sunday) when the renovation next door began at 7am.... We did not realize this was going to be the tone of our whole stay. On day two, renovation started once again at 7 with jack hammering for several hours. I called and spoke to the guest service manager. She promised to look into the matter and call me back to advise what was happening, if we needed to move, if Reno would discontinue. However, she NEVER bothered to call me back. The communication, her lack of care on follow up, and the lack of rest/relaxation thru our vacation was disappointing to say the least (we get only ONE vacation a year mind you.). This renovation and the poor communication almost ruined our trip. Upon my return home, it took me three calls to FINALLY talk to this MANAGER. One night of the UPGRADE fee was reduced off my bill. To me, seems a VERY MEAGER compensation offer.

Room Tip: Ask if there is anything going on in surrounding units. They claim that homeowners do not have to ad...
Nadra W,

Thank you for your review and your most recent stay with us. We apologize for the issue you encountered regarding the renovation on the unit close to you. We do our best to work with all of our owners in regards to these types of issues. I am so sorry for the inconvenience to you and your family. We strive to offer all of our guests the best possible guest service and I apologize we failed you. We do hope you will choose Sandestin again soon. Please contact me at executiveoffice@sandestin.com with your direct contact information. I would like to speak with you in more detail regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!